SG05: AXP-140 w/120mm slim fan or Samuel 17 w/regular fan?

sbao26975

n00b
So I did some research and found that the AXP-140 only fits in the SG05 with a 120x20mm fan. Would it be better to use the AXP-140 with the slim fan, or would a Samuel 17 with regular fan cool better?

Thanks!

would also help to know what cpu your trying to cool

Jen

If I'm not mistaken the general thought is that the APX-140 is the better hsf and the Samuel 17 is second best. Both are good choices however. Also the mobo in question will dictate which you can use since the APX-140 does not fit on all mobos. Assuming I remember all the info I been reading about the SG05 and HSF. This is of course not counting the hydro coolers like the H50/60 and the Antec Kuhler 620.

Sorry, i5-2500k, probably overclocked to 4.5Ghz at around 1.33V.

The AXP-140 RT I already bought for around $60+slim fan...but can still cancel. I think the samuel 17 would be around $50 and I already have a fan.

I'd just stick with the order that you have placed. Both are fine coolers. Your question ultimately comes down to a question of surface area (the AXP-140 RT has more) and the static pressure (depends on the fan) that can be delivered by the fan. We could probably come up with about 50 different permutations, including some where a higher pressure fan on a Samuel 17 could beat a lower pressure fan on an AXP-140 RT. On balance, though, I would suspect that the cooler with the most surface area would win the battle more often than not.

Alright, great thanks! Also, the AXP-140 is $61 bucks with free shipping at ncix if anyone else is interested!

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken the general thought is that the APX-140 is the better hsf and the Samuel 17 is second best. Both are good choices however. Also the mobo in question will dictate which you can use since the APX-140 does not fit on all mobos. Assuming I remember all the info I been reading about the SG05 and HSF. This is of course not counting the hydro coolers like the H50/60 and the Antec Kuhler 620.

do you happen to know how the nexus low-7000 compares to these two? sorry for the thread hijack :p

I wonder why no one mentioned this cooler before when I was searching for my GD04?
Does anyone know if it'll fit in my case?

do you happen to know how the nexus low-7000 compares to these two? sorry for the thread hijack :p

i have that nexus cooling a celeron g530 and a samuel17 cooling a i5-2400

the nexus doesnt compare at all. it has less heat pipes and is lighter. it works ok for my dual core but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. also the heatpipes are just a few mm too wide and will block the PCI slot if you need it. (I'm using it in a foxconn board that has better cpu placement).

Back