SFF HTPC Recommendation

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking to purchase a small form factor HTPC in the next few days. This will be paired with a 60" LCD TV to watch HD content from Netflix and other online streaming content.

I have read a few reviews and the majority of them seem to recommend the ASRock. I think I have narrowed it down to a few models:

1. ASRock Core100 - $490
2. ASRock Vision 3D - $750

Questions:
-- Is the second option with the dedicated NVIDIA GT425M worth an extra $250? I suppose the Intel HD graphics (via HDMI) will be enough for 1080p content?
-- Are there any other alternatives that I may have overlooked? I know that Acer has an HTPC and the Dell Zino HD is also an option. How good are these two compared to the ASRock?

Thanks!

Build a mini ITX thats supports a low profile DGPU and you do a bit of future proofing for your self - especially at the 750 range.

The up-options version has more than just a better vid card. It also has blu-ray and 3D playback.

When you say HD content from Netflix, do you mean you want to play blu-rays or just stream HD?

From your description of your needs, this system sounds like overkill to me. It is nice, though, but seems as if you pay good money for the small size.

What exactly do you intend to do with this?

I should have clarified better.

Build a mini ITX thats supports a low profile DGPU and you do a bit of future proofing for your self - especially at the 750 range.

Normally I would do this, but I moved to a different city and do not have the time to build a system. Need to buy something that can be plugged in and is ready to go.

The up-options version has more than just a better vid card. It also has blu-ray and 3D playback.

When you say HD content from Netflix, do you mean you want to play blu-rays or just stream HD?

Just stream HD. Do not need the capability to play Blu-ray discs.

From your description of your needs, this system sounds like overkill to me. It is nice, though, but seems as if you pay good money for the small size.

Even the $450 one is overkill?

What exactly do you intend to do with this?

I intend to connect it to a 60" TV to use as an HTPC - streaming movies, playing DVDs, and browsing websites and other online content while using the television as the primary monitor. This will purely be a home theater device and is not meant to replace a PC.

I would get the cheaper one if you only want to watch DVDs (not Blu-ray), since you don't want to build your own box. Also, any 1080p content you stream from the internet will not be the same as 1080p blu-ray, so it won't be nearly as demanding to stream.

Did you price compare with those other two systems you mentioned?

I did price compare somewhat.

The Dell Zino HD is roughly the same as the lower end ASRock. The only difference is that it has a dual-core AMD instead of the i3 and a discrete Radeon 5450 instead of the Intel Integrated HD.

My only question is: is the integrated Intel graphics sufficient to play back 1080p content on a 60"? Will there be a noticeable improvement in quality from a discrete graphics card?

I did price compare somewhat.

The Dell Zino HD is roughly the same as the lower end ASRock. The only difference is that it has a dual-core AMD instead of the i3 and a discrete Radeon 5450 instead of the Intel Integrated HD.

My only question is: is the integrated Intel graphics sufficient to play back 1080p content on a 60"? Will there be a noticeable improvement in quality from a discrete graphics card?

I don't have an i3 with integrated graphics, so I can't answer that from 1st hand experience.

However, there is this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9TwdHfWtI"]‪intel Core i3 integrated Graphics playing FullHD‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

and, both my tablets, an Apple Ipad 2 and an Acer Iconia Tab, can play 1080p content on an external display.

Note, it makes no difference what the size of the display is, it's still 1920 by 1080 pixels (at most).

Playing 1080p is no big deal, really. Streaming full HD (blu-ray 1080p) is.

If that is the case, then from Anandtech.com comments on your two choices, you cant go wrong.
google their comments and thoughts.

Back