Shady BFG 6800GT...what to do?

Poosnarf

Limp Gawd
So I finally loaded up Coolbits and told it to detect the optimum settings for my BFG 6800GT OC on a P4P800-E Deluxe mobo. 383/1.02. Very disappointing. It's powered by a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W on its own Molex line, so I don't think it's a power issue. I bought it at Best Buy...so I'm not sure if I should return it and try my luck again, or what. I currently have it at 400/1.10, but that's about as high as Coolbits will let me take it.

What can I do to get a little more room out of my investment?

most people here, including me are against returning it and "trying your luck again" as the card is perfectly good and does more than when its supposted to. Id say your pretty lucky to get it that high with stock cooling anyway, grab a better cooler and see what happens then

try using rivatuner. coolbits just doesn't work very well for some people.

NIGHTMARE2 said:
Exchange it if you like being a lieing, cheating, fuck.

Well, that depends on his course of action. He could be perfectly honest by returning it and saying he wasn't satisfied with the product and pay the 15% restocking fee.

people who complain about components not being able to overclock are indeed LAME. sure, its a letdown that you can't get the speed you want, or OC for that matter, but did the box say "can oc to ###" or "is overclockable!"? no, it did not. returning it to bestbuy would onloy cause u a hassle, having to physically do it, not to mention pay a restocking fee. plus your screwing bestbuy unjustly; they sold you a perfectly fine working product.

SFI said:
people who complain about components not being able to overclock are indeed LAME. sure, its a letdown that you can't get the speed you want, or OC for that matter, but did the box say "can oc to ###" or "is overclockable!"? no, it did not. returning it to bestbuy would onloy cause u a hassle, having to physically do it, not to mention pay a restocking fee. plus your screwing bestbuy unjustly; they sold you a perfectly fine working product.

I agree, because I am in same situation. Coolbits only detects it at 391 core 1.04 memory. But I am not satisfied with overclock. It crossed my mind about returning it to fry's, but I don't want to do that. It works fine. I am going to run it at stock speeds, so overclocking is not an issue. I only tried overclocking because I was curious. I don't think I will return 6800GT for another one.

If you want ultra speeds, maybe you could um, buy an ultra? :rolleyes:

Returning it with lying, cheating or whatever is just wrong.

If I were you, I would ebay the card and grab me another one. Simple as that!

whats so bad about returning a card? You know the company ships it back to the manufacturer. It gets tested and repackaged to be sold again. Whats wrong with that?

Because it raises prices, which always sucks. And it's never the person who returns the card for some stupid reason like not overclocking enough who has to pay the price, it's everybody else.

trinketsummoner said:
:eek: Blasphemy. Any GT that won't run above ultra speeds flawlessly is obviously a bad card and should be returned immediately. The vendor should also compensate you for mental anguish, pain and suffering. :mad:

:p

my auto detect on my gt w/ stock cooling was 393/1050, but by manually oc'ing it i was able to go farther than my xfx that auto'ed at 428/1150 (and the xfx could not run set to this with stock cooling).

w/ the nv silencer it auto's at 400/1100, but i can oc it stabily to 440/1100. all i can say is don't trust the auto detect and test yourself.

btw i agree with the others that you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch since the card performed as advertised.

I just love all the people who say that returning something for all the bad reasons is a sin but yet you damn sure know that if they were in that guy's same shoes that they'd be thinking about doing the same thing.

ozziegn said:
I just love all the people who say that returning something for all the bad reasons is a sin but yet you damn sure know that if they were in that guy's same shoes that they'd be thinking about doing the same thing.

Dont judge us that do the right thing by your own moral standards :rolleyes:

whatever....

I'm just saying that you'd be surprised at how many people who say that this is wrong and how that is wrong but yet put them in that situation and see what they'd do.

Actually return policy is part of their marketing and budgeted into the cost. I only buy LCD monitors as Costco because of their no questions asked return policy. Dead pixel - off you go. You go and get that super deal online and you're staring at that white dot next to your crosshair for the next year.
And Best Buy and their "we do not support you in issues with the coupons we give you, that's between you and the manufacturer" is so low on my respect list, no problem with returning something to them for whatever reason.

whitewale said:
And Best Buy and their "we do not support you in issues with the coupons we give you, that's between you and the manufacturer" is so low on my respect list, no problem with returning something to them for whatever reason.

hahahahaha......

amen to that! :p

Best Buy has screwed God only knows how many people so they deserve to get screwed every once in a while by the little man cuz he's not too happy for whatever reason(s).

