SFF/Micro ATX - Suggestions for a water cooled build

pr1m3

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I'm looking to start a project build, which will most likely be bought from a friend. Basically the main goal is, to have the most portable case that can handle water cooling. We'd like to go with a small form factor case, but there isn't many cases in the market that even with modding (cutting panels, anything) that handle a water cooling setup well. I'd be open to go with a micro atx case, since they are smaller. Of a small atx case, if not too large. There is a budget for the case, being under 120$ would be stellar.

Also, it probably won't be housing a large radiator either. The CPU will be the only thing water cooled in this build. I'm finally asking here, because I've been googling for about two weeks now and just can't really turn up anything promising.

Side note, for whatever reason. I'd love to see a mini itx water cooled. Just because.

what cpu are you cooling you may not get enough rad power in the case...i think the antec 300 would work alrite. or in reality if your going to be doing modding just find and boxy case, they are easier to mod : )

It'll probably be a core duo 2, something like the E5200 Wolfdale. The computer will be mainly used for gaming on a 22" screen and also will be used to play BD movies on the entertainment system. I was looking at the AMD Kuma cores, but I dunno. I used to be big on AMD, just having a hard time going back to them.

I was thinking about the Antec 300. I would cut out the 3.25" bays, to make room for water cooling. I'm curious if a rad would line up with those two front 120mm fans or not.

If this will be a strictly portable gaming build, go with a mini p180. by removing the 2 hard drive cages in the upper section, you could potentially have 3x120 (a 2x120 and a 1x120) rads without any actual modding. If you wanted to go balls out, you could remove the 200mm fan up top and make a bracket for another 2x120 or even a 3x120 (you're have to check length though). Or you could do a 4x92 and keep the 200mm fan. The only downside about this case is price.

Yeah, I saw the p180 and thought it would work out. But didn't like the price. I'm thinking maybe the NZXT Rouge (on sale for 89.99 on newegg right now) or the Antec 300. The nice thing about the Rouge, it has two 120mm fan sections on each side and potienally looks good to fit a 2x120 rad. I'm also doing this, because I can't decide if I want to keep my H2go case I bought from Mountain mods. I like the case, just wish it was slightly bigger for the price I paid for it. And yes, I know.. I'm trying to go small, can't gripe about space, but yeah. I'll be posting pics of that case when I'm done with the modding. I'm not one to really keep a work log =(

The Antec 300 is very easy to mod for water. Just remove the hard drive cage in the front and you could fit a 2x120 rad there perfectly. Get yourself one of those 3.5 to 5.25 converters that let you use two 5.25" bays to fit in three 3.5" hdd's plus most come with a fan. I used the Lian Li one.

I watercooled my microfly a while back. See post for details.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033986665&postcount=388

Also, you can get a slim profile rad that can be mounted inside by just trimming the support bar on the right side of the case, so you don't have to do much modding. You can get them here. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=21115

or this one

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21112

Hope this helps.

Back