SFF build - thoughts?

unixadm

Gawd
Since summer is here I'm wanting to build a secondary system to run my normal apps and games on. My thoughts are that I'll put the system in my signature back to stock for cooler operations and move the 8800GTX to the SFF system. I have ac ATI X600 PCI-E video card I can put in my desktop system that will put off much less heat than the 8800GTX. The SFF will not run all the time, just when I feel like gaming or I need to have two systems for whatever reason. My last SFF was a Shuttle SN25P which ran great for the year I had it. I sold it on this forum last year.

Anyhow, here's what I'm looking at building:

1. Silverstone Sugo SG01-BW Black Windowed Case
2. Silverstone SST-ST50EF-Plus SC Power Supply
3. Silverstone SST-NT06 HSF
4. Silverstone SST-FN81 80mm Fans (x3)
5. Silverstone SST-FP51-B 5.25 -> 3.5 Bay Converter for media card reader
6. Silverstone SST-FX121 Cross Flow Fan (not sure if it will fit with NT06)
7. EVGA 8800GTX PCI-E Video Card (on hand) (won't fit, disregard this part of the build)
8. Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R Motherboard
9. 2 x 1gb Corsair XMS2 PRO Memory (on hand)
10. 2 x 320gb Seagate 7200.10 Hard Drives (on hand)
11. Intel Allendale E4300 Processor
12. 18x Samsung SATA DVD-RW

I was going to use the Abit Fata1ty board which I wasn't thrilled with, but this new Gigabyte board seems more promising. So I'm willing to wait until early June to buy the processor and motherboard. I'll probably buy the processor from Amazon.com since I have a $50 promotional coupon for buying a drill press a few months ago. I may buy a Conroe - not sure yet. The E4300 is dirt cheap and I figure it will easily OC to 2.4ghz.

I'm planning on buying the Silverstone parts from Sundial Micro and most of the other stuff will come from Newegg, Mwave, or Ewiz.

The Cross flow fan will not fit behind the NT06

If you were a big fan of the Shuttle SN25P, you might like the SD39P2 since you will end up having to mod that SG01 to fit an 8800GTX :D

Since summer is here I'm wanting to build a secondary system to run my normal apps and games on. My thoughts are that I'll put the system in my signature back to stock for cooler operations and move the 8800GTX to the SFF system. I have ac ATI X600 PCI-E video card I can put in my desktop system that will put off much less heat than the 8800GTX. The SFF will not run all the time, just when I feel like gaming or I need to have two systems for whatever reason. My last SFF was a Shuttle SN25P which ran great for the year I had it. I sold it on this forum last year.

Anyhow, here's what I'm looking at building:

1. Silverstone Sugo SG01-BW Black Windowed Case
2. Silverstone SST-ST50EF-Plus SC Power Supply
3. Silverstone SST-NT06 HSF
4. Silverstone SST-FN81 80mm Fans (x3)
5. Silverstone SST-FP51-B 5.25 -> 3.5 Bay Converter for media card reader
6. Silverstone SST-FX121 Cross Flow Fan (not sure if it will fit with NT06)
7. EVGA 8800GTX PCI-E Video Card (on hand)
8. Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R Motherboard
9. 2 x 1gb Corsair XMS2 PRO Memory (on hand)
10. 2 x 320gb Seagate 7200.10 Hard Drives (on hand)
11. Intel Allendale E4300 Processor
12. 18x Samsung SATA DVD-RW

I was going to use the Abit Fata1ty board which I wasn't thrilled with, but this new Gigabyte board seems more promising. So I'm willing to wait until early June to buy the processor and motherboard. I'll probably buy the processor from Amazon.com since I have a $50 promotional coupon for buying a drill press a few months ago. I may buy a Conroe - not sure yet. The E4300 is dirt cheap and I figure it will easily OC to 2.4ghz.

I'm planning on buying the Silverstone parts from Sundial Micro and most of the other stuff will come from Newegg, Mwave, or Ewiz.

You know what.. that's a big 'duh' on my part. I have a Silverstone TJ-09 and the 8800GTX fits in there without any issues. I'm spoiled with this case and I totally forgot how big that card really is. Man.. you turn 30 and your mind starts going to shit, cause that right there wsa a n00bie mistake.

Thanks for smacking me upside the head cause I needed it. I wouldn't say I was a big fan of Shuttle, but the system worked good and never failed me. I did not like the lack of hard drive cooling or the limited expansion capabilities of the Shuttle. So on this SFF, I was looking to use more standardized parts.

Again, thