Share Play from Sony , what a failure already.

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
http://kotaku.com/how-digital-game-sharing-on-the-ps4-will-work-1621424897

Note that because SharePlay is basically the streaming of gameplay between 2 PS4s, it stands to reason that whoever is lending their game will basically be lending both their game AND their PS4. If your friend wants to borrow a game for an hour or so, it means you won't be able to use your PS4 during that time – unless it's to assist, disrupt, or just plain troll your friend.

A Sony representative reached out to explain that Famitsu's interpretation of this quote was incorrect. Says Sony: "In Share Play, the visitor (the one who doesn't own the game) takes over the host (the one who owns the game)'s account, so the visitor cannot save their play data onto their own account."

And Via Gamespot : http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-upcoming-game-sharing-feature-limits-you-to-6/1100-6421730/

Following a report by French site Gameblog (via Attack of the Fanboy), Sony has confirmed with GameSpot that Share Play users will be limited to 60 minutes per session. There's no limit on the number of times you can use Share Play, meaning you can conceivably start Share Play up again and continue playing. Of course, this is hardly ideal, and likely not what people envisioned when Share Play was revealed during Sony's Gamescom press conference.

Seriously Sony are you fucking high? Why even bother with this feature. I can only think of maybe a handful of times when it MIGHT come in handy. Its obviously a feature meant to encourage a player who doesn't own a game to "try" and then buy that game. Its not "sharing" its "demoing" and its shady at best.

The fact that Sony is attempting to pass this off as a similar setup to what the Microsoft proposed pre-DRM madness is even more insulting.

This being presented as a ground breaking feature is just dumb. I have game share access enabled with my brother's Xbox One account and we can share our ENTIRE libraries with each other. We pay half price for games because of that (he pays $30 and I pay $30) and its entirely kosher with Microsoft. Yes , you can only do this with one person but at least its an actual form of sharing that makes sense as we buy games we likely wouldn't on our own simply because of the reduced cost.

I guess this stems from the fact that the PS4 is the champ of next gen consoles and has a healthy advantage in number of units sold. So Sony doesn't feel it needs to do the extra mile to remain in happily in place.

This is why Microsoft needs to keep being aggressive in its practices (like how it got exclusive rights to Tomb Raider). Say what you want about the Xbox One but without it being a valid and threatening competitor Sony would just make features like this even more useless.

Yes, it's a try-before-you-buy or help-with-the-boss feature. Pretty sure it's never been sold as anything else, but I haven't been following too closely.

The idea seems to be to take over the input (or hopefully take over 'the other controller' in case of coop) on the remote host and have it stream its output as video to you. This is completely different from the sort of game sharing you're talking about. Different use-case, different implementation.

People who thought it was a play-my-friends-game-to-completion-for-free-over-the-internet feature really only have themselves to blame.

Last edited:
Seriously Sony are you fucking high? Why even bother with this feature. I can only think of maybe a handful of times when it MIGHT come in handy. Its obviously a feature meant to encourage a player who doesn't own a game to "try" and then buy that game. Its not "sharing" its "demoing" and its shady at best.

The fact that Sony is attempting to pass this off as a similar setup to what the Microsoft proposed pre-DRM madness is even more insulting.

This being presented as a ground breaking feature is just dumb.

I guess this stems from the fact that the PS4 is the champ of next gen consoles and has a healthy advantage in number of units sold. So Sony doesn't feel it needs to do the extra mile to remain in happily in place.

This is why Microsoft needs to keep being aggressive in its practices (like how it got exclusive rights to Tomb Raider). Say what you want about the Xbox One but without it being a valid and threatening competitor Sony would just make features like this even more useless.

111.gif

A bunch of people fell for Sony's marketing and jumped on board the hate wagon of the X1. As such you're going to have people blindly defending anything Sony does and criticize anything MS does. The X1 is a considerably better gaming experience than the ps4 and has the better library right now imo. I like the features and the changes the X1 team is releasing for the X1 and imo they are being far more proactive than the Sony team. Sony got lucky with their marketing at release but their true stripes are showing and they're going to more than likely be reactive rather than proactive due to their complacency on winning the marketing game the first year out.

And? The services Sony offers currently are sub par to what both the Wii U and the X1 offer. That is fact. Both the Wii U and the X1 are releasing content and services considerably quicker than the PS4 and are communicating with their fan base more so than Sony.