The question is if you return the one that only overclocks to 380/1.05 and get one that overclocks to say 400/1.1 or a little more, will you really see that much of a difference in games? Your FPS in Doom 3 and the upcomfing HL2 may go up a couple frames a second, but does that make it worth it to exchange a non-defective product for one that overclocks better?

IMHO it's not really worth it for a couple FPS, but that's just me. :)

ozziegn said:

This coming from the guy who has returned atleast two current generation graphics cards (PNY & BFG 6800 GT) to date? I bet ozzie generates more graphics card returns alone than everyone in this thread combined. :rolleyes:

BattleMaster said:
The question is if you return the one that only overclocks to 380/1.05 and get one that overclocks to say 400/1.1 or a little more, will you really see that much of a difference in games? Your FPS in Doom 3 and the upcomfing HL2 may go up a couple frames a second, but does that make it worth it to exchange a non-defective product for one that overclocks better?

IMHO it's not really worth it for a couple FPS, but that's just me. :)

Exactly. Return an item because its faulty at stock speeds, sure. Return something because it doesnt meet your OC expectations = lame.

trinketsummoner said:
Exactly. Return an item because its faulty at stock speeds, sure. Return something because it doesnt meet your OC expectations = lame.

I don't disagree that it's wrong just to return a product because it doesn't work beyond specification like you'd prefer it to. However, few people will actually be swayed by the ethical arguement and will try to make counter-arguements to justify unethical behavior. So I prefer to make arguements that look more into what you will really gain if you do something. :)

BattleMaster said:
This coming from the guy who has returned atleast two current generation graphics cards (PNY & BFG 6800 GT) to date? :rolleyes:

oh really?

find me an ounce of evidence (thread wise) that entertains your notion about the two mention cards above.

the next time you wanna talk some trash about someone, you should know what you're talking about before you open that pie-hole that you call a mouth.

Why worry about Bestbuy? They screwed me back with the Ti4600 ordeal. But then you must ask your self do you feel lucky punk? Do ya? I say try a better cooling solution because there is always a chance you will return it and end up with a product that doesn’t OC as high or worse yet needs rmad, be happy you have working hardware and buy a better cooling solution. That is the true OC way...

ozziegn said:
oh really?

find me an ounce of evidence (thread wise) that entertains your notion about the two mention cards above.

the next time you wanna talk some trash about someone, you should know what you're talking about before you open that pie-hole that you call a mouth.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026550253#post1026550253
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026545963#post1026545963

So you didn't return your poorly overclocking BFG 6800 GT and buy a PNY 6800 GT instead? And then exchange your PNY 6800 GT for a sealed one that was sold on the forums?

I drew the conclusion based on your previous posts and could be wrong of course. If I'm way off base, sorry. It's also not really trash talking, it's more like deduction sharing and quip making.

BattleMaster said:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026550253#post1026550253
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026545963#post1026545963

So you didn't return your poorly overclocking BFG 6800 GT and buy a PNY 6800 GT instead? And then exchange your PNY 6800 GT for a sealed one that was sold on the forums?

I drew the conclusion based on your previous posts and could be wrong of course. If I'm way off base, sorry. It's also not really trash talking, it's more like deduction sharing and quip making.

see, again you dont have any idea of what you're talking about.

the first link you posted was in fact an issue that I had my PNY card BEFORE I bought and tried and the BFG card of which I ended up selling locally.

second link was from a customer's PNY card that was defective from day one and I exchanged it for a new one. and seeing since I didnt need my PNY card anymore (because I just got an XT PE card), I gave my customer my PNY card that I knew O/Ced well and I just took his in exchange thus the reason why I'm selling it because I have no need for it now that I have an XT PE card.

so there. let me remind you again that you should think before you evenly remotely attempt to start sh*t with someone like myself...

