SFF Build vs Alienware R2

wrxdrunkie

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I currently game @ 4K with my 980ti and X5650 setup with great results. My X5650 is OC to 4ghz and has been a great upgrade.

Lately though I have the upgrade itch to step up to a mini ITX build. I currently have a Storm Scout case that was great for many years but even though it has a handle it can be a lot to take to LAN parties. So I started researching cases that are easier to carry around.

If I change cases I need a new MB which takes me down the path of upgrading my whole system. Will need a bigger SSD because the new cases I am looking at are so small.

So my build is looing something like:

Silverstone ML08 or RVZ02 $80
Gigabyte G1 Gaming MB $155
1tb SSD $200
CPU Cooler $50
Power Supply $75
i7-6700K $300
32gb DDR4 $150

So the build is looking like right around $1,000

OR I was thinking of getting an Alienware Alpha R2 (one that includes the gtx 960) with Alienware Graphics Amplifier. Whenever I want to go to a LAN I can just unhook the Alienware from the graphics amp and use it as a much more portable system. It will be easier to carry around. Plus when I go to LANs I am not taking a 4k monitor around. So I usually wouldn't be taking advantage of the 4k graphics horsepower the 980ti in my ML08 case would offer me.

However the Graphics amplifier could become a bigger bottleneck down the road.... Might be shooting myself in the foot when it comes to upgradeability. I plan on getting the 1080ti whenever it comes out.

The Alienware Build would look something like

i7-6700T
16gb DDR4 RAM
1tb 7200RPM Drive (plan on replacing with SSD)
Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Total: $1138 before tax

Total with Tax: $1232

Thoughts?!?

Last edited:
Go for the sff. Future expendability is key and that's difficult with prebuilt like the alpha. Just my two cents.

If you can afford it, go for the NCASE M1, as it is made of aluminum and the form factor is perfect for backpack use. The RVZ02/ML08 are a lil' on the heavy side, and quite wide. If you want to get a console type case, get the NODE 202 instead.

If you can afford it, go for the NCASE M1, as it is made of aluminum and the form factor is perfect for backpack use. The RVZ02/ML08 are a lil' on the heavy side, and quite wide. If you want to get a console type case, get the NODE 202 instead.

The Sentry case is actually my favorite but who knows when that thing will ship. If it was available now my decision would be made haha.

The node is nice but I was reading that the cooling is worse than the ML08 which I thought was dumb considering it has more fans.

Ideally I'd like a case that can't hold a 3.5 inches drive, optical drive, or water cooling. Not because I don't like those things but just because I think it's a waste of space for the size SFF I am going for.

I haven't seen the NCASE m1 yet. Very nice but not "console like" enough for me.

Bump:

Opinions on performance of a i7-6700T vs my x5650 @4.0ghz?

Wondering if going from my X5650 @4.0ghz and 980ti to Alpha with i7-6700t and 980ti via graphics amplifier would be a downgrade.

Thinking the Alpha and Amplifier might be the way to go if the CPU wont bottleneck me in the future. Also concerned about the amplifier being a bottleneck since it is only pcie x4 instead of x16 but I have read that the amplifier can utilize like 95% of the power from the GPU. Might be worth it if I gain more than that by going i7-6700t and DDR4.

On another note, think an i7-6700k overclocked with 980ti in the Sentry case or Node 202 is a pipe dream? Noticed a lot of the low profile coolers advise against OC and use with cpu's > 65w TDP

Last edited:
Bump:

Opinions on performance of a i7-6700T vs my x5650 @4.0ghz?

Wondering if going from my X5650 @4.0ghz and 980ti to Alpha with i7-6700t and 980ti via graphics amplifier would be a downgrade.

Thinking the Alpha and Amplifier might be the way to go if the CPU wont bottleneck me in the future. Also concerned about the amplifier being a bottleneck since it is only pcie x4 instead of x16 but I have read that the amplifier can utilize like 95% of the power from the GPU. Might be worth it if I gain more than that by going i7-6700t and DDR4.

On another note, think an i7-6700k overclocked with 980ti in the Sentry case or Node 202 is a pipe dream? Noticed a lot of the low profile coolers advise against OC and use with cpu's > 65w TDP
There wont be much of a difference between those processors for gaming. You'll only really notice the loss of the extra cores in professional uses like CAD modeling/rendering. Also Asus has done testing with tb3 docks which are also pcie x4 and said it doesn't bottleneck the gpu. That being said having a graphics amplifier defeats the purpose of a compact alpha steam box.

As for overclocking a 6700k processor with a low profile cooler, not gonna happen, not even with the best of them. If you aren't doing anything other than gaming than get a node 202 and go with a 6700 non k and whatever gpu you want. If you need something more powerful as a gaming rig/workstation that still looks good in the living room than an Ncase with watercooling is your only bet (I have one on the top of my component/game console rack and it looks fantastic)

There wont be much of a difference between those processors for gaming. You'll only really notice the loss of the extra cores in professional uses like CAD modeling/rendering. Also Asus has done testing with tb3 docks which are also pcie x4 and said it doesn't bottleneck the gpu. That being said having a graphics amplifier defeats the purpose of a compact alpha steam box.

As for overclocking a 6700k processor with a low profile cooler, not gonna happen, not even with the best of them. If you aren't doing anything other than gaming than get a node 202 and go with a 6700 non k and whatever gpu you want. If you need something more powerful as a gaming rig/workstation that still looks good in the living room than an Ncase with watercooling is your only bet (I have one on the top of my component/game console rack and it looks fantastic)

Thanks for the reply! The graphics amplifier would be used in conjunction with my Alpha mostly at home on my 4k TV. The "coolness" of the amplifier and alpha setup is that when I do want to go to a lan or travel I have a very capable box with a gtx 960 in it ready to go. I would leave the amplifier and throw the alpha in my bag (much like a laptop). I have also been thinking of a laptop but the idea that no laptop out right now will beat the graphics I would have in the 960 version of the alpha puts me off. I also feel like the new laptop GPUs are right around the corner...

I will be using this box almost exclusively for gaming and web browsing.

Heck if all I care about is gaming would I even benefit from an OC? I noticed during gaming today my CPU usage barely hits 50% while GPU usage is pegged at 99% lol

Thanks for the reply! The graphics amplifier would be used in conjunction with my Alpha mostly at home on my 4k TV. The "coolness" of the amplifier and alpha setup is that when I do want to go to a lan or travel I have a very capable box with a gtx 960 in it ready to go. I would leave the amplifier and throw the alpha in my bag (much like a laptop). I have also been thinking of a laptop but the idea that no laptop out right now will beat the graphics I would have in the 960 version of the alpha puts me off. I also feel like the new laptop GPUs are right around the corner...

I will be using this box almost exclusively for gaming and web browsing.

Heck if all I care about is gaming would I even benefit from an OC? I noticed during gaming today my CPU usage barely hits 50% while GPU usage is pegged at 99% lol
If all you're doing with it is gaming you'll notice little difference, maybe 2-3 fps. Really not a loss there so going with a 6700t in the alpha or 6700 in the node 202 or Raven case would be good options for a new sff system.

Also keep in mind that the footprint of the graphics amplifier is bigger than the Ncase itself, it's wider and deeper but only slightly shorter in height. I'd recommend going with the node 202 if you really have your heart set on a console form factor. I really love the alpha and if they put in a 1080 gpu in it like how desktop 980's were put into laptops I would totally get one but I'm not a fan of the cheaply made graphics amplifier and the alpha has a pretty underpowered gpu if it's used standalone.

Back