sabregen
Fully [H]
- Joined
- Jun 6, 2005
- Messages
- 19,501
I am in the process of rebuilding, after selling off my gaming rig to buy a house. I plan on trying a mATX build, in a SFF case. I have always been a full tower kind of guy, and recently experimented with water for the first time (after always being an air cooled/TEC guy). So, I'm here asking questions to try some new things.
My fiance's rig is in an Ultra MicroFly case, windowed...UV tubes, Zalman 7700Cu Fatal1ty, PSU with LEDs, window appliques...the whole shit. Very pretty, and she loves the way it looks. She's had that setup for about a year now and I'm starting to like the way it looks aas well. Keep in mind, I am coming from a Thermaltake Armor Extreme with a WC loop, tons of UV/LED fans, lights, etc. So yes, my thinking needs a severe gear change to get everything that I need to fit and keep me happy.
So, without further delay, here's the list of what I am looking for, fully realizing that it is unlikely that if something does fit all of these needs that I will like the way it looks/functions (disassembly, screwless design, cage arrangements, etc). Be that as it may, please advise me on what is likely, and what is a pipe dream. Keep in mind, I am no stranger to heavy modification to suit my needs.
- mATX cube, or HTPC case
- Windowed, or at least, easily windowed with a dremel
- can accomodate full ATX PSU, including longer/heavier models (such as Antec 1kW, Tagan 1kW, or the like) modular or not without clearance issues from front to back
- can fit at least an 8800GTS/GT (when released) or 2900 series card without compromising drive cages
- can fit a swiftech microres internally, preferrably on the side of a drive cage
- can accomodate placement (internally) of a DDC2 series pump, with Alphacool acrylic or Petras top
- 2x 5.25" front bays
- 1x 3.5" front bay
- 3x internal 3.5" drive cage
- under $200...preferably under $100...or free (even better)
- not entirely constructed of aluminum (due to weight of components, possibility of heavy modification that may invlove removing support brackets...aluminum may not hold up)
Let me know what you think. I'd prefer the case to be a cube, even if it is a large cube that would be fine. The HTPC cases aren't terribly appealing to me, but I had to acknowledge that I may have to go that route to fit the components in there. Here's the list of items to be installed (eventually):
e4300 (currently), Q6600 (or other quad, eventually)
Swiftech Apogee GTX
Swiftech MicroRes
x1900XTX (currently), 8800GT when released
mATX board (likely a GS-g33m-ds2r)
2x Raptors in RAID0
500GB media drive
dual DVD burners
DDC-2 w/petras or alpha top
1/2" ID tubing
2x 12" CCFL lights
UV fans (whatever size required...or can be shoehorned with a dremel)
X-Fi soundcard
Enermax 470w PSU (non-modular...currently), 1kW modular (eventually)
Radiator will have to be external. I might even chop a mid-tower case, sand and spray to match color of the cube. Possbility of a dual-cube config, 1 cube = actual machine, other to be a chopped case, also windowed, to house the pump, rads, res, etc. Dremel work, filing, sanding, painting don't scare me if I can't get it all packed into a SFF cube case.
My fiance's rig is in an Ultra MicroFly case, windowed...UV tubes, Zalman 7700Cu Fatal1ty, PSU with LEDs, window appliques...the whole shit. Very pretty, and she loves the way it looks. She's had that setup for about a year now and I'm starting to like the way it looks aas well. Keep in mind, I am coming from a Thermaltake Armor Extreme with a WC loop, tons of UV/LED fans, lights, etc. So yes, my thinking needs a severe gear change to get everything that I need to fit and keep me happy.
So, without further delay, here's the list of what I am looking for, fully realizing that it is unlikely that if something does fit all of these needs that I will like the way it looks/functions (disassembly, screwless design, cage arrangements, etc). Be that as it may, please advise me on what is likely, and what is a pipe dream. Keep in mind, I am no stranger to heavy modification to suit my needs.
- mATX cube, or HTPC case
- Windowed, or at least, easily windowed with a dremel
- can accomodate full ATX PSU, including longer/heavier models (such as Antec 1kW, Tagan 1kW, or the like) modular or not without clearance issues from front to back
- can fit at least an 8800GTS/GT (when released) or 2900 series card without compromising drive cages
- can fit a swiftech microres internally, preferrably on the side of a drive cage
- can accomodate placement (internally) of a DDC2 series pump, with Alphacool acrylic or Petras top
- 2x 5.25" front bays
- 1x 3.5" front bay
- 3x internal 3.5" drive cage
- under $200...preferably under $100...or free (even better)
- not entirely constructed of aluminum (due to weight of components, possibility of heavy modification that may invlove removing support brackets...aluminum may not hold up)
Let me know what you think. I'd prefer the case to be a cube, even if it is a large cube that would be fine. The HTPC cases aren't terribly appealing to me, but I had to acknowledge that I may have to go that route to fit the components in there. Here's the list of items to be installed (eventually):
e4300 (currently), Q6600 (or other quad, eventually)
Swiftech Apogee GTX
Swiftech MicroRes
x1900XTX (currently), 8800GT when released
mATX board (likely a GS-g33m-ds2r)
2x Raptors in RAID0
500GB media drive
dual DVD burners
DDC-2 w/petras or alpha top
1/2" ID tubing
2x 12" CCFL lights
UV fans (whatever size required...or can be shoehorned with a dremel)
X-Fi soundcard
Enermax 470w PSU (non-modular...currently), 1kW modular (eventually)
Radiator will have to be external. I might even chop a mid-tower case, sand and spray to match color of the cube. Possbility of a dual-cube config, 1 cube = actual machine, other to be a chopped case, also windowed, to house the pump, rads, res, etc. Dremel work, filing, sanding, painting don't scare me if I can't get it all packed into a SFF cube case.