SFF for TV/Speaker setup

bagelnagel

Weaksauce
1. What will you be doing with this PC?

Gaming - mostly console emulation, want to be able to get up to PS2/Wii/Gamecube and others that came before them, HTPC/Playback, watching TV via CableCARD​

2. Will you be overclocking?

No​

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?

Sub $1,000, flexible, I think the video card will be most expensive, no?​

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?

Philadelphia/South Jersey, yes​

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

• Case
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Video Card
  • HD
  • Power Supply
  • All-in-one cooling (preferred)

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.

Not reusing parts​

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.

Would like USB 3.0, unsure if other features are going to be *required* for a PC that will be used for TV​

8. What resolution output do you need? 1080p, 720p, DVD quality, etc for HTPC or list Vertical/horizontal resolution for non-HTPC SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?

1080p for TV​

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

I would like to have this system fit into a particular space, don't need optical drive. I have 7.5" of clearance between the top and middle shelf and 8.25" of clearance between the middle and bottom shelf of this TV stand.​

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?

Not very comfortable, no access to heavy workshop.​

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care

I'd like to find the sweet spot between loud/quiet while also taking into account cooling/thermal needs. If this is going to be a smaller form, then more heat, no?​

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?

None​

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards

Win7 64 bit​

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?

Within the next 2 months​

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently started to assemble a little HT - got ARX A1B speakers, Vizio 50" TV, and a Yamaha RX-V473 receiver. I figured the next logical step would be to get a HTPC. I'm only used to building desktop/tower types, not something in a smaller form factor. So I'm turning to the big [H] for suggestions and advice.

The main purpose/usage of the potential HTPC would be for emulating consoles - want to get all the oldies and goldies, as well as PS2 and Wii (through Dolphin, I assume). I'm sure I could do that streaming from my desktop, but I want to be able to use it if someone wants to fire up a game of Battletoads or Xenogears. I'd like to have the option of throwing in a CableCARD at some point if possible. I don't necessarily need to have a media library setup (several HD's) as I have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu plus (family logins are great).

What do you think? What should be on my shopping list (to be completed at Amazon, obviously, if possible)?

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

I would like to have this system fit into a particular space, don't need optical drive. I have 7.5" of clearance between the top and middle shelf and 8.25" of clearance between the middle and bottom shelf of this TV stand.​

Since you have a specific space, I'd say look for a case first. I recommend the HTPC style cases that are similarly shaped to a home theater AV receiver. For instance, look up the Silverstone Grandia GD04, GD05 and GD06 cases. I think the GD04 and GD05 are reasonably inexpensive. An alternative is the Lian Li PC-C50B, which is pricier. The more costly cases hold more HDDs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
After looking into reviews for cases, and thinking about what I'll need in terms of graphic card (I want to do PS2/Wii emulation and maybe some graphic upgrade like resolution, smoothing, etc) I don't mind having the PC next to the stand, not in it. With that in mind, that opens up choices for cases. I think I've rounded it down to:

-BitFenix Prodigy
-FT03
-Cubitek Mini-ICE
-Cooler Master Elite 120
-Cubitek Mini Cube

That's the cases. I'm not overclocking, but will probably go with quad core for future proofing. The only other real big question is, which discrete card should I get? I assume GTX 660/670 is in play, and the AMD equivalent. I'd like to get an all-in-one cooling unit, given the space afforded.

Thoughts/opinions/criticisms?

Thanks!

Could you take some measurements on that TV stand and see exactly how much space you are working with? Will help us find a case that can fit.

The point of an HTPC case is to fit in with other equipment (AV receiver, etc). If you're just going to stick a computer next to it, then why limit yourself to mini ITX? The cases I've listed can take a graphics card, so that isn't a limitation.

Here are the breakdowns:

The TV and stand are in an alcove, measuring 63.5" wide and 26" deep. The stand itself has 2 shelves. I guess the description of the stand is incorrect, the middle shelve measures at 44.75" (roughly) wide and 19" deep, and 9" high. The bottom shelve measures is very similar, only that it is 46" wide and maybe (maybe) 9.5" high, same depth.

For Zap, I went digging in the forums here and saw that people mentioned that building out HTPC (receiver style) cases are harder than mini ITX (tower) cases. Since I have room on either side of the stand, I figured I could put a case on the side and have the best of both worlds (size and performance power). I didn't want a mothership of a case, like a 800D, but something like the ones I mentioned would fit in with the other equipment. I may be completely incorrect, so call me out as needed. Also, I figured that the case being out of the stand would give it better cooling, not as inclosed on one of the shelves. I like the GD06 and the Lian Li of the ones you mentioned, Zap.

Bring on the feedback, thanks!

Last edited:
If you want to emulate games, you will need to invest in a great CPU, not so much GPU. I'd suggest a Core i7 because of hyperthreading and a GPU like the 7770 maybe.

I owned the Silverstone GD06, I liked it a lot. Since you don't need/want an ODD, you will be able to use a larger CPU cooler. You can use a micro ATX board so you will have more motherboard options. Some photos here: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/yUF

Also, check out the Fractal Node 304, it's mITX but that may be something you are interested in.

Last edited:
For Zap, I went digging in the forums here and saw that people mentioned that building out HTPC (receiver style) cases are harder than mini ITX (tower) cases... I may be completely incorrect, so call me out as needed.

Here's your call-out. :p

I think some people just have a difficult time wrapping their minds around anything that isn't like what they are accustomed to. There are plenty of people who also say that any mini ITX system (and I've even heard it about micro ATX) are "difficult" to build.

Now, it is true that some cases ARE a bit more "difficult" in that they aren't super roomy like big towers where you can just slap parts in. I figure that it is part of the "skill" and "art" involved in building a truly unique computer.

Side story: I was once at a big LAN party that had a case mod contest. The judges were the hosts. I entered the contest and they almost didn't stop moving as they passed my entry (mATX LAN rig with some custom aluminum work, extra rivets, custom side window, custom fan ducting). The winner was a big tower case like those old Chenming/Antec beasts. It had a "red" theme with off-the-shelf red LED fans and red rounded IDE cables (BITD).

To me, ^^^ those are the types of people who find smaller cases "difficult" to work with. ;)

Maybe thereddog can give some tips on the GD06. I can on the Lian Li PC-C50B since I use one as my main HTPC and have had multiple motherboards in it. What makes it potentially tricky to work with are all the drive bays. Such a small case, yet it can hold three 3½" drives, three 2½" drives and one 5¼" external drive. One of the drive bays gets really close to the CPU area as well as the graphics card so you have to use 90° connectors if you have a big card in the first slot, plus may not be able to use a big cooler. I used to use a Scythe Mini Ninja until new motherboard moved CPU socket closer to the drive bays. On the PSU side, you have to get parts installed in order of PSU, ODD (installed in cage, cables connected, then lowered into place) and then the drive bay over the PSU (installed in cage, cables connected, lower in place). As with other smaller Lian Li cases, it has a ton of little screws to attach all the parts.

The thing I like the least about the case is that it has an odd assortment of USB connectors. Front has three USB 3.0 ports connected to plugs that they intend you to route out the back and plug into external ports. Why?!?!? USB 3.0 headers were pretty much available from day 1. My Lian Li PC-9FIR is the same way (with 2 ports instead of 3). Silly Lian Li.

Back