Shared vs Digital Ocean

Metraon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Messages
307
I just recently got a digital ocean server for a django project and I must say the performance, price and commodity is just incredible.

I bought a shared web hosting plan for a wordpress blog/woocommerce 2 years ago and I was wondering if I should move.

Sometimes, I got slow loading times and sometimes everything works just fine. I contacted the support and they say its my theme that is poorly coded. I find it hard to believe because the theme is Avada, one of the most popular theme on themeforest.

I contacted the theme coding theme and they say its my shared web hosting that doesn't allow enough ressources.

Does it worth a try ?
 
Given DigitalOcean's pricing I don't know why people still bother with shared hosting. If you know how to set up a server then there's zero benefit going shared hosting somewhere else (unless you want cPanel or Plesk I suppose). At DigitalOcean you can be nearly certain that the resources promised to you are actually provided.

There are a couple downsides to DigitalOcean though;
1. You can only have 1 IP per droplet (this does suck, at times a lot).
2. If you don't need much memory/cpu but a lot of bandwidth you have to buy larger droplets.

I wouldn't host with DigitalOcean if I were to run into bandwidth issues.
 
I don't think the bandwidth will be an issue, i got about 3 000 visits per month. For the IP I just need one for my ssl certifcate, the current provider charge an extra 100$ a year for a static IP... 2 years ago I was a little bit naive.

I get horrible performance sometimes, and I am more concerned by that. I will give it a shot with something like nginx.

Thanks for your insight !
 
I recently moved from Crown Cloud VPS to a Digital Ocean droplet and I've been very happy with them so far for my small Wordpress+Nginx based blog. Performance and uptime have been good, and the backups/snapshot and other account interface stuff is nice.
 
Digital Ocean was rock solid for me, I'd highly recommend them.
 
Back
Top