Sony won the opening round and they have some upcoming games that I'm very excited for; however, they have been complacent and content to rest on their current success. Consumers are historically very fickle, something that Sony has apparently forgot and the market will be quick to turn on them if they continue at this pace.

Gotta say I like most of what their doing minus a couple things , the stability updates :( psnow and this share play are a joke.

I just hope the PlayStation TV I have ordered works like we all hope.

The services Sony offers currently are sub par to what both the Wii U and the X1 offer. That is fact.

If by 'services and content' you include games, I would postulate that the fact that the PS4 exclusive TLoU topped the NPD charts last month signals that this is in fact not "a fact".

If you're not then I can't imagine how you rank the Wii-U over the PS4 given that Nintendo still haven't figured out the first thing about online and accounts.

Sony's always been bad on the firmware side, but worse than Nintendo? Guffaw.

Gotta say I like most of what their doing minus a couple things , the stability updates :( psnow and this share play are a joke.

I just hope the PlayStation TV I have ordered works like we all hope.

Well the leaked screens of the new firm show folders which is a god send because everything as it is pretty much gets vomited up on a straight row with no order to it. Say what you want about the unfortunately weird navigation of the Xbox One UI .. at least I can arrange it.

Sony has and will always suck at firmware. As a long time PS3 user the best advice I can give is to NOT update to whatever firmware they issue for at least a few days because more than a few times in the past they've issued firmware for the PS3 that has lead to many a bricked console.

Sony is winning (well its a matter of opinion but sales wise..) in terms of games but they won't last them forever with constantly missing features.

Well the leaked screens of the new firm show folders which is a god send because everything as it is pretty much gets vomited up on a straight row with no order to it. Say what you want about the unfortunately weird navigation of the Xbox One UI .. at least I can arrange it.

Sony has and will always suck at firmware. As a long time PS3 user the best advice I can give is to NOT update to whatever firmware they issue for at least a few days because more than a few times in the past they've issued firmware for the PS3 that has lead to many a bricked console.

Sony is winning (well its a matter of opinion but sales wise..) in terms of games but they won't last them forever with constantly missing features.

Yeah I've had ps3 since launch too and even now especially since I have every ps+ game installed all I want is to have my games in alphabetic order.

I really hope Ps now gets a reasonable sub plan for those who don't have the older systems.

And maybe this share play limit can be force changed by the masses.

This has not, nor will ever be "good" for gaming.
Let me break it down for you.
You have exclusives that are made in house.

You have exclusives, like the recent Sunset Overdrive, where the developer gets to keep control of their product, so staying on one system makes sense.

You have exclusives, like Bayonetta 2, where one of the big companies helps fund the game which would have never been made otherwise.

With all of these I have no problem buying the game and is the reason I own all the major systems.

Then you have crap like this where one company pays to keep the game off other systems. This is complete anti-consumer shit. This is not helping the gamer. This is not creating exciting content for your fans. This is not making me want to support your company by hiring the most talented artist in the industry and giving them a chance to wow me. This is 100% complete mafia bullshit of taking out all competition and leaving me one single choice. So no, Microsoft does NOT need these aggressive tactics, they need to fucking make their own shit and they deserve all the backlash for that.

Sounds like Sony is trying to do the same thing Steam has with it's family share and stream playing.

This has not, nor will ever be "good" for gaming.
Let me break it down for you.

So either we unify all the platforms and exclusive games disappear entirely from the industry and also destroy the console industry as we know it or we accept that exclusives are and have been apart of the industry as a whole and this is business as usual.

Blowing your top over one game franchise being a TIMED exclusive for 2015 (this has been confirmed by the way..) is absolutely hyperbole. The sky is not falling , nothing has changed greatly from Tomb Raider landing on the Xbox One first next year. Sony will not "suffer" in fact if anything Sony will get the next Tomb Raider with all the DLC included and probably a graphics upgrade. PC gamers got fucked Tomb Raider , they got an inferior (graphically speaking) version of the game compared to the PS4 and the Xbox one both of which had superior player models , textures and shadows. Did they make a big fuss out of it? Nope.

Microsoft gets to move some consoles and generate interest and sales and Sony gets pudding before dinner..

Time to just relax and stop acting like exclusives which have been around for.. EVER are somehow in 2015 going to destroy the industry. What will destroy the industry for consumers? Preorder mania and preorder DLC location specific content are the real evils the gaming industry are pushing.

