Sharepoint file migration

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm banging my head against the wall with this one.
I want to migrate an entire server folder structure into a sharepoint page.
I can't seem to make this work, tried using a command line script, no luck.
I then attempted to do it through ie but for some reason ie8 decided and ie9 to not work when I went into explore mode, ie7 seems to work but I haven't had the chance to install it.
Anyone know a simple solution I must be overlooking?

Are you trying to get a bunch of raw files into a document library? What version of sharepoint?

To add to the list of questions...
How were the files originally loaded into SP -- individual uploads through SP interface, drag/drop through Windows Explorer, FTP drop, etc.?
How do you want to see the files listed (if this was working how you planned)?

Edit: If tgabe's suggestion of a document library isn't what you are looking for, then please detail why and provide answers to the pending questions.

Last edited:
SP 3.0 its the free one so just services. The files were never loaded into SP before, so they are in a standard folder/file format. It seems to be an ActiveX issue from what I can tell.

Basically it amounts to the entire sum of the file "server" they were using. At this point the files are still sitting on the new server in a file folder for themselves. I want to drop the entire /oldserver folder into a SP folder, so that it can be files can be accessed with ease.

One logistical issue at this point is that the folder is around 100GB.

You say that you want to migrate files from a file share to document library?

Why not just change your view in the Doc Library to "Explorer View" then simply drag and drop the files from the share?

Yeah that's exactly where the problem is.

When I click explore view I get a "Please wait while Explorer View is loaded. If Explorer View does not appear, your browser may not support it." inside the frame where the files normally can be seen.
On the server itself i just get what amounts to a 404 error.
It looks like it is working on my personal machine it just goes at 2kb/sec which is painfully slow so that explains the lock up. I have been noticing the network seems really sluggish. (On my personal machine I get the same please wait but a explorer window opens up but I can't seem to copy anything over to it, the document appears on the SP site but is 0kb in file size, could just be because its over the internet.
It also locks up my copy interface.)

As I was leaving the office, I got into explorer view in a ie7 machine, so I'm thinking I will just track down a copy of ie7 and use that.
Just was hoping there was another simpler solution like some setting in ie8, that I was overlooking.

Last edited:
Yeah the network drive is the issue, its kinda a complicated situation, because 3 of our users work in a different department that has a different IT manager, and security level, ect.

Basically he said he wasn't going to bother setting up a one way share for only three users.
I mean it would take him all of 5min to set up, but for what ever reason he won't and sites some bs security concerns about data being stolen or some such nonsense.

So to allow these users access to the folder I decided SP would be the best solution.

IE8 should work fine. You can also connect to it like any other network drive.

Yeah the network drive is the issue, its kinda a complicated situation, because 3 of our users work in a different department that has a different IT manager, and security level, ect.

Basically he said he wasn't going to bother setting up a one way share for only three users.
I mean it would take him all of 5min to set up, but for what ever reason he won't and sites some bs security concerns about data being stolen or some such nonsense.

So to allow these users access to the folder I decided SP would be the best solution.

elektronisch is telling you that you can access the document library as a network drive on your pc, so a browser is never needed. You should only need the URL of the library, plug it in the address bar of windows explore. Login, and drag/drop.

Ah I see I was not understanding.
Well that's good to know that its that simple of a fix. So I just need to pop the ip/localname.
I had about 4 other posible solutions to try this morning but looks like it will be much easier than I was expecting.
Much thanks, will update when I get in the office.

Rock.
Thank you guys I knew I was overlooking somthing so simple.
Fixed the issue as well, had to enable desktop exp. in the features.
Now to let sp import a 120gb file structure.

Back