SFF W/ Kicker Subs?

ExtremeFragFest

Limp Gawd
Hello I was wondering.. I have a kicker dual 12's audio setup.. I dont have a car ATM but i would like to somehow use it in my house with my shuttle XPC System... Basicly my home stereo :) lol

here is a picture of the speakers... i got them from a friend of mine for $80.00

They are 2 12" Kicker Impulses

Pics:

kicker1.bmp

kicker2.bmp

kicker3.bmp

is it possible to somehow hook these up to my pc? and how would i go about doing it.. Thanks :)

You need an amp to drive it. You can connect the PC to the amp and the amp to the sub. Hopefully the amp has a lowpass filter.

PC -> Amp -> Sub

Like Leukotriene said: Buy yourself a decent amp, get a 1/8" to RCA connector, and hook an RCA patch cord from the adaptor to the amp. Just make sure you wire the speakers right.. dual 4ohm speakers wired in parallel might end up melting down a crappy amp.

EDIT: Make sure that your amp has a crossover, otherwise you'll get some terrible, terrible sound out of it. Crossover = lowpass filter, so you know.

Can you point me in a good direction for a decent amp? I want to be able to push some decent bass out of these... They look like they can do some nice dammage :) but it would under my computer desk by my feet so i'll feel it alot

I'm thinking about getting some kind of Kenwood amp? something within the 500-600 amp range? not really sure what to get.. not a audio buff or anything.. so any advice would be great... also a guide to wire the speakers right so i dont melt/mess up anything

New question :D

Now say if i get a full car audio setup.. Speakers,Amp,Deck,CrossOver and all those good things... Can i make it all work in my room? untill i get a car to put it in... Would i need a Car's Battery to run everything? I have a nice place to put the deck in my room... just a thought.

Extreme,

You need 12V power for car audio stuff, but I'm not sure what the best route for hooking that up would be. Do a look on the net / ebay for power inverters, specifically 12V ones. You might be able to jury-rig a couple of computer PSU's together to get it to work, at least to power a cd-deck and a small amp. Subwoofers would be out of the question though.

Keep in mind that car speakers are designed to sound good in the door of a small enclosed space, so they may not sound very good in a big room.

Well.. These speakers would not fit inside of a side door.. unless modded into the door :)

My room is oh... i dont know its a decent size..

As for the power inverter.. i'm sure i can get one from work for a decent price..

But if you are going to get a full car audio setup to put in your room then you will have other speakers. Also, those speakers you have are still designed to be in a small, enclosed space. Should still sound okay, though. And you don't need a power inverter. Not sure what that guy was thinking. You will need a 120VAC -> 12VDC converter, with a fairly decent current rating.

This place is so helpfull :)

Can you list a few more things i might need? also if you know about audio.. maybe you can help me find a nice crossover/amp or something.. thanks

I know about theories and concepts and stuff, but I have no idea as far as actual products are concerned. If I had money then I would probably know more about this sort of thing. :) There is a car audio subforum under the cars forum with some pretty knowledgeable people. Might want to post down there for some opinions.

Shoot, by the time you get into all that, you might just have spent about as much as it would have taken to buy yourself a good set of bookshelf speakers and a beefy 5 channel amp for both them and your subwoofer.

Why reinvent the wheel? Get the right tool for the right job.

[edit]

to that end, look at Parts Express to see subwoofer amps that you might buy. They have all the sorts of things that you might need to make a sub work with any future system.

Subwoofer Amplifiers

GodsMadClown,

Good call on a plate amp for the woofers, then you'll at least not need a ginormous 110>12V converter to power it all.

If you got a decent ammount of money you could just sell those kickers and get a real ht sub. If you plan on keeping those I would suggest looking for a mono amp. Perferably class d. Should be rated at around 400-600w.

Well i'm going to keep these for my car.. because i only paid $80.00 for these :) so i wana put them to use for the mean time...

Back