Shaping sheet metal??

AMV

Limp Gawd
hey guys I was wondering if anyone has seen any good faqs or howtos for shaping sheet metal, I have the outer shroud of an old 486 that I want to shape into a cylinder, if anyone has any Ideas as to how to do this easily, that would be appreciated

Find a hard object in the shape and size you're going for, or make your own out of wood. Then set the shroud around the object, clamp it into place, and use a rubber or nylon mallet to form the desired shape.

ok, but I imagine wacking away at a sheet of steel will make a bit of noise right? like should I schedule this when the wife is not home... or would it be loud enough to piss off the neighbours?? (i did some metal pounding the outher day (metal on metal) and it was just too loud. anyway, thanks for the advice thus far

Like so? (aluminum)
:D
http://www.computer-choppers.com/pics/caseteaser1.jpg

go buy some cheap wood 1/2" thick at least. Cut out like 8 circles. Put spacers in between each one and then nail them together in the form of a cylinder. Work the metal (your best bet is aluminum........not that shitty steel your 486 is made from)....into the proper shape and then clamp it at the seam.

Hammer it with a mallet so it keeps it's shape somewhat or get a torch and heat it up a lot so it'll keep it's form.

edit: errr xoink said the exact same thing lol..............

dont pound metal with a metal hammer... pound it with a rubber mallet to decrease the noise

They make rollers that you pass the sheet metal through to curve it. Do a google search for sheet metal slip rollers. There is no way you are going to pound it round and keep it smooth.

There's a tool you can buy called metal bender, I beleive? It can roll it into a cylinder for you.

AMV said:
ok, but I imagine wacking away at a sheet of steel will make a bit of noise right?
.... yeah ... and the point is? You are going to be pounding metal. Even hammering a nail makes noise. Working metal is even worse.

Oh - hearing protection to protect you, and speed metal cranked to 11 for the neighbours.

if you have an acedline torch u may be able to heat the metal enough allowing it to bend, but just adjust your flame so the flame is a light blue with a feather at the end, basicly just until the soot goes away so you dont oxadise your metal with the nasty film of slag, then try bending it by hand, obviously wearing gloves, it may do the job but for something that big im not sure

I would love to get some metal fab tools.... but I just got married.... so not a whole lot of cash... anyone know of a metal shop in Edmonton that might give me a (cheap) hand? (I doubt anyone does, just throwing it out there) and I think I'll go down to dad's place, he's got a welder and a 'cetline torch and such... not to mention in the country away from neighbours

Thanks for the help guys

Might be faster, cheaper, easier to go to a company that does heating and AC and get a foot or so of rigid ducting. If you are just after the cylinder shape, even pvc plumbing pipe might be large enough for your needs - and plastic is a easier to work than metal with most hand tools.

Yeah I second what Token User is saying, the local "tin bashers" probably have the tools and the know how...maybe they will help you out...I know a local tin basher, he's on my demo derby team, he makes pretty much everything out of sheet metal...including headers for our motors..

Later

MD

Back