So either we unify all the platforms and exclusive games disappear entirely from the industry and also destroy the console industry as we know it or we accept that exclusives are and have been apart of the industry as a whole and this is business as usual.

Blowing your top over one game franchise being a TIMED exclusive for 2015 (this has been confirmed by the way..) is absolutely hyperbole. The sky is not falling , nothing has changed greatly from Tomb Raider landing on the Xbox One first next year. Sony will not "suffer" in fact if anything Sony will get the next Tomb Raider with all the DLC included and probably a graphics upgrade. PC gamers got fucked Tomb Raider , they got an inferior (graphically speaking) version of the game compared to the PS4 and the Xbox one both of which had superior player models , textures and shadows. Did they make a big fuss out of it? Nope.

Microsoft gets to move some consoles and generate interest and sales and Sony gets pudding before dinner..

Time to just relax and stop acting like exclusives which have been around for.. EVER are somehow in 2015 going to destroy the industry. What will destroy the industry for consumers? Preorder mania and preorder DLC location specific content are the real evils the gaming industry are pushing.

Now ain't that the truth. Even Sony's done this in the past. Its normal business but with the way news gets out and the internet gives everyone a voice a lot more noise is made now but this has been going on forever hell it was Nintendo SOP back in the day.

How did you get this from what I quoted? It doesn't say that at all.
The Tomb Raider thing is bullshit because its been paid to NOT appear on other platforms, for no other reason than to say "hey we got an exclusive!". Nevermind its a sequel to a multiplatform game from one year ago that was not in any danger of having production issues in making a new game. MS didn't save development like Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2, they straight up paid SE to NOT put their sequel on any other platform for an 'undisclosed amount of time'. You really think this is good for the fans expecting a sequel on the platform they played the first one, but have been stonewalled by moneyhatting? Thats absurd. This is not the same as previous exclusives you are thinking about, and I even gave you 3 examples of how it should work. This isn't helping MS, its creating bad blood within the fanbase of said franchise.

EDIT:, damn it.... we are going off topic again.
Honestly dont even know what this share thing is about, probably will never use this anyway.

Last edited:
If i remember correctly this was originally advertised as being used to jump into your friends game for a bit to help them with a section or what ever and not a method to play your friends library for hours.... i don't care much about this feature anyways.

I don't think this is going to work all that well anyways as most people upload speed is crap for streaming stuff.

If you're not then I can't imagine how you rank the Wii-U over the PS4 given that Nintendo still haven't figured out the first thing about online and accounts.

Sony's always been bad on the firmware side, but worse than Nintendo? Guffaw.

Go back through and see how many patches and firmware upgrades brick PS3 and PS4 units then compare that to the Wii and the Wii U. Considering the multiple class action lawsuits against Sony bricking consoles I think its safe to say Sony is significantly worse than Nintendo imo.

The X1 is pretty much destroying the PS4 in content, not games, through its patching service. The X1 beta team has perhaps the best feedback in the industry and is responsive to it's testers. Each update continues to bring about added services, that while should have been there all along at least they're listening. Sony just plays the waiting game and see what moves the X1 makes and what consumers say about it then they adjust accordingly.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the TLoU on both the PS3 and 4 but outside of Infamous:SS the PS4 hasn't offered anything worthwhile yet whereas DR3, Ryse, Titanfall, and Forza all got extensive playtime and continue to this day. Sony seems content to drag their feet and it is frustrating. Just hope The Order 1886 turns out to be good because I'm pretty excited to play that.

Dr3, ryse, and titan fall got barely any playtime after the initial play through. I beat ryse and dr3 and never went back.

Titan fall is titanfail and does not keep me entertained.

Go back through and see how many patches and firmware upgrades brick PS3 and PS4 units then compare that to the Wii and the Wii U. Considering the multiple class action lawsuits against Sony bricking consoles I think its safe to say Sony is significantly worse than Nintendo imo.

The X1 is pretty much destroying the PS4 in content, not games, through its patching service. The X1 beta team has perhaps the best feedback in the industry and is responsive to it's testers. Each update continues to bring about added services, that while should have been there all along at least they're listening. Sony just plays the waiting game and see what moves the X1 makes and what consumers say about it then they adjust accordingly.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the TLoU on both the PS3 and 4 but outside of Infamous:SS the PS4 hasn't offered anything worthwhile yet whereas DR3, Ryse, Titanfall, and Forza all got extensive playtime and continue to this day. Sony seems content to drag their feet and it is frustrating. Just hope The Order 1886 turns out to be good because I'm pretty excited to play that.

