SG01-E w/ Intel DG965OT and E6400 C2D

ilumo

Weaksauce
Ok guys... Like the thread title says, I'm ordered this combo, and am expecting a "quiet" setup that can maybe Overclock a LITTLE bit. Not too much needed. My full system specs are going to be:

Silverstone SG01-E
Intel DG645OT
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Silverstone NT06 cooler
Corsair XMS2 5400 ram (667 mhz)
OCZ Modstream 450 watt PSU
7900GT Videocard (maybe use onboard for a few weeks first)
Seagate 7200.10 250 GB HDD

I am hoping that the intel mobo can do a LITTLE OCing. I've heard it has a "burn" in option that allows for a 5%,15% and 30% Overclock.. I'm assuming it just bumps up the FSB. Does anyone know if that will work, with this memory? If it really cant do any kind of overclocking, or if it can't adjust the memory speeds at all, thats going to suck.
I should have this setup in by next weds. I haven't seen any reviews on this setup, so I'm kinda venturing into uncharted territories. My ideal situation would be for a 30% OC on stock voltage, and at 4-4-4-12 ram timings (1.8v), super quiet, very cool temps, and rock stable... Think this can happen with the above setup?

eeek. :eek:

Thanks guys!

If you can't adjust the memory timings, it's probably not happening. It may autoadjust for you though.

darn... that kinda sucks then. but if I can adjust the timing to 5-5-5-14, think it can do the 30% OC? and do you think that would significantly improve performance?

It certainly wont be quiet with a 7900GT, they are loud.

really? I didnt think they were that loud.. hmmm... thankfully I havent bought a vidcard yet... maybe I'll wait till the DX10 cards come out? or is there a better option for... < 250$?
HMM..

ilumo said:
darn... that kinda sucks then. but if I can adjust the timing to 5-5-5-14, think it can do the 30% OC? and do you think that would significantly improve performance?
You can always do it in windows for memory timmings. As far as the burn in method, it may be there or it may not. That 6400 should be good for that 30% burn in at stock vcore. Get a good heatsink as these things run hot as hell.

ilumo said:
really? I didnt think they were that loud.. hmmm... thankfully I havent bought a vidcard yet... maybe I'll wait till the DX10 cards come out? or is there a better option for... < 250$?
HMM..
Well all stock coolers are loud on most video cards. Your gonna need a decent video card to get you buy, and I recomend this card. ATI X850XT for 95$ AMIR, 115$ up front. Its a 16 piped 256bit memory bus with GDDR3 memory. It will give you nice IQ, perform very well in almost any game, and its the only card in its class thats under 100$
:)

EDIT For got the link... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688

Vengance_01 said:
Well all stock coolers are loud on most video cards. Your gonna need a decent video card to get you buy, and I recomend this card. ATI X850XT for 95$ AMIR, 115$ up front. Its a 16 piped 256bit memory bus with GDDR3 memory. It will give you nice IQ, perform very well in almost any game, and its the only card in its class thats under 100$
:)

EDIT For got the link... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688

how about the X1900 GT? I see that card for 210$ on froogle? Is that going to be a little quieter? Actually, if I can just get a larger diameter fan on it to make it quieter, I don't mind doing that...

Well this what you need to ask your self. What games do you play atm, and whats your normal upgrade habits. IE if you normally upgrade alot and have the money to spare, an X1900XT with an aftermarket cooler would be your best bet, but if you like to hang on to stuff, I would wait for R600 and direct X10. That 100$ card will handle next gen games decently till we see mature Direct X 10 stuff and Vista. The card should hold its re-sell value pretty well and won't break the bank.

Vengance_01 said:
Well this what you need to ask your self. What games do you play atm, and whats your normal upgrade habits. IE if you normally upgrade alot and have the money to spare, an X1900XT with an aftermarket cooler would be your best bet, but if you like to hang on to stuff, I would wait for R600 and direct X10. That 100$ card will handle next gen games decently till we see mature Direct X 10 stuff and Vista. The card should hold its re-sell value pretty well and won't break the bank.

Good points... Actually.. at the moment, I don't play too many games. I just mostly watch videos, and do some photoediting... a LOT of multitasking... and I'll prolly use a lot of VMware ... so I guess the videocard isn't that critical...
howver, I do enjoy a few games of Quake 4, Half life, probably will try some prey, and other FPS's.
When are the R600's due out?
also, are the X1900 Gts better or the 7900 GT's better for performance?

