SG03 questions...

A little messy on the cords there bungwu :p

Ill probably re-organize them at some point, my main goal was to clear a path for the Air Flow to the CPU which was kind of a pain with the bracket that holds the extra 3.5 bay and supports the PSU.

-BW

Ya, well i hope i can find a home for those wires. Good thing i picked up a couple cable organization things.

A little messy on the cords there bungwu :p . So i just ordered a few parts and have a few more parts to go. was looking on building a rig based on these parts

SG-03
GA-G33M-DS2R
E6750
Evga 8800GTX
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Vista Ultimate 64bit
NT06 Lite (can and will change if necessary)
Corsair 620HX Power Supply
2x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm

Is there going to be not enough heat dissipation to overclock the E6750? I've been hoping to aim for a reasonable 3.4GHz maybe less, if it takes to much vCore. Is that going to be way to much heat to have a reliable 24/7 system?

I think you'll be okay but you'll be one of the first to try this particular setup so you get to be a tester for others basically. Obviously you wont be able to attain what the ATX case users are getting with a E6750 since you are limited by the NT06 and the SG03 but you probably already know that. You might want to consider applying some AS5 to that NB (will void warranty) to help keep temps down for improved OCing.

Woot for testing :p . Well i got my power supply and keyboard in today, GTX coming in tomorrow. The rest of the parts are not ordered yet though, gotta save up a little more :D . Ya i prob should give the NB some AS5, I'll try it out first and if needed to get 3.4 or somewhat close i'll end up doing it. I'll keep you guys posted and some pics when its all in.

Ill probably re-organize them at some point, my main goal was to clear a path for the Air Flow to the CPU which was kind of a pain with the bracket that holds the extra 3.5 bay and supports the PSU.

-BW

Looks like you were probably struggling with the hdd cables in the front. I found that the best way is to kind of tuck those cables underneath the aft plastic hdd clip so that it runs along the bottom of the case. Try it out, you'll find the PSU support brackets goes in much easier that way!

Frankenthread, back from the dead!

Earlier in this thread I posted about a hard-drive thermal pad... I just re-found it at Jab-Tech. I expect it would help a lot on hard-drive temperatures to put one of these pads under the drive when mounting it circuits-down in the SG03's bottom bays.

An undead horse goes- ..ah, but this is no horse, this is a good thread :)

I thought I'd use it to ask a few questions regarding my planned Sg03 build.

Firstly, I have an X1950pro with the worst stock cooling ever, so I'm wondering what kind of clearance is available for VGA cooling (with no other PCI cards being used, in case that matters), and if anyone has any suggestions on an alright aftermarket VGA cooler?

Second, the ATX PSU I have is a NorthQ 4775- (w* d* h) ( 15cm* 14 cm* 8.6 cm) (non-modular) - is there any way of telling beforehand whether it will actually fit?

Three, the NT06 is not available in AM2-friendly shape from herearound (Europe) which means I will need to find some alternative. I do intend to do some OCing.
If CPU is boxed I'll try stock for a while, but elsewise, would the Schythe mini ninja generally work? I'd think that it's too high, hmm, but then what alternatives would there be?

Thanks alot for any reply.

Looking at Bungwu's pics, it looks like a Thermalright Extreme 120 with the scythe fan is not possible. I was planning on using that instead of going with an NT06 LITE and ST50EF-PLUS Short Cable Edition combo.

Future build:
Asus P5K-VM
Intel Q6600 or a X3210
SilverStone NT06 Lite
ST50EF-PLUS Short Cable Edition
SilverStone SG03

and maybe a 2600XT or 8600GT. I don't game as much anymore and mainly use the Xbox360 but I need to have x264, or WVC1 to be decoded by the GPU.

Anyone compared Silverstone ST50EF-PLUS and the Corsair HX520 in terms of noise and cooling? Planning in getting the HX520 since it's modular which I haven't had before.

my first sg03 build:
E6320 @ 3.0GHz
Cooler Master Gemin II
Gigabyte G33M-DS2R
2gb Ballistix DDR2-800 @ 850 4-4-4-9
2x Yate Loon 120mmx120mmx20mm
250gb 7200.10
NEC DVDRW
aBit Airpace
7900gs
Seasonic M12 700

idling at 31C
load... 51C
too bad it's a black sg03. i really really really wanted a silver one, but i couldn't bear to throw down $20 more for it from an online place. so i bought one from frys. i was really impatient too. ;p

Three, the NT06 is not available in AM2-friendly shape from herearound (Europe) which means I will need to find some alternative. I do intend to do some OCing.
That's not correct. You can get the NT06 with AM2 retention brackets in Europe! But you have to pay attention because when the NT06 was introduced, it was not AM2-compatible. And its possible some shops still have a NT06 without the AM2 retention brackets included. But normally, all new NT06 coolers shipped by Silverstone have the brackets included so it shouldn't be a problem. If you really want to be sure, just send a mail to the shop and ask them if the NT06 they sell is AM2 compatible.

D-Three: Should perhaps have said 'Ireland', land of 2.5 computer webshops.
Thanks for the advice however.

Has anyone attempted any GPU coolers of average to ..(long? High?) height in the SG03?

Well, I've emailed all possible resellers of the NT06 (none in Ireland,a few in Sweden) - none of them had the AM2 compatible version. One of them had the NT05 - but again, not the AM2-version.