To play the devil's advocate I think you are selling short the PS4 Indie titles which have been astoundingly good. I think if you add those in plus a few of the exclusive titles Sony has released thus far for the PS4 its a very well rounded package in its first 6 months.

However I do fully agree with you concerning Sony's blah attitude towards meaningful firmware updates. They've done basically ...jack and shit. The only positive we can look forward to with 2.0 is .. folders. That's a pretty sad thing to really only be meaningful to all PS4 owners. It reflects , again as I pointed out previously , their attitude to currently being atop the next gen console pile. They just do not feel the need to rush out updates and because of that Microsoft is fine tuning their console and really impressing everyone in the process (even hardcore PS4 fanboys would be hard pressed to complain about anything in that regard).

I don't really hold the first few years of a console in any high regard. We didn't get really good games for the 360 or PS3 for years. We got games that I bet most of you can't even remember playing and that pretty much says it all. I fully expect this next year and half to be just a swing to the wind and not many games that will be remembered (Titanfall for the One and TLOU for the PS4 probably being exceptions down the line).

If I was Microsoft I would be seriously considering a $300 price point. Many people would find that very attractive especially considering that's the Wii-U price point as well right now. Microsoft's best bet might be just make Sony take a deeper cut to the wallet since Microsoft has billions of dollars surplus and can afford to lay some skin into the game while Sony is just now finally getting into the black (very slowly..).

But yea this Share feature is filler. Sony shouldn't be marching around trying to pretend they've figured out how to turn your shit into diamonds which is kind of the attitude they have about it.

You really expect Sony and other game developers to give games away for free? What about games like Borderlands and Evolve that are co-op heavy? People that only play CoD and BF series for online? You know how much money the developer would lose and you expect them to be ok with it?

To play the devil's advocate I think you are selling short the PS4 Indie titles which have been astoundingly good. I think if you add those in plus a few of the exclusive titles Sony has released thus far for the PS4 its a very well rounded package in its first 6 months.

However I do fully agree with you concerning Sony's blah attitude towards meaningful firmware updates. They've done basically ...jack and shit. The only positive we can look forward to with 2.0 is .. folders. That's a pretty sad thing to really only be meaningful to all PS4 owners. It reflects , again as I pointed out previously , their attitude to currently being atop the next gen console pile. They just do not feel the need to rush out updates and because of that Microsoft is fine tuning their console and really impressing everyone in the process (even hardcore PS4 fanboys would be hard pressed to complain about anything in that regard).

I don't really hold the first few years of a console in any high regard. We didn't get really good games for the 360 or PS3 for years. We got games that I bet most of you can't even remember playing and that pretty much says it all. I fully expect this next year and half to be just a swing to the wind and not many games that will be remembered (Titanfall for the One and TLOU for the PS4 probably being exceptions down the line).

If I was Microsoft I would be seriously considering a $300 price point. Many people would find that very attractive especially considering that's the Wii-U price point as well right now. Microsoft's best bet might be just make Sony take a deeper cut to the wallet since Microsoft has billions of dollars surplus and can afford to lay some skin into the game while Sony is just now finally getting into the black (very slowly..).

But yea this Share feature is filler. Sony shouldn't be marching around trying to pretend they've figured out how to turn your shit into diamonds which is kind of the attitude they have about it.

I agree wholeheartedly and if I've failed to convey this in my previous posts but yea I've mainly been critical of Sony's complacency with the PS4. Game wise I understand it takes a couple years to start really releasing better games so I don't punish either of them for having a scarce lineup on launch. The PS4 does have some fun little indie nuggets but originally I was trying to remain focused on the content, I.e. patches and services released, as that is a more justifiable metric. Games are mostly opinion based as seen above. If Sony continues to operate this way I feel they are going to alienate their fan base that has either 2 or 3 of their competitors consoles.

Ryse(coming to PC) and Titanfall(PC) were shit. And now with DR3 coming to PC, Xbox isn't holding much ground here. At the same time PS4 is losing Metal Gear as a console exclusive so IMO both consoles are tanking.

Ryse(coming to PC) and Titanfall(PC) were shit. And now with DR3 coming to PC, Xbox isn't holding much ground here. At the same time PS4 is losing Metal Gear as a console exclusive so IMO both consoles are tanking.

MGR: R, MGS: GZ and MGS: HD were never console exclusive. Both MS and Sony consoles have them, this and last gen.