Then why don't you support selling poorly overclocking cards locally or by using the forums instead of supporting returning/exchange poorly overclocking cards for new ones? :confused:

BattleMaster said:
Then why don't you support selling poorly overclocking cards locally or by using the forums instead of supporting returning/exchange poorly overclocking cards for new ones? :confused:

what I do with what I sell is my business and it certainly isnt none of yours.

now I'm asking you nicely, please slither away and leave me the hell alone until you have some hard facts concerning the trash that you speak of.

trinketsummoner said:

The price is ABSURDLY high, I would feel like I was being robbed and raped at the same time if I paid that much for one card that's A) not upgradable B) replaced with something faster and cheaper in less than a year and C) well the price is just INSANE ~ it would be immoral to spend that much on it, there are so many better things we should do with our money.

It's sad we just sit here playing games like some kinds of drug addicts while crazy right wing nuts take away our freedoms and constitutional rights.

ozzie do you think that bestbuy really intentionally ment to screw you on your purchase? please :rolleyes: as far as i'm concerned bestbuy is a really reat store, there was a time when they offered free shippong on EVERYTHING on their websites, plus they had some great prices on many accessories. don't blame reputable companies for shit you know they didn't mean to do. hell, even enwegg has "scrwed me " before, i jsut got a faulty vantec spectrum fan from them, but do i hold a grudge against them? no because i know they are still a great company (tho they NJ tax and new shipping charges piss me off a bit :( )

SFI said:
ozzie do you think that bestbuy really intentionally ment to screw you on your purchase? please :rolleyes: as far as i'm concerned bestbuy is a really reat store

neah, they didnt intend to screw me just like they didnt intend to
screw lots of other people.

Critofur said:
The price is ABSURDLY high, I would feel like I was being robbed and raped at the same time if I paid that much for one card that's A) not upgradable B) replaced with something faster and cheaper in less than a year and C) well the price is just INSANE ~ it would be immoral to spend that much on it, there are so many better things we should do with our money.
it sure would be nice if one day we can just pop in a new vpu like we do cpu's and upgrade the memory as we please. kinda like the pci cards that allowed the macs to run a 386 processor and memory :D

i'd love to see a barebones vid card!

yea, resellerrating people give it a low score, but it does the same with amazon, and when i was ordering for them i never got screwed once. many people will give shitty ratings because they did not bother to deal with customer service, were impatient, or being little bitches. this holds true on many websites that encompass user ratings, one prime example being ebay, where seller business is affected by these morons. look at my sig, i bought so much cooling equpiment, expecting to be able to hit at least 3.6 ghz, but did that happen? no. one fsb over my rams rating (which is to run at 233) and my system becomes unstable. maybe i should go to newegg and say "give me a refund, this product isn't running better then its supposed to." shit please :rolleyes: my gear runs stable at the ram's rated speed, and i can't complain because i have no basis to do so. now if your system ran slower then it is rated for (granted you did not fuck up with buying poorly matched equpiment) thats totally understandable. but i guess you saw most people ocing the hell out of their processors on this forum, and thought you'd have the same sucess. i'll repeat this again, and i am sure i am speaking for many other people here: do not bitch about not being able to voerclock as well as you thought you could, or not be able to do so at all. if you disagree with my philosophy, please take out the retail box/manual of whatever your unhappy with and scan the part that says "overclockable to XXXXX" i'll keep my mouth shut if you can do that

ozziegn said:
neah, they didnt intend to screw me just like they didnt intend to
screw lots of other people.

PLEASE. SPARE US. How many people do you think run off and write great reviews for places after experiencing good service? Less than .01%, I'd bet. Now, how many people dwell on hate so much that they run off and try to exact revenge on some business for something that was most likely their fault in the first place.

If Best Buy screws people on return policies, it's because they are tired of getting screwed. If Best Buy has incompetent workers, it's because first off, consumers should know what they are buying instead of asking the person selling it to them, and Best Buy won't make money by hiring trained professionals. Best Buy is out for money, not to be your best friend. Once people realize that, maybe they'll stop bitching about how they get the shaft everytime they walk in the doors.

But I'm way OT here...
bottom line is that you get what you pay for. You'll probably have a new card within a year anyhow, so why bother being an ass about it?

Is it just me, or has no one asked WHY should the Coolbits reading be followed as gospel truth in the first place?

As far as cooling, I got one of those bracket with two 80 mm blowing perpendicular across the card- works great, would highly reccommend it as a "less-technical" cooling solution.

Coolbits on my XFX 6800GT kept going and going and going and just crashed the system without giving a result. It does 400/1100 at 76c load flawlessly. I wonder where Coolbits took it to?... Over Ultra Extreme speeds?

Back