SFF Case that uses Normal ATX size psu

siuko

n00b
Hi Everyone!! (My first post on the Big H forums - even though I've been reading the website for years!!) :D

Are there any available SFF or close to SFF size cases around that can accommodate a standard ATX size psu in them.

This is mainly due to me being overly paraniod that I must have a good psu to help stabilise the system and there are some exceptionally good ATX size psu's about. Rather than having to gamble that the psu's supplied are good enough.

Using a normal size PSU somewhat defeats the purpose of a SFF, since the case would have to be significantly larger.

Perhaps not,

If you increase the length of the SFF case then you could fit a normal ATX sized PSU in. It'd be noisey and hot and somewhat overpowered in a SFF environment.

Cool idea though... could reduce the cost of SFF cases and also increase your system building options.

Andy

if you are that paranoid, just run an external PSU unit, therefore you get the power you need, and take out a contributing heat block from inside the SFF.

if your worried about transporting the SFF, just make a bracket it to attach it to the top?

ive ran 2500+ @ 2.5ghz athlon, 5900nu @ 5950 speeds, 512ddr @ 227fsb, and two hard drives, with my stock 200w psu in the Shuttle SN45G , i know it worked for the 12hr lan i had here recently

shuttle does offer a 250w PSU that works a little better with the more power hungry card (9800pro AIW, x800)

or you could go down the micro ATX route, the Antec Aria comes with a stock 300w PSU, and the specs were pretty good for a mATX PSU

you could always mod the case to allow the PSU to stick out the sides too...it'd look goofy, but you might be able to pull it off.. ;)

Hey thanks everyone for the quick replys!! :)

By the sounds of it I either should stop being so paranoid and go for a normal SFF or try and mod one myself...

Its just all my self built pc's and the ones for work.. I've always gone down the route of 'Give it more than it requires and its one less thing to worry about going wrong' and upto now its worked well for me.

I'll have a think about it and see whats best.... :D

an external psu would be a nice move in the feauture, or maybe make it like a L shaped brick where the psu sits on top and put a handle on that. maybe that would be a cool design... almost like a boot laying on its back with the foot on the air. that way people could still have the little design but stable power.

speaking of which, with 200-240w psu does anyone have problems with...
1. hd
1. cd burner
1. dvd drive
1. 8x agp video card lets say geforce 5600
1. amd 64 bit or any high end cpu
1. 1gig of ram
1. external devices such as hd

do you think it would be a be a huge problem with power?

yea, you will be fine with a shuttle. I have one ith the 250 watt silent x psu, and it runs fine. i have a dvd burner, floppy, 160 gig drive, amd 2800+ barton, sapphire 9800 pro, and 512mb ddr400. this system is on 24/7 and i have almost no problems with it.

Back