2014 is kind of meh for console exclusives. Sunset Overdrive is getting lots of hype. I think it may be fun but not worth buying any console for just one game. I'm looking forward to 2015 though. Until then I have a Steam backlog to keep me plenty busy.

MGR: R, MGS: GZ and MGS: HD were never console exclusive. Both MS and Sony consoles have them, this and last gen.

2014 is kind of meh for console exclusives. Sunset Overdrive is getting lots of hype. I think it may be fun but not worth buying any console for just one game. I'm looking forward to 2015 though. Until then I have a Steam backlog to keep me plenty busy.

Those weren't serious metal gear games IMO. But what I meant was it's losing console exclusive. They recently announced the future metal gear games will be coming to Steam for PC.

Those weren't serious metal gear games IMO. But what I meant was it's losing console exclusive. They recently announced the future metal gear games will be coming to Steam for PC.

Serious? Why not? I'll give you MGR: R which is on PC but the other are. GZ is part of MGSV afterall.

MGS: Twin Snakes, a remake of MGS1 was on Gamecube. MGS2 Substance got released on original Xbox as well as P1.

Looks like MGS4 is the only “true” exclusive to Sony. Guess you could count MGS3 going to PS2 days but not anymore with the HD release.

Maybe its because I've been following these features for a while, but this is nothing new to me. Sony even stated last year at E3 2013 that share play would be helpful when you are stuck at a certain part in the game and would like a friend to take over and complete it for you. Thinking that you'd just be able to friend request anyone and then play their games (and maintain all the benefits from owning it) is a bit unrealistic if that is really what you thought.

Maybe its because I've been following these features for a while, but this is nothing new to me. Sony even stated last year at E3 2013 that share play would be helpful when you are stuck at a certain part in the game and would like a friend to take over and complete it for you. Thinking that you'd just be able to friend request anyone and then play their games (and maintain all the benefits from owning it) is a bit unrealistic if that is really what you thought.

No it's not just you, it's this forums mentality towards Sony. Shareplay at it's hart is basically couch play. In single player games you will be able to hand the controller off to anyone in your friends list to play for an hour. They can play longer you just have to invite them again. Co-Op allows you to invite anyone into a game and play alongside you, and a guest could play online MP using the Host game so long as they have PS+.

Comparing this to Game Sharing on Xbox One like the OP did is mighty stupid. He went into detail for a whole paragraph for whatever reason. I guess he doesn't know that two people with PS4's can do the exact same thing.

Proclaiming Shareplay is a failure is asinine, the only way to fix what the OP is bitching about is to give the game away for free over PS Now which again is something that will apparently fail. Can't use your PS4 to play TLoU: Remastered while your 3rd cousin 2000 miles away plays Destiny on your PS4 using Shareplay?

Well damn that!

Really?

They didn't just design this 3 days ago with the 10 million units sold announcement. This has been in development since before the console even launched, so unless Kazuo Hirai, Shuhei Yoshida, Jack Tretton, Mark Cerny and crew are time travelers this isin't Sony being lax and not giving a damn. I'm pretty sure this is the first time this has been tried (along with PS Now, Cross Buy, Morpheus, PS+ free games, etc.) and shows they are at least trying.

Last edited:
And that's not to say Microsoft is not trying either, they have been very proactive on fixing issues and updating firmware. The exclusive ROTTR thing in my opinion was not so much MS securing it as much as it was SE going to MS to get monetary and technical support to release it by Holiday 2015 and later on other platforms (maybe or maybe not PS4), SE (again in my opinion) didn't want to release their game beside Uncharted 4 and would rather release well after that game had died down sales wise.

It doesn't make sense otherwise because I doubt MS would be willing to front the kind of money it would have took to release only on a 1/3rd of Square Enixs potential base.

Last edited:
They should just implement what the 3ds does. If I own a game, I start up multiplayer, and can invite my friends to join my game. They do a short download, then boom - we are playing my game together - be it coop, or competitive or whatever. Then the game developer can program as much or as little as they want. This would be a great service for all involved.

And next-Jin with the knee jerk argument for the fail. Keeping it as per usual.

Its a half baked feature which you obviously can't see for whatever blinding reason. You can share your entire library with a friend on the Xbox One without dumb ass restrictions like 60 minutes of play. Share Play is a glorified demo feature which will not make a significant impact in terms of new product being sold. Simply releasing real demos would be more effective then Share Play will. The PS4 doesn't need it and Sony should be focusing on meaningful firmware updates instead and not just adding "folders".

