Shared Tab Missing

Here is whats up....not using SFS when i right click a folder and go to properties there is no share tab.

Im running xp PRO SP3. This comp has been sharing folders for years now. This morning I got a chkdsk that I couldnt stop. Since then, I cant see the share tab.

Here is what I have done:

restarted comp
enabled and disabled simplefile sharing.

checked to see if file sharing turned in in network connections properties.

Checked running services like server and LAN one and both are on automatic.

Checked registry entires but most seemed to apply to the securitites tab.

used gpedit and checked local permissions.

Only thing I could do is a repair install......I have over 700GB of storage on my disks and I want to reinstall OS as a last resort.

Any Ideas?

I am not sure what I did, but I ran an extension test. Now I am getting something different.

When I right click on locak disk E, i have the tab sharing. When i click permission it gives me an error and says for administratin purposes only. Well, a I went back to the folder I wanted to share and now I can share it. WTF.....I did add a service under my LAC but I was guessing. I cant say i solved the problem, but have accomlished what i needed to accomplish.

BTW, I ran a CCleaner and checked hijackthis.

Used the registry cleaner with CC and no changes in hijack this

I think i figured it out. It was a permissions/ownership problem.

There was some strange ID as the owner which disabled the sharing key. I had to take ownership only after I gave myself full control of the file. Once I did this, the sharing tab came back. Dunno what changed it.

Back