SGI Octane 3?

Dude, they're still in business? I kid, though how many bankruptcies are they at now...? Aren't those reboxed BT's?

Nothing new really. I would just rather get a Supermicro blade server instead.

fully decked out will cost about $200,000 probably.

I too thought that they were out of business. I still have a Personal Iris and an Iris Indigo sitting here.

Actually, according to another thread on the [H], fully decked out costs only $53K.

A blade server wouldn't be, according to SGI, "whisper quiet".

Oh, that is a bargain then since a Mac Pro's 32GB memory option is $16K.
1TB of ram and 20, 40, or 80 processors(not sure if they are singles, duals, or quads) for $53K is a steal.

EDIT: that is not fully decked out in the other thread.

Just got off the phone with Jess at SGI and he didn't have specific prices but said fully configured would be well over $100K. I should get a price as soon as he gets one.

Last edited:
I think this is the third bankruptcy recovery in the last decade, for those wondering

and this is at least the fifth time in that same period wherein they've attempted to re-enter the viz/sim market, I doubt this thing stays up on the 'net >8 months (the last system touted 64 GPUs and some other insane shit, never seen one physical, and the page was gone within a year)

as far as deskside supercomputers, personally I'd go with the Cray, because I've actually seen the damn thing exist beyond a few pictures, know that the thing has good power behind it, and so on

smokingman:
at what point in the bankruptcy did SGI relable Boxx setups?
from what I recall of SGI, they went sorta like this:

MIPS/IRIX 1990's era -> MIPS/IRIX early 2000's era -> bankruptcy #1 -> Itanium/Linux/NASA era -> bankruptcy #2 -> Itanium/Xeon/Windows HPC/SAN era -> bankruptcy #3 -> 2008

I don't doubt they rebadged some hardware (or used the same OEM as Boxx), but I'm just curious where it fits into that scheme, somewhere after the NASA era I'm guessing?

I think around 2006, so bk1. I remember an inquirer blurb about it, and was like, lol. However, the reference was more a jab than anything. :D

I think around 2006, so bk1. I remember an inquirer blurb about it, and was like, lol. However, the reference was more a jab than anything. :D

oh I know it was a jab ;) was just curious on the date range there heh

c'mon man....its SGI, they were cool in the 90's, but anymore is just a lot of drama and inconsistency, and their primary selling points (IRIX and having more power than anyone else on the block) aren't even options anymore, so they're just offering their name as justification to jack the price way way up on (essentially) COTS hardware (in other words, theres nothing in that system I cannot buy from another vendor, such as Dell, likely for less money, or even build myself)

I just "stumbled" upon that a second ago. It looks like a blade style system with a *nix based system running cluster software.

Which brings me to my next question: couldn't one just make a rack or two of some high end i7 systems with 12 GB of RAM each (8 core, 16 threads each CPU) for a similar result? Depending on what you're doing, though. I'd throw in a few 295's in each and fold like a motherfucker on it all!

It starts at $8K. That's less than some Voodoo or other high end gaming machines.

I wonder how that Octane 3's do on Folding... They should test it out. For team 33, of course. For scientific benchmarking, of course! :)

I'd still take and SGI O3 for all of the slot if I could. As long as I could mod the case for water cooled 295's without voiding the warranty that is. :)

fully decked out will cost about $200,000 probably.

I too thought that they were out of business. I still have a Personal Iris and an Iris Indigo sitting here.

Doubt that. We just got a new Dell Blade center all decked out at my office. That ran about 60K or so. So I don't think that will be $200,000.00.

when SGI first started selling itanium machines they were re branding Intel OEM boxs too... in all fairness so was HP :)

Doubt that. We just got a new Dell Blade center all decked out at my office. That ran about 60K or so. So I don't think that will be $200,000.00.

Just got a call from SGI a few minutes ago and a fully decked out machine is well over $200K. The ram alone for the machine is $110K, 120 8GB ECC Sticks of ram.

I wonder how much of a hack it would be to get this thing to fold, and how much PPD it would crunch out... :-P

Back