Proclaiming that this forum has some kind of Xbox One preference is just about the most ludacris thing you've said in this thread so far.

Also if you don't like paragraphs don't read them. Posting a snarky .gif doesn't somehow convey anything other than your inability to express your point of view , neither does attacking me in posts.

Why don't you instead make your own thread and articulate your reasons for why Share Play isn't a failure? Or go back to the Wii U is dead thread and keep kicking that skeleton because that argument isn't dead beyond reason so you and Vlad can keep it alive.

And next-Jin with the knee jerk argument for the fail. Keeping it as per usual.

Its a half baked feature which you obviously can't see for whatever blinding reason. You can share your entire library with a friend on the Xbox One without dumb ass restrictions like 60 minutes of play. Share Play is a glorified demo feature which will not make a significant impact in terms of new product being sold. Simply releasing real demos would be more effective then Share Play will. The PS4 doesn't need it and Sony should be focusing on meaningful firmware updates instead and not just adding "folders".

Proclaiming that this forum has some kind of Xbox One preference is just about the most ludacris thing you've said in this thread so far.

Also if you don't like paragraphs don't read them. Posting a snarky .gif doesn't somehow convey anything other than your inability to express your point of view , neither does attacking me in posts.

Why don't you instead make your own thread and articulate your reasons for why Share Play isn't a failure? Or go back to the Wii U is dead thread and keep kicking that skeleton because that argument isn't dead beyond reason so you and Vlad can keep it alive.

Uh yea the gif conveyed everything that needed to be conveyed. You are comparing Game sharing from the Xbox One to Share Play like it's Sonys answer to Game Share. The PS4 already has that feature and has had it since day 1.

Ask me how I know.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Xbox One didn't even have a feature like this pre-180 nor does it have any announced plans to do something like this in the future. You again mention this being similar to Microsofts offerings before they changed course which I assume you mean "Game Sharing" and not what Shareplay actually is.

If you don't care about Shareplay that's cool, but your entire post (basically all of them) keep comparing it to something Sony already has. Shareplay is a completely new thing that has not been done before and brings back the couchplay experience. How that is demoing or even remotely comparable to Demos is absurd to even try to comprehend. Here let me quote myself so you can take it all in.

next-Jin said:
No it's not just you, it's this forums mentality towards Sony. Shareplay at it's heart is basically couch play. In single player games you will be able to hand the controller off to anyone in your friends list to play for an hour. They can play longer you just have to invite them again. Co-Op allows you to invite anyone into a game and play alongside you, and a guest could play online MP using the Host game so long as they have PS+.

Comparing this to Game Sharing on Xbox One like the OP did is mighty stupid. He went into detail for a whole paragraph for whatever reason. I guess he doesn't know that two people with PS4's can do the exact same thing.

Proclaiming Shareplay is a failure is asinine, the only way to fix what the OP is bitching about is to give the game away for free over PS Now which again is something that will apparently fail. Can't use your PS4 to play TLoU: Remastered while your 3rd cousin 2000 miles away plays Destiny on your PS4 using Shareplay?

Well damn that!

Really?

They didn't just design this 3 days ago with the 10 million units sold announcement. This has been in development since before the console even launched, so unless Kazuo Hirai, Shuhei Yoshida, Jack Tretton, Mark Cerny and crew are time travelers this isin't Sony being lax and not giving a damn. I'm pretty sure this is the first time this has been tried (along with PS Now, Cross Buy, Morpheus, PS+ free games, etc.) and shows they are at least trying.

Let's try it just this one more time covering what Shareplay is;

next-Jin said:
Shareplay at it's heart is basically couch play. In single player games you will be able to hand the controller off to anyone in your friends list to play for an hour. They can play longer you just have to invite them again. Co-Op allows you to invite anyone into a game and play alongside you, and a guest could play online MP using the Host game so long as they have PS+.

A demo does not allow someone to play the entire game, a demo requires disc space and time to download, a demo does not usually encourage social involvement, and a demo requires every developer of every game released from this point on to waste time and money to do the same thing this does.

Nope, not saying this forum has a Xbox One preference. In fact most everyone here was extremely critical of their original DRM fiasco. My point is that the term "Sony" no matter what it is (much like Apple) will be shit on. They can't do anything right it seems, which is why I stopped posting Sony related news. I could have posted the news regarding Gamescom where they introduced many new IPs and released sales figures basically confirming what I said months ago that the PS4 would double Xbox One sales globally and have significant leads in usual MS dominated markets. I didn't do that however because oh look it's Jin with another Sony fanboy post.

