SFF options for a developer

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by Spun Ducky, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Gawd

I am a developer that mainly works in C/C++/GoLang/Python/x86 Assembly. I more recently have gotten involved in a Java based android application. Android studio absolutely chugs on my thinkpad T440s and my power bill cries from my dual socket workstation. I want to get a power efficient but still powerful enough SFF system.

I am currently looking at some of the bean canyon nucs, Asrock Deskmini 310w with 8700, or ideas on roll your own comparable systems. So if there is any case or prebuilts I am overlooking please let me know.

2. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Does it have to be Intel...?

ASRock has the Deskmini A300 barebones coming out in less than a month...

It will fit a Ryzen APU, up to 32GB RAM (two SO-DIMMs), two M.2 NVMe SSDs, & two 2.5" HDD/SSDs...

All in a 6" x 6" x 3" chassis, 1.9 liters (not including the external 120W power brick)...

The barebones is 120 bucks; add a Ryzen 5 2400G APU, 16GB of DDR4-2933 RAM, & 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD; you are looking at about 550 bucks shipped from Newegg...

3. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Gawd

I have no opposition to AMD. I will have to look into the release date on that AMD deskmini a bit more. Thank you

4. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

I agree with Boil. If cost and size matters, its a really good option. Here's a link to some more information.
    ASRock-3.jpg
    ASRock-1.jpg
    That said if you need the best CPU performance, a 2400G would be outclassed by a similar or better Intel CPU (clockspeed and higher core counts)

The 2400G would have superior graphics performance on the other hand if you we're trying to avoid a sperate GPU.

You should also check Intel's Nucs which feature AMD graphics. Those are about the best all around if money is not an object.

5. XcPNehVYlE4A3C

XcPNehVYlE4A3C Limp Gawd

from what i understand intel has the best C++ compilers and tools? maybe check on that first.

used skull canyon nucs are pretty cheap these days, its a fantastic super-portable machine that will give you good power usage to power balance.

otherwise a deskmini with 65w chip (7700 non k, etc.) will be cheap and powerful but use a bit more power

6. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Gawd

I ended up getting the 8th gen NUC NUC8i5BEH. I threw in 32gb of ram and a 500gb ssd. It has been perfect for my use speed wise. I may pick up a second one or a deskmini to play around with as well. I will for sure upgrade once the ghost canyon stuff comes out or amd drops some higher core count mini pcs.