SGO5 LITE

Huh... interesting. Unloading case stock that exceeded their PSU stock? If not, it seems interesting that they would sell a case that uses an SFX, a PSU form factor which silverstone pretty dominates, without the PSU when you're more than likely going to buy a silverstone SFX PSU for it anyways. Oh well. More options for buyers!

Huh... interesting. Unloading case stock that exceeded their PSU stock? If not, it seems interesting that they would sell a case that uses an SFX, a PSU form factor which silverstone pretty dominates, without the PSU when you're more than likely going to buy a silverstone SFX PSU for it anyways. Oh well. More options for buyers!

For the last eight months, if a new buyer wanted the SG05 with the gold modular ST45SF-G, s/he effectively was paying for two PSUs.

For the last eight months, if a new buyer wanted the SG05 with the gold modular ST45SF-G, s/he effectively was paying for two PSUs.
True, it does open up that opportunity. But then again, I would have figured they'd offer it with that modular PSU. So a modular or non-modular version, rather than a non-modular and no power supply version. For us its great, but for them I'd think they'd want to put their PSUs in all their cases rather than leave it open to the buyer to use someone elses (though not many other options). They would know better than I.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that the ST45SF-G doesn't actually work very well in the SG05. Issue with 3.5" drive bay and the optical bay presses against the ATX24 clip if the fan is pointing down. Since the SG05 comes with both PSU and 3.5" cage mounted, I think they would have some trouble with packaging :eek: :)

I'm surprised it took them that long to release the case without the PSU.

it seems interesting that they would sell a case that uses an SFX

What, you guys don't all already have several spare SFX PSUs that aren't being used? :D I do. I have:
FSP 450W (same as Silverstone 450W)
Seasonic 350W (with 60mm fan)
Seasonic 300W (with protruding fan)
Also have a few low wattage units (200W or less?) from TTGI (AKA Super Flower?) and HEC. And, ahem, several "crappy" ones.

What, you guys don't all already have several spare SFX PSUs that aren't being used? :D I do. I have:
FSP 450W (same as Silverstone 450W)
Seasonic 350W (with 60mm fan)
Seasonic 300W (with protruding fan)
Also have a few low wattage units (200W or less?) from TTGI (AKA Super Flower?) and HEC. And, ahem, several "crappy" ones.
Quoting me, you took it way out of context. :) I don't find it interesting that they'd sell a case that uses SFX. I do however find it interesting that a leader in SFX chooses to offer their own case without one of their power supplies. Not surprising for ATX PSUs and cases, which is a much broader market, but for something that is still sort of niche, providing one of your own SFX with your own cases seems like a more solid sales tactic. Of course, now people will likely pay full retail for the case and full retail for the power supply.

Last edited:
Of course, now people will likely pay full retail for the case and full retail for the power supply.

That's a possibility. But I still think it's much more likely that they just couldn't fit the PSU and the 3.5" drive cage in the case together without risking things bending and breaking. (Check Linus' video review of the FT03-mini for a good example of why.)

Since I posted this I have been thinking why did they do this?

My guess is they were losing out or lost market share to the Cooler Master Elite 120. Since it is similarly shaped and sells for $40.00 they figured they would take out there psu and sell it for the same price.

Damn such a cheap price so such an amazing case...think I'll get a few just because :)

Fair enough! I guess I didn't consider the actual construction... I was just thinking it was an SG05 with some flair.

Oh it's really beautiful and worth the extra cost. Pity the top grill is plastic though. I'm thinking of how to paint it to give it a similar texture as the panels.

I had my eye on it when it was first previewed/released, it looks like a nice case and all... The SG05 has the same kind of internal dimensions for graphics card, psu, stuff, and I couldn't really justify it.

Sweet price on this case. Plus it has the black interior and USB 3.0. You can mod it without as much worry with spare parts at $40. :)

Just saw this on newegg. It's the SG05 without the power supply, not sure what prompted the release of this, maybe they are releasing a new PSU soon.

That's a quite good speculation...

Besides SG05-Lite, there will also be SG06-Lite in black and silver color for about $50 coming soon.

We are making these models available to also encourage other PSU brands to sell their versions of SFX power supplies.

We are making these models available to also encourage other PSU brands to sell their versions of SFX power supplies.

That's an interesting business strategy. It was nice for Silverstone to have the SFX monopoly for a while, but now the market needs to grow, so competition is needed again.

From looking at the product shots on Newegg, it appears that the LITE is shipped without the PSU brace. Can anyone confirm?

I'm guessing the brace isn't really needed unless you're subjecting your build through the UPS/Fedex torture.

Also, it's interesting that buying the LITE and the ST45SF separately is cheaper (at $104) than buying the combo ($125). Opting for the gold PSU with the LITE comes out to be $134. Prices are from Amazon. Too bad neither the Egg or Amazon has the LITE in stock right now.

Last edited:
^
My thoughts too. Would have been nice to have an all white interior as well or maybe even a black interior on the white version.

From looking at the product shots on Newegg, it appears that the LITE is shipped without the PSU brace. Can anyone confirm?

Huh, sharp eyes ya got.

Come to think of it, the brace gets in the way of the Seasonic 300W SFX PSU fan due to the way it hooks underneath the PSU.

I'm kind of okay with the brace not being there, but it would be nice if it was so that we have the option of using, or not. And yes, shipping would be more secure with it (even if security is in our heads).

Tony? Got answers for us?

The brace was removed for Lite versions because we expect these to go to end-users. For system integrators that need to ship systems across the country and require extra security, they can continue to buy regular versions of SG05/SG06 with PSU and the brace included.

never used that brace, never understood why was it there in the first place, the case is sturdy enough without it. the good thing about it is that is removable :p

Thanks for the reply Tony. Your presence on the [H] is yet another reason I buy Silverstone whenever possible.

The LITE case is missing the extra front bezel plastic piece. The one without the Silverstone logo.

Just thought I'd point it out for those who dislike marketing on products they already bought. Like me - I remove the chrome logos and trim level bragging letters from any car I buy. I already know it is a Ferrari. Or not.

The LITE case is missing the extra front bezel plastic piece. The one without the Silverstone logo.

Just thought I'd point it out for those who dislike marketing on products they already bought. Like me - I remove the chrome logos and trim level bragging letters from any car I buy. I already know it is a Ferrari. Or not.

Good to know, I much prefer the cleaner no-logo look.

I do that too. On cars it's a kind of sign to others that it's not stock under the hood :)

Back