SFF PSU suggestions SG01

elvn

Supreme [H]ardness
According to several newegg reviews, the enermax powersupply sometimes arrives DOA, and other times after days/weeks/months dies or ZAP!! s (sometimes taking other hadware with it apparently).

I'm trying to decide which PSU to get. I was looking at the enermax liberty initially, and was also looking at the ULTRA 550w. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

=========================================================

Any thoughts on some of the higher watt PSU's on newegg such as these or others?..

SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V 750W Power Supply 90 - 264V OCP,OVP,SCP,NLO - Retail
Model#: SST-ST75ZF Item#: N82E16817256006 Price: $209.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256006

----------------------------------------------------------------

AeroCool ZERODBA ZERODBA-S620 EPS 12V & ATX 12V 2.02 compliant with Powerful Dual +12V Rails 620W Power Supply 100-120V/200-240V IP,OVP OPP,SCP - Retail
Model#: ZERODBA-S620 Item#: N82E16817331002 Price: $118.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817331002

Welp, I have an Ultra 550 in my rig and its humming along just fine.

As far as the Enermax, like any PSU, there's gonna always be a bad batch/lot of these things. As far as I've heard, the Enermax PSU's are pretty decent, but I do not have experience with the SG01 /Enermax combo, so I turn this over to whom ever has this setup.

-E

i have an enermax in my Qpack and i love it, it's quiet and the modular ports are great. if it can fit in your case, i really recommend it.

Both enermax models have many reviews (on newegg.com) regarding them being DOA and "going up in smoke" and taking motherboards or more with them. I am very wary after reading all those reviews. I appreciate any insights and suggestions though, thnx guys.

i have an enermax noisetaker 600w and it has never gave me any trouble. Ran it for almost 8 months non-stop w/the occasional restart. Awesome psu, would recommend to anyone.

elvn said:
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V 750W Power Supply 90 - 264V OCP,OVP,SCP,NLO - Retail
Model#: SST-ST75ZF Item#: N82E16817256006 Price: $209.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256006

I can't think of any reason to put a 750W PSU in a SG01, but whatever.

You may want to consider the SeaSonic S12-600, it gets rave reviews and is very quiet. It is also shorter than the ST75F. As it is, the ST75F MAY not work with the SFF. For me, I could not use the lower 5.25" bay with my ST60F because of how long the ST60F is(I use a NEC 3520A). The Seasonis is about an inch shorter than the ST75F. Plus you'll save $40.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025

If you really do want a 700W+ PSU. I'll let you know how the OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU fits tomorrow. My FSP 700W(Same PSU, wish I had known before hand and saved $30) arrived today and I'll be opening it tomorrow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

Cool thanks for giving me that info I'm looking your suggestions up now. :cool:

Appreciate your exp with your new psu also.

You'll be happy to know that the 700W I ordered fits fine in the SG-01 and has more than enough space for the drives. It is the size of any standard ATX PSU.

Cool thanks for the update.

I know the PSU isn't modular, were the cables any problem? One of the reviews on newegg said the cables were a bit long so I'm wondering if you had any trouble tucking them away in the SG01. This PSU would round out my SFF parts mockup/wishlist nicely. :)

---------------------------
I am probably going to wait until newegg starts carrying the AM2 4400+ cpu and a foxconn 6150M2MA-8EKRS2 AM2 board before I order everything though. Hopefully end of the month or early July. I'll buy them together elsewhere if I can find them in stock.

Newegg carries Biostar, MSI, and gigabyte socket AM2 boards and XP 2800+ to 3800+ AM2's so far. Monarch and Tigerdirect carry the XP4400+ AM2 but monarch's eta on it is June 30th.

The cables are quite long. But that shouldn't be too much of an issue considering how much space will be between the PSU and DVD. You can bundle the sables and still use two DVD drives if you so choose.

I used a Seasonic 500 Watt PSU... very silent, but since it's not a modular PSU... the cables. I'm thinkong about changing it... maybe to a Hiper or Enermax

You really can't see into the SG01 since it doesn't have windows...therefore looks aren't that important (if they were I'd go with the Ultra X2). Since you are not, go with the Seasonic S12 500w...yeah no modular cables but who cares...you can tuck them away very easily.

If not that than the liberty is good.

Cool guys thnx for all the good info. They seem like pretty decent options for the most part.

As for the enermax PSUs, the reviews relating DOA or dying in operation are still are alittle scary though. I was initially considering the Ultra X2 (shiny object lol), but I think I'd like alittle more power.

Tucking cables is fine for me in the SG01 case as long as they fit out of the way behind the cd drive, etc. I just didn't want bundles hanging down into airflow lanes or blocking the PSU fan(s).

By the way I'm going to be using the

SILVERSTONE SST-NT06 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

- which might make a difference in what PSU I get. I was considering the OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU that Dew mentioned. I've had power issues before so I'd rather have too much power than too little, to power extra cards and audigy external box, etc.

. Would the OCZ work out well with the NT06? If I have to remove the Silverstone fan from the heatsink in order for it to fit, the OCZ PSU seems to have a large fan on it that could be directed down onto the heatsink? :)

with SFF power is not that big of a deal. You would be hard pressed to use 700 watts in an SG01. You would have to do SLi with 7900s, 4800+, 8 hard drives, a sound card, and a few opitical drives...and you would still have power.

You don't need more than 500watts. I use under 200 in my system and I have a good comp.

Using an enermax 620W (wanted the 500W but they'd sold out so I thought what the heck) in an SG01 with an NT06. Not heard of any probs with the enermax :confused: but it seems fine so far (only 10 days in so early days). Max temperatures on CPU or GPU are 51C under load.

Just a bump to let you all know I'm definitely reading your suggestions/PSU experiences. Thanks for your continued infos. :)

It looks like the AM2 4400+ cpus I was waiting for are becoming available now, but the foxconn M2 micro atx board I'm waiting for doesn't seem to be yet.

So I don't have to decide just yet on the psu. I'd like to order most, if not all of the parts at once.

I'm leaning toward the 700w one, its good to know it will fit in the SG01. Hope it fits with the NGON heatstink + fan though. (SILVERSTONE SST-NT06 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink). Otherwise perhaps one of the other 500w+ psu's mentioned in this thread.

I have a Enermax Liberty 400W in my q-pack running a A64 3700+ and a X1800XT 512mb and have not had any problems.

The thing with Newegg reviews is that mostly people who have problems do a reviews and most likely they are the small percentage of buyers who have problems with defects which with any product there is always a chance because there is no such thing as a product with 0% defects after being sold, somethign always goes wrong for soemone.

It's been a month and the computer only goes off when I sleep and I game alot too so it takes the stress well

@Steeeeve I tried that... but there is too many.
I'm selling my Seasonic S12 500w, and buy'ing a Enermax Liberty 500Watt. I would say go with a silent modular PSU... like the Enermax

I assume you know you won't be able to fit the fan of the NT06 - the NT06 should be suitable for use with any power supply tho as you can see in the link below:

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/782/1

My enermax is shorter than the one shown in the picture so the whole heatsink isn't covered - still it seems to work well enough despite this. I did consider mounting a fan underneath the heatsink as others have done (note - the NT06 fan is too thick) but since I have no heat problems I haven't gone down this route so far.

I have an NT06 on my setup. As long as the PSU you choose has a 120mm fan on the bottom of the PSU pulling air up then the NT06 won't need a seperate fan in order for it to work.

-E

Back