• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SFF Gaming rig with the NCASE

lando23

n00b
Joined
Aug 26, 2013
Messages
1
Hello. I'm coming back to PC gaming after a long hiatus (my last gaming PC that I built was a Pentium 3). I'm intrigued by the idea of a SFF gaming PC, and I particularly like the crowd funded NCASE enclosure, and would like to build something around that. However, there seem to be a lot more options these days, not just in terms of chipsets, CPUs and GPUs but also form-factors.

That's where you come in.

I'm willing to get pretty spendy on this (I'm a pretty successful programmer with no kids, so...). I'm pretty sure I want a 7970 GPU, if I can, and an SSD/platter setup. I'm particularly mystified about my options on motherboards and power supplies. Without further ado, here are my answers to those questions in the sticky thread:

1. What will you be doing with this PC?
Gaming. I'm a big RTS and FPS fan - and there are many games from the last 10 years that I've missed.

2. Will you be overclocking/water cooling?
I'm open to the possibility. However, I value my game play experience over twiddling experience, so while I'm willing to fiddle a bit, I don't want an unstable system and I don't want to spend more time troubleshooting than I do gaming.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
I'd like to keep it under $2k.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
There's a Fry's nearby, but frankly, I hate them. Literally nothing I've ever purchased from them has ever worked properly, except tools and network cables.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget?
I'm starting from scratch. As I've mentioned, I really like the NCASE enclosure and from what I've read on tomshardware, I think the 7970 is the GPU I want. Other than that, I'm open.

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
I have a 27" Cinema display with Thunderbird that I'd like to use if I can. But if not, no great loss.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s?
Apart from being mini-ITX, I don't think I have any specific requirements.

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?
I'm content with whatever the 7970 outputs.

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.
The NCASE apparently supports a slot-loading DVD drive, and I'd like to have one.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?
I'd rather not do a lot of customization.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this system?
It's a gaming rig, but I do care about noise. I'm less concerned about heat, though.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
As an SFF PC I imagine that it's inherently semi-portable.

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
No. In fact that's one of the key recommendations I'd like to get from people - what is the best gaming OS these days?

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately.
 
Hello. I'm coming back to PC gaming after a long hiatus (my last gaming PC that I built was a Pentium 3). I'm intrigued by the idea of a SFF gaming PC, and I particularly like the crowd funded NCASE enclosure, and would like to build something around that. However, there seem to be a lot more options these days, not just in terms of chipsets, CPUs and GPUs but also form-factors.

That's where you come in.

I'm willing to get pretty spendy on this (I'm a pretty successful programmer with no kids, so...). I'm pretty sure I want a 7970 GPU, if I can, and an SSD/platter setup. I'm particularly mystified about my options on motherboards and power supplies. Without further ado, here are my answers to those questions in the sticky thread:

1. What will you be doing with this PC?
Gaming. I'm a big RTS and FPS fan - and there are many games from the last 10 years that I've missed.
Check out Planetside 2. It's a free to play MMORPG that has a lot going for it. Also Rome 2 is coming soon as well so i would defiantly check that out.

2. Will you be overclocking/water cooling?
I'm open to the possibility. However, I value my game play experience over twiddling experience, so while I'm willing to fiddle a bit, I don't want an unstable system and I don't want to spend more time troubleshooting than I do gaming.
I'm planning on using the same enclosure and plan initially to use this kit. for the CPU and possibly the GPU in the future. We will know more when we can get the case in our hands and ensure no clearance issues. To run both CPU and gpu you will most likely need an additonal 120mm rad in the bottom.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
I'd like to keep it under $2k.
Shouldn't be a problem to stay within that budget or probably less.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
There's a Fry's nearby, but frankly, I hate them. Literally nothing I've ever purchased from them has ever worked properly, except tools and network cables.
You can get everything you need online but MC does have some great deals on CPU's for in store pickup.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget?
I'm starting from scratch. As I've mentioned, I really like the NCASE enclosure and from what I've read on tomshardware, I think the 7970 is the GPU I want. Other than that, I'm open.
I would wait until we get closer to the M1 shipping to decide a gpu. See whats out at the time, just keep in mind a blower style will be the best option for case thermals.

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
I have a 27" Cinema display with Thunderbird that I'd like to use if I can. But if not, no great loss.
I would consider getting a 1440p monitor, the Korean one's are popular right now and you could pick one up for around $300 and some can OC to 120hz.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s?
Apart from being mini-ITX, I don't think I have any specific requirements.
Check out the Asus Impact mobo.

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?
I'm content with whatever the 7970 outputs.
I'm probably going with a GTX 780 but again I'm going to wait and see what AMD has to offer with there upcoming release.

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.
The NCASE apparently supports a slot-loading DVD drive, and I'd like to have one.
This seems to fit the bill but I have never used a slot load drive so I'm open to suggestions on this as well.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?
I'd rather not do a lot of customization.
You shouldn't need to do any modding, but be warned if you do decide to WC this may be a challenge with the small size but defiantly possible.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this system?
It's a gaming rig, but I do care about noise. I'm less concerned about heat, though.
I would go with a closed loop solution (H220 if you can get one) or with the combo setup I linked above. You may able to cool your gpu with it as well but a another 120mm radiator in the bottom will be necessary. Necere confirmed this was possible with a 2x120mm rad on the side and a 1x120mm rad on the bottom.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
As an SFF PC I imagine that it's inherently semi-portable.
Yeah you should be fine with the size of the M1.

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
No. In fact that's one of the key recommendations I'd like to get from people - what is the best gaming OS these days?
I use Windows 7, some people like Windows 8 but I have no experience with that. Also, I think windows 8.1 is coming soon and should resolve some gripes people had with it.

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately.
M1 availability will be a issue.
Hope this helps and be sure to check out the Ncase M1 thread, it has a ton of usefull information. Just be sure to use the search because it's hundreds of pages long now.
Good Luck!
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This will be interesting considering the case won't be delivered until end of January. Personally I think its too early to buy too many components yet but each to their own. The only thing I have bought for mine is a 4770k cpu but holding out to see what comes out around delivery time. Should be new mobos and supposedly some new GPUs I hear. Also waiting to see what SS does or doesn't release when it comes to psu(consumer rumors/wants of a 500w+ unit but I'm seriously doubting it).

Right now for O/S I prefer W7 over W8 but they have 8.1 to fix some things so hard to say. I really don't care for W8 but that's just me. Personally, I'd prefer W7, jump over W8, and see what W9 will be like. Others may feel differently about that. I'm sure MS doesn't like it but I don't care what they think. :D
 
With a $2K budget, I would go with a gtx780. Yes, it's worth it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top