SG07 PSU whine

Kelv

Limp Gawd
I got my SG07 in mid July and was using a 4850 until my GTX 470 SOC got back from an RMA. Just this past week I noticed the system was making more noise while I was playing games. I use a headset almost all of the time so it was only noticable when I took them off. I opened it up today and tried to find where the sound was coming from. I thought it was the GPU even though its supposed to be quite so I ramped up the fan with Afterburner and those fans were a much different and more pleasant sound. It's hard to pinpoint the source the nose but it seems to be most likely the power supply.

The last thing I want to do is be without the computer. I already had to wait 3 weeks for the 470. It seems this whine may be a common problem with power supplies but most people don't recommend opening it up and fixing it.

What can I do?

It's not unheard of for the SG cases to have noisy PSU's, which I always found odd. They usually build solid products. But if you don't want to RMA the case, you'll have to swap out the PSU. I don't recommend taking it apart and trying to fix it.

Back