X1900's vs 7900GT is a toss up. They are pretty much even, with better IQ to ATI, and slighty better FPS to the 7900GT. If you are not really playing games atm, mabey even an X800Pro might be good. I got mine open boxed from newegg for 86$. 12 pipes, 256bit memory bus and 256MB of 2.0NS GDRR3. I am waiting for the R600 and vista.

Vengance_01 said:
X1900's vs 7900GT is a toss up. They are pretty much even, with better IQ to ATI, and slighty better FPS to the 7900GT. If you are not really playing games atm, mabey even an X800Pro might be good. I got mine open boxed from newegg for 86$. 12 pipes, 256bit memory bus and 256MB of 2.0NS GDRR3. I am waiting for the R600 and vista.

I do have an x800XT in my other box. But too bad this intel board doesnt support any AGP cards. I guess I will try to benchmark this system with the onboard video first. If it can play my games and handle my apps adequately (40+ fps games), then maybe I will keep this setup until the R600 cores come out. Otherwise, I just might get the x1900xt, because december might be too long of a wait.

hmmm. I guess no one has this setup yet huh? I will see on weds what these babies can do. heh.

I'd say take the x850 and pick up an ATI Silencer for it.

I have an x800 GTO that's been unlocked and it handles the latest and greatest just fine.
I have an ATI Silencer Rev. 5 (I believe) and it's fairly silent when it's run off of a fan controller.

-Rannoch

Hey ilumo, I'll be watching with interest. I've had a new SG01-E, NT06, E6400 and a Liberty 400W PSU for a month now. Just been waiting (it's been hard) for some 965 boards to come out. Thanks for being first and stepping up to the plate :)

Here's my advice :

If you are dead set on getting a passive gfx card for your set up without fan, without noise :
and you're determined on using a Nvidia 7900 GT then get this . . .

MSI NVIDIA Fanless 7900GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E

I'd personally get a X1950XT supposedly very very quiet, except when you're gaming.
and the price looks to be much cheaper than the 1900 series with better performance.

As far as the motherboard is concerned, I would imagine it would be released 'this month' sometime and I'd have a hap hazzard guess there are a large amount of people out there that have waited far too long for any good conroe m-ATX motherboard releases . . .
and like myself will grab the first decent 965 board that pops out.
Which just happens to be the Gigabyte.

Strange it's the Gigabyte that arrives first over at your place (USA I assume). Just this morning a saw the first webshop over here (The Netherlands) that has the Asus P5B-VM in stock. I'm pretty sure most online resellers wil follow within the next two weeks.
I'm going for that one, in combination with the Silverstone SG01-E, GeForce 7950 GX2 and a Conroe E6700. :cool:

That is the first I have heard October. That is bullshite!

Well, that Gigabyte mATX board looks very promising and the x1 slot is in the right position that I will actually be able to use it.

Please post your OC results. It's been torture waiting for mATX boards to come out while seeing all the amazing overclocks of the normal ATX boards.

I'm dying here!

jvrobert said:
Look at this sheer ridiculousness:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/05/g965_shipments/

I hope they just ship the stupid things, I don't care about the graphics or graphics drivers, though obviously most customers would.
Oh come on!!! :mad:
I've sold almost the entire content of my SG01 and what the hell can I do with only an empty case and a 7800 GTX?? :( Why aren't there mATX boards with a P965, Q965 or 975X northbridge?? And where are the boards with nForce and ATi chipsets? Does anybody have news about those?
Ray-zor said:
Strange it's the Gigabyte that arrives first over at your place (USA I assume). Just this morning a saw the first webshop over here (The Netherlands) that has the Asus P5B-VM in stock. I'm pretty sure most online resellers wil follow within the next two weeks.
I'm going for that one, in combination with the Silverstone SG01-E, GeForce 7950 GX2 and a Conroe E6700. :cool:
As far as I know, the Gigabyte mobo is still not available. At which shop did you see that Asus board? I don't want an Asus board but I'm tired of waiting and I'm considering to buy one nevertheless.

I've been waiting so long for one of these boards, P5B-VM or GA-965GM-S2 to be released, I've just about gotten over it. VIDEO!!..I don't need no stinking onboard video, they say that's the hold up, video prolly won't work right when they do release it :) Nothing to do now, but see how Ilumo's Intel board works out. One thing for sure, if and when they do release something, don't think there will be a shortage of testers :)

D-Three said:
[...]
At which shop did you see that Asus board? I don't want an Asus board but I'm tired of waiting and I'm considering to buy one nevertheless.

