Share vista folder over network with xp computers?

ampedxc27

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got a new pc with vista recently and I needed to share some folders over the network, like I've done in XP.

I had trouble first even finding how to share something with the sharing "wizard", but I found out how to share it almost like it xp with the right click and properties and all that.

Now on my other computers I can't see the vista pc shared folders in my network places, but I can see the vista pc under workgroup computers.

However, when I click on it, it says it needs a username and password, which I never set up before.

Nothing will let me connect to it or see the shared folders.

But from the vista computer under network I can see the shared folders and from here it looks like it's working, except it's not.

This has been driving me crazy, anyone know how to do this!?

In xp it was so simple, vista had to come along and make EVERYTHING unintuitive...

Anyway, thanks for any help in advance!

As a test, turn off the Vista firewall. I had a similar issue with DLNA and the Vista firewall was the issue.

I didn't have the vista firewall on since I have a kaspersky firewall, so I turned that off and it didn't do anything.

Go into Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center.

Check the settings for:
- File Sharing
- Public Folder Sharing
- Password Protected Sharing

You should be able to clear it up there.

Do this. This is how i do my vista/xp network. This will fix your password that you never setup problem. I almost 100 % sure.

1. Select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, and click Ok.

Make a password for your main account than UNCHECK "user must enter password/username to use this computer"

Than go to the computer thats asking for the password and enter the password u just set here and it will let you use the network.

Let me know if this works for you to.

edit: Opps, forgot i was browsing pages and didn't realize this was a older thread.

Back