SFF Update Build (New guts)

Well, it's been years since my last build, so I decided the other day to do a gut of my current system. My current build has been awesome, but it's showing its age. The old parts are going to a friend, so it all works out.

I decided to go a little more high-end this time, as I don't plan on doing much OC, if any.

Here's what I'm rolling with:
i7 3770 @3.5Ghz
G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 16GB (2 x 8)
Asus Maximus V Gene micro atx
Corsair 180GB SSD
Corsair H80 - Should fit fine, similar dimensions to H80, just a bit thicker.
Asus 680 DC2-Top

Keeping:
Antec mini p180
Seasonic modular 750w PSU
Two basic storage drives

What do you folks think? I'm pumped to get this started haha!

What will you use the computer for?

No overclocking? No need to get the Gene mobo. Use an ASRock H77 or Z77 chipset motherboard. $80 saved.

No overclocking? No need to get the H80. Use stock cooler. $80 saved.

GTX 680? That means you are gaming. No need for Core i7. Just get a Core i5. $100 saved.

Intel CPU with discrete graphics? No need for super fast RAM. Also, I think that RAM requires 1.6v. Find something that only needs 1.5v and is 1600MHz. $40 saved.

That $300 saved will make your computer maybe 2% slower in games. Alright, I pulled that number out of my nether regions, but actual performance should be in the ballpark. There are real reasons to get some of that hardware, but unless they actually apply to what you will use the computer for, you are totally wasting your money for almost no gain. You can use that money saved, for instance, in getting a larger capacity SSD. Or replacing your old "basic storage drives" with newer models that have bigger capacity, faster performance as well as lower noise and power draw (depending on how old your old drives are).

What will you use the computer for?

No overclocking? No need to get the Gene mobo. Use an ASRock H77 or Z77 chipset motherboard. $80 saved.

No overclocking? No need to get the H80. Use stock cooler. $80 saved.

GTX 680? That means you are gaming. No need for Core i7. Just get a Core i5. $100 saved.

Intel CPU with discrete graphics? No need for super fast RAM. Also, I think that RAM requires 1.6v. Find something that only needs 1.5v and is 1600MHz. $40 saved.

That $300 saved will make your computer maybe 2% slower in games. Alright, I pulled that number out of my nether regions, but actual performance should be in the ballpark. There are real reasons to get some of that hardware, but unless they actually apply to what you will use the computer for, you are totally wasting your money for almost no gain. You can use that money saved, for instance, in getting a larger capacity SSD. Or replacing your old "basic storage drives" with newer models that have bigger capacity, faster performance as well as lower noise and power draw (depending on how old your old drives are).

Zap, this why I love these forums! Thanks much for the advice. This is incredibly helpful. I'm going to step the CPU and ram back a bit so that I can grab a larger SSD. And you're correct about the storage drives, I've noticed most mobos are 6gb/s now. I'd like to take advantage of that.

Have any good HD recommendations?

I'll be running some VMs, but just not sure how much I'll be diving into them yet.

For now I don't have plans to OC, but that could change. I wouldn't mind having the option though.

Last edited:
Still going for the expensive board? You can totally save a lot of money not going with it. You can get mATX ASRock Z77 chipset boards for cheaper that can still overclock.

New HDDs are faster than old ones, but they still can't take advantage of SATA 6Gbps like an SSD can. What are your drive models and how old are they?

For HDD recommendation if it is mostly storage, get a WD Red 3TB. They go on sale for around $150, and are reasonably fast, power efficient and they do not head park.

Still going for the expensive board? You can totally save a lot of money not going with it. You can get mATX ASRock Z77 chipset boards for cheaper that can still overclock.

New HDDs are faster than old ones, but they still can't take advantage of SATA 6Gbps like an SSD can. What are your drive models and how old are they?

For HDD recommendation if it is mostly storage, get a WD Red 3TB. They go on sale for around $150, and are reasonably fast, power efficient and they do not head park.

I'm an Asus fan, but will certainly give the ASRock a good look.

My current drives are in my sig, but I think I'm going to pass those on as well in favor of one single large storage drive.

Back