In fact, many Dutch websites have been offering the board for several weeks now but always with an undeterment delivery time. I've found http://www.obcs.nl/ to be a handy site. Search for "P5B-VM" and it'll show 4 of the same products, depicting the 4 wholesalers/suppliers they get it from. As you can see, one of the items actually has a number ("aantal" in Dutch) available (since yesterday :)), which should mean the Asus is in stock at obcs.nl. And when clicking on the expected date ("verwachte datum" in Dutch) for some of the 4 items, it returns a date in this week.

Yesterday I emailed the store where I intend to order the p5b-vm to ask about their expected delivery time, but haven't received an answer yet.

Have yet to hear/read anything about the Gigabyte board...

i975X will NEVER be mATX, ever. lol

intel has been having allot of problems with G965 and Q965 for some reason, god knows why they actually are halting the distribution. Apparently its also a matter that intel cannot keep up with demand for the new chipset especially in the OEM sector, which intel gladly fills before us peons.

If any of you are waiting for the gigabyte board, dont plan to overclock. Only gigabytes S6 series is aimed at overclocking, and only the S3 series has meager OC options. Down to the S2 series, there isnt a single tweaking option.

Good deal... look what came in from the UPS man today:

DSC00414.jpg

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

The strange thing is that there is no documentation about the bios on there. I wanted to see what kind of overclocking options there were, but I guess I won't be able to find out until my case/proc, and the rest of the hardware comes in. Damn, can't wait :)

I'm afraid those Intel boards don't have much OC-options.
Dillusion said:
i975X will NEVER be mATX, ever. lol
I can only hope :) Are there going to be some good mATX before christmas?? ;) I'm even considering an Intel board :eek:
If any of you are waiting for the gigabyte board, dont plan to overclock. Only gigabytes S6 series is aimed at overclocking, and only the S3 series has meager OC options. Down to the S2 series, there isnt a single tweaking option.
Not even with the ctrl-F1 key-combo? My previous mATX mobo was a Gigabyte board (GA-K8NMF-9, S939). Not a bad board at all but no visible OC-options. Pressing ctrl-F1 in the BIOS screen revealed hidden options and with those some OC'ing was possible. Of course it still wasn't a OC-board.

@ Ray-zor: Bedankt! ;)

no, not even hidden options. the ctrl+f1 thing only unlocks memory vdimm and timings.

Alrighty.... Just the case is left, and then after, time to do some benchmarking :) Heres the ram, mobo, cpu, and cooler.
I hope the ram works with the CPU. It would really blow to have the board "only" accept 1.8v ram. ohh well. we will see.

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

One question...
The optional 3rd fan for the SG-01... Do you guys have it exhausting air, or blowing air into the case? I think either would work, but if I have a videocard in there.. maybe blowing fresh air on there is good?

Thanks

I've been running my 6600 on a 945 S2 for a few weeks now...no complaints, very good performance. I just want the piece of mind knowing my RAM is being used to its full potential. Therefore, I'll be buying the P5B-VM or 965 S2 soon.

ilumo said:
One question...
The optional 3rd fan for the SG-01... Do you guys have it exhausting air, or blowing air into the case? I think either would work, but if I have a videocard in there.. maybe blowing fresh air on there is good?
Thanks

Good question. You'll probably have to experiment with it to get the answer. I just (one hour ago :cool: ) ordered a SG01E with the Asus P5B-VM, a Geforce 7950GX2 and a soundcard. The vidcard sort of being two cards stuck together, I'll end up with three cards close together. My first bet would be blowing fresh air between them with the middle fan. Thus feeding the vidcard coolers with fresh air and pushing hot air from between the cards. The rear fan would then be in charge of sucking hot air out. But that's just theory, we'll see how it works in practice.

Thx for the updates by the way.

damn. this kinda sucks... I've scoured through the BIOs and I cant find ANY overclocking options!! argg... however, The computer DID post, and did boot with the 1.9V ram.

However, I have tried to increase the memory speed and timing, and now it wont boot up. I've tried to set the bios on "recovery" mode with the jumpers, but that doesnt work.. it's still "beeping" at me. I've just tried to take out the bios battery, and see if that works...

argg.

There aren't any over clocking options, only a burn in mode.
That's why we're all waiting for another mobo.

satchi said:
There aren't any over clocking options, only a burn in mode.
That's why we're all waiting for another mobo.

Where do you see the "burn in mode"????
I don't even see that option...

Back