The Wii U thread ran its course, nothing else needs to be said. The same thing with the PS4 vs One discussions, nothing else needs to be said. Everything I said for the duration of those debates ended up true or happened the way I said they would. I'm not going to keep debating with people who are doing what you are doing right now and never acknowledge something and choose to ignore it.

What I will challenge however is ridiculous posts that critically attack (MS or Sony) when the comparisons or arguments are flat out wrong. Thousands of people read these boards daily and something like game sharing is very beneficial. To outright try and present an argument that falsely asserts something and then not even acknowledge it when provided that information is purposely deceitful to readers.

Uh yea the gif conveyed everything that needed to be conveyed. You are comparing Game sharing from the Xbox One to Share Play like it's Sonys answer to Game Share. The PS4 already has that feature and has had it since day 1.

WARNING : Paragraphs incoming for those sensitive to "reading"

Nope , that gif was your snarky comment and nothing more. It didn't follow text or any opinion it was simply to mock the entire post (which you quoted the entire post) and saying otherwise is actually disingenuous. In fact you sticking to your "guns" on it pretty much holds proves my point.

Also the PS4 doesn't actually have it to the extent the Xbox one does. I can't use this feature with a friend I have in Ireland on the PS4 (tried today in fact) but my brother and I share this feature on our Xbox One's and he is living in Germany. So Sony doesn't have it enabled world wide the way Xbox One does it seems. Unless this was some kind of temporary issue which I doubt.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Xbox One didn't even have a feature like this pre-180 nor does it have any announced plans to do something like this in the future. You again mention this being similar to Microsofts offerings before they changed course which I assume you mean "Game Sharing" and not what Shareplay actually is.

If you don't care about Shareplay that's cool, but your entire post (basically all of them) keep comparing it to something Sony already has. Shareplay is a completely new thing that has not been done before and brings back the couchplay experience. How that is demoing or even remotely comparable to Demos is absurd to even try to comprehend. Here let me quote myself so you can take it all in.

Actually the share feature , pre-180 , was going to be much more extensive and allow up to 10 people you could activate as "friends and family". But now I'm not exactly sure what the limit is but likely lower than 10.

Share play is a video streaming service to another PS4. Its basically Playstation Now using your PS4. Its not a native run of the game but a fed stream with input latency and a low video bit rate. Its a 60 minute shot of any game but once that ends you have to restart it. Since you likely can't beat whatever game you intend to play in 60 minutes .. its a demo. Plain and simple.

Let's try it just this one more time covering what Shareplay is;

A demo does not allow someone to play the entire game, a demo requires disc space and time to download, a demo does not usually encourage social involvement, and a demo requires every developer of every game released from this point on to waste time and money to do the same thing this does.

Demo's are social in fact. Word of mouth is considered social and for decades demo's have been a fantastic way to show off new product without an expensive infrastructure to stream it and only recently (like on the Wii U) without dumb play through limitations. Downloading a demo or streaming a 5mbps stream for 60 minutes probably rounds out to similar bandwidth requirements (but this is on a case by case basis I admit). Disk space is a weak argument , once you finish the demo you delete it. End of story. You don't need to keep it and why would you? Its done its job of helping make up your mind if you are interested and all without you having to kidnap your friends console to stream it.

Nope, not saying this forum has a Xbox One preference. In fact most everyone here was extremely critical of their original DRM fiasco. My point is that the term "Sony" no matter what it is (much like Apple) will be shit on. They can't do anything right it seems, which is why I stopped posting Sony related news. I could have posted the news regarding Gamescom where they introduced many new IPs and released sales figures basically confirming what I said months ago that the PS4 would double Xbox One sales globally and have significant leads in usual MS dominated markets. I didn't do that however because oh look it's Jin with another Sony fanboy post.

No it's not just you, it's this forums mentality towards Sony

So you didn't say this? Are you implying this forum has a bias towards Nintendo then instead? Since you are referencing Xbox One I made the logical assumption that was where you wre directing that comment towards. But fine if you don't actually believe that then lets move on..

The Wii U thread ran its course, nothing else needs to be said. The same thing with the PS4 vs One discussions, nothing else needs to be said. Everything I said for the duration of those debates ended up true or happened the way I said they would. I'm not going to keep debating with people who are doing what you are doing right now and never acknowledge something and choose to ignore it.

