• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shall I wait for Sandy Bridge?

if you already have a 1366 system, wait for 2011. If you're on a 775 system such as I am, going 1155 is a nice upgrade... but only with a chipset that supports pci express 2.0 x16 for both lanes preferably. 2011 is really where it's at, but that's a ways off. Hopefully intel releases some hex-cores for the 1155 platform and gives it a little love down the road, and doesn't go the greedy route of making 1155 users upgrade yet again if they want hex-cores.

Looks like the gigabyte p67a-ud7 will feature a robust setup allowing 2 cards to run at full x16 or 4 cards to run at x8 with no electrical limitations.. good to go there.
 
Last edited:
if you already have a 1366 system, wait for 2011. If you're on a 775 system such as I am, going 1155 is a nice upgrade... but only with a chipset that supports pci express 2.0 x16 for both lanes preferably.

Looks like the gigabyte p67a-ud7 will feature a robust setup allowing 2 cards to run at full x16 or 4 cards to run at x8 with no electrical limitations.. good to go there.

The only way P67 boards will support 2 x16 slots would be with a bridge chip. Looks like that is what the Gigabyte board is using.
 
if you wait you'll always be waiting for the new and better thing thats already in the works.
 
yep, I had no idea until a couple hours ago that bridge chips like the nForce 200 existed, being out of the loop since socket 775 or just not paying attention because I didn't need SLI. Looks like the problem of not enough lanes, is no problem at all. 2.0 specs should last long enough for me at full speeds, although running at x8 would have been good enough for now, not in a couple years, plus it leaves the door open for 3-way. Cheers. Bye bye socket 775, 1155 here I come.
 
Last edited:
if you can't afford an extreme esacore I will definitely wait the sandy bridge since it will be more powerfull also on the midlle range series for LGA1155.
 
Yeah you should wait. At the very least you know the socket will last you for a good 2 years. Socket 1156 is already 2 years old. It may still be good for a few upgrades but it won't be top of the line.
 
I think you should base your purchase on utility rather than technology. Technology will always change.

Are there things that you need to be doing that your current machine is significantly limiting? If not, wait.
Good advice. Think rationally, and kill that upgrade bug.

All my CPU's lasted around 3 years, so buying a motherboard because the socket allows upgrades is useless, because in three years time, there will be no worthwhile CPU's for that socket.

For example, my current situation: a 3 year old Core 2 Duo on LGA775. In my opinion, it would be a waste of money to buy one of those expensive, slightly faster Core 2 Quads, just to upgrade this 775-motherboard. You can buy the faster i5-760 for less money!
Instead, I will wait and see what Sandy Bridge / Bulldozer does. And if those are not at least two / three times as fast as my Core 2 Duo, I will not upgrade.....unless my rig explodes tomorrow or something...Can you tell I love my C2D? :D
 
Is this true 1156 CPU compatible with 1155 ? according with this video you can put 1156 cpu in 1155 socket video
Not a chance in hell.
The orientation cutouts are positioned differently, at the very least.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top