SFF/TKL non-mechanical keyboard

whatevs

Limp Gawd
Anyone have a favored SFF/TKL style keyboard for regular day to day usage as an IT person/developer that is available for sale to match their SFF PC/workstation?

Absolutely not mechanical(must be usable at night or in shared space), keys must be in standard locations (escape, back slash, left ctrl) and must have regular sized cursor, backspace, backslash keys...

The best I could find right now is the
- Micro Center MK-100 Mini USB Keyboard (12.6 x 5.75 x 0.75(1 w/leg out) - not super exact) ($8)
- HP USB Mini Keyboard 87-Key TKL (no longer sold, 2012?)
- Perixx PERIBOARD-407B, Mini Keyboard (12.60 x 5.55 x 0.98) ($17)

I ended up buying the MK-100, i really like the nice key sizes all around. Only really missing the Break key for Hyper-V/VMConnect full screen shortcut and vol+/- short cuts so I don't have to go out of full screen during videos. Happy bonus: location of delete and friends keys have allowed them to semi-enter regular usage because of less interruption to typing.

I found the Perixx too late. Only difference besides it having access to all keys and good Fn shortcuts, is while they seem to have same spacing(they are same size keyboard), the Perixx uses more of the space for separator versus the inland(Micro Center store brand) uses it for the key. I'm happy with purchase, bought a spare. The MK-100 has recessed fold-out legs, fyi.

Anyway, my google-fu keeps getting hit by noisy mechanical TKL keyboards. Finding above was hard. Anyone have something else they like and is readily available?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Or get a none clicky mechanical and use rubber rings ? :)
I've a pok3r red with o-rings and my girlfriend no longer complains at night.

Or get a none clicky mechanical and use rubber rings ? :)
I've a pok3r red with o-rings and my girlfriend no longer complains at night.

Whats the old story, something like, guy goes to doctor about hearing problem, doctor gives him something to put in ear and says come back in a couple of weeks, he cant hear anything with plug, comes back in a couple of weeks and doctor tells him to take it out, guy goes wow, i can hear everything so well.

I use this keyboard:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Aluminum-Wired-Keyboard-MB110LL/dp/B000V07N9U
haven't seen anything better than that. It has different locations for Win\Alt keys, but i remapped them through SharpKeys and have no problems with that.
If you don't like Apple's product for some reason, but you like it's design, MS has a clone:
https://www.microsoft.com/accessori...microsoft-modern-keyboard-with-fingerprint-id

P.S. I am a software developer
Those are standard 17" wide keyboards. Big comfort and usability difference with TKL type keyboards. Already have great standard size keyboard, PS/2 Logitech Classis K100.

IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads have always had the best laptop keyboards in my opinion. Several generations of Thinkpad laptop keyboards have been available also as stand-alone keyboards. Most of these have had a track-pad built in -- and of course a trackpoint.

If you want full-height keys and small form factor, look at Happy Hacking Keyboard or Topre Realforce TKL, both with Topre switches. Those are often discussed together with mechanical keyboards - but mostly because of their high quality and high price.
They are also quite silent, especially the "Type S" variants that have sound-dampening also on the upstroke.

As to the loudness of mechanical keyboards, that varies greatly depending on switch, make and model even before any mods to make them more silent. Personally I find that people who speak in an office are much more disturbing than any keyboard.

Anyone have a favored SFF/TKL style keyboard for regular day to day usage as an IT person/developer that is available for sale to match their SFF PC/workstation?
I don't see how keyboard size and desktop PC size would be related, other than for packing when travelling to LAN parties.
You choose the size of your PC to fit your available desk space, but the size of your keyboard is relative to you and your habits and for ergonomics. A smaller keyboard allows you to have the mouse closer to centre which helps avoiding joint problems in your right arm.

I know there are quite a few people who use a separate keyboard with their laptops, even on the go because it has better feel or features than the laptop keyboard, but that does not apply here.

Back