Its funny you say that because you know , for a fact , that when the next big game comes out it will get bumped and a whole new slew of bullshit will come pouring out of the usual figures of that thread. If there is a bias on this forum its AGAINST the Wii U unquestionably I think. But that's all I'll say about it here , I don't want to continue that pointless discussion anymore than I have and likely I regret even stating that (somewhat..).

What I will challenge however is ridiculous posts that critically attack (MS or Sony) when the comparisons or arguments are flat out wrong. Thousands of people read these boards daily and something like game sharing is very beneficial. To outright try and present an argument that falsely asserts something and then not even acknowledge it when provided that information is purposely deceitful to readers.

Ridiculous posts? You mean my opinion in the thread I created? Yea I'm going to call bullshit on that. As much as you are entitled to be critical of my summations I am entitled to have them in the first place. Proclaiming an argument "flat out" wrong as if your word is the final word to be had is precisely the reason I'm responding to your reply. You make continued assumptions because you feel I'm "falsely asserting" something and that its deceitful to "readers" here on this forum is laughable.

Allow me to explain something to you..

This is a forum. On the Internet. The very existence of it is to assert opinions from a point of thread managed based conversation. Declaring someone's opinion "deceitful" and "wrong" is entirely user subjective and not factual.

You obviously have a totally different viewpoint when it comes to Share Play , you see it as a "couch" driven feature and I see it as a gigantic waste of resources and time that will likely never amount to a serious impact in sales that simple word of mouth and a real demo can provide and have effectively driven for decades.

Continuing this discussion with you probably won't result in much of a final point and mutual agreement so that's my final say on the topic. If you want to champion further discussion there won't be much point.

My feelings on Share Play will remain unchanged.

Oh you can have your opinion all day, if you took the time to understand context and the point of both my posts you'd know that I am being critical of your multiple comparisons to Game Sharing.

And still on your now third response you have not acknowledged that. Take out the comparisons and mentions of Game Sharing and you can rant all day. You acknowledge the fact that Sony has a similar version (no idea if it works between regions) so at least that's a start. I use it from South Korea along with my brother in law in the US. I bought the PS4 from Amazon at launch so both are US consoles and I use a R7000 with DD-WRT and a script for privateinternetaccess VPN to US servers.

We can definitely debate the merits of Shareplay without even arguing. But your directly comparing it and mentioning numerous times Game Share and Shareplay as if they are even remotely the same when I have told you every time now that the PS4 already has that feature.

Shareplay is something new entirely and while you might not like what it provides that's fine, I'm not arguing with your opinion. I'm trying to tell you that you are confusing the shit out of people by making that comparison every time you post.

EDIT: oh and btw Shareplay allows you to invite people at anytime so you could feasibly play an entire game via Shareplay so no it's not just a demo.

If you DO understand the difference why even mention Game Sharing in the first place? It has nothing to do with it, and your wording would make anyone think otherwise.

Last edited:
lol the irony of SONY people thinking that the company full of luddites whos primary win was sticking to the 30 year old disk format was going to give you good value. They won this console war pretty much now its time for them to start squeezing the money out.

lol the irony of SONY people thinking that the company full of luddites whos primary win was sticking to the 30 year old disk format was going to give you good value. They won this console war pretty much now its time for them to start squeezing the money out.

Xbox fan boy? Being able to share a game for free though limited is hardly "squeezing the money out."

Xbox fan boy? Being able to share a game for free though limited is hardly "squeezing the money out."

They are intending for this to be an additional source of income for third parties and themselves with royalties. They are a business, but at the same time they are giving their base another feature that (some) might find extremely useful.

I would imagine there will be new companies formed to "farm trophies", so that might be interesting.

For me, the thought of turning my PS4 on and going to my friends list to see what they are playing, heading to their stream (if they are broadcasting), then asking for an invite to play seems awesome.

Any of my hundreds of friends, any of the hundreds of games, all in the less than a minute to jump into. This is not even getting into the idea they pitched earlier where people viewing streams could create choices, or obstacles for the player. Think about a game where 200 or so people viewing a stream each one vying for a chance to jump in to see how well they do just to have the other 199 people trying to sabotage them.

It's an interesting concept and this is part of that stepping stone.

At least you admit they won the console war, bitter 360 fan. :D

Back