The potential alternatives I've been able to scrounge up so far are two Zalmans:
Zalman CNPS7500
and CNPS8000.
They are both short enough, but the issue is that their 'girth' or whatever it's called begins almost at the base, (almost at 0 height, so to speak), unlike with the NT06, so I don't know how well they'd fit on your average mATX-board.. (in my case the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H). Anyone know?

I apologize if this doesn't seem like the appropriate thread; I just thought I'd follow my previous comments and responses.

I seem to recall somebody mentioning having a zalman 8700 led in there with either the asus or the gigabyte.

Well, I've emailed all possible resellers of the NT06 (none in Ireland,a few in Sweden) - none of them had the AM2 compatible version. One of them had the NT05 - but again, not the AM2-version.
Send a mail to Silverstone Europe (Germany) and explain the problem. I'm sure they will help you.

Send a mail to Silverstone Europe (Germany) and explain the problem. I'm sure they will help you.

I'm not, especially after having waited for an answer for three working days :p

I'll just measure the clearance length in the four directions of the motherboard when I get it; check specs of different <78mm high coolers, then punch the wet newspaper.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the mesh on the side panel? I want to put white cathodes vertically along each side of the mesh.

Its not a square shape. Outter dimensions are 5.25" for top and bottom, right side is 8.5" and the left side is 7 3/8". I hope that helps.

Thanks Skott. Do you think a 12" cathode would fit on either side of the mesh side panel? I can't find any white 8" cathodes.

I dont use cathodes and never have so to be honest I couldnt begin to answer your question. Sorry. Bound to be other SG03 users around here that knows about them though. Steeeve over at SFFClub might be able to give you the info you need. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful in this regard. :(

-BW

Hey Bung, so that fan controller fits perfectly into the floppy drive space, eh? Doesn't interfere with the door at all? If so, i'm gonna get me one of those! How well has it been working?

Also, I see that you have your powersupply sucking air from the side vent, and not being used to suck air from inside the case out. Does this seem to have a positive or a negative feedback with your CPU core temps?

I personally have mine facing the CPU so it sucks air from the heatsink (Zalman CNPS8700). However, I put a small pci-slot blower style fan on the very far back / top slot and was wondering if I had my PSU set up the same as you, the airflow would actually be better and would get sucked from the front 120mm's THROUGH the heatsink and OUT the top/rear through the blower. make any sense?

Do you guys think this would cool it down more, or less?

It'll fit. That's simply an 8800GT w/ an Accelero S1 pre-installed on it. I just installed an Accelero S1 on my 8800GT and it fits just fine in my SG03.

I know we can't use both the NT06 and FX121 crossflow fan at the same time inside the case, but can the FX121 be mounted outside instead using the same mounting holes it would use if it were inside the case?

If it's mounted outside, would it be pulling air into the case or sucking air out of it?

Also, does the new NT06E fit in the SG03 if I'm using a SilverStone ST85F PSU? It's a tight fit now with the NT06 Lite which is 78mm high I think. The NT06E is 82mm high.

The FX121 would pull air into the case, as the mounting holes are only on one side. I have one before I got my NT06

Can the FX121 be mounted on the outside using the same mounting holes?

Yes, just put the screws on the inside and mount it reverse. It probably wouldn't do a whole lot of good, however, as it would be pointing pretty much at the NT06 and the air would be blocked.

Probably be pretty loud as well. But I am not sure.

I have a question about SATA cables, I have some pretty long 36" cables in there now and I want to get some significantly shorter cables. I am thinking 12" should be fine, but I am looking for some left-angle cables and it appears no one makes those in that length... Anyone have a clue? I am making them connect into a PCI-e RAID controller.

Yeah I may go with those. The 8" seems too short but 20" is longer than I would like. But who knows. I may buy 3 of each for my hard drives and let the pieces fall where they may, they are pretty cheap.

Performance-PCs has a number of different left-angle to x-angle cables in different lengths.

Wow thank you much I completely forgot about those guys. I remember seeing them on here a while ago and forgot about it promptly. They really do have all kinds of SATA cables it's awesome. I just put in an order for all the SATA cables I need!

Yup. They have all of the cables in the world except for the ones I really need. I've been looking for black 18" left-angle to left-angle SATA cables and they don't carry those. OKGear (the company that makes the left-angle to x-angle cables that Performance-PCs carries) does make what I'm looking for, but I have not seen anyone that carries them. I asked Performance-PCs if they would get them, but they said that the minimum amount they need to order from OKGear is more than what they'd probably be able to sell.

That sucks. Left angle connectors seem to be very rare to find, I'm glad I was able to find that place as the closest thing I found was 8" and was not locking.

I'm glad I was able to find those in black too, red cables sorta bug me. I'm looking for about as much black as possible.. lol.

Wow thank you much I completely forgot about those guys. I remember seeing them on here a while ago and forgot about it promptly. They really do have all kinds of SATA cables it's awesome. I just put in an order for all the SATA cables I need!

So did you recieve your order from satacables.com? Any problem?

I was thinking of ordering from them but this doesn't look encouraging: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SataCables

Sorry for no update, I got my cables from performance-pcs.com. They have a huge selection of SATA cables and they were all shipped very quickly. I have ordered a few things since, and the service has been equally good.

I'd suggest getting them there.

Well I went ahead and placed an order with satacables.com since nobody else has what I need (short low profile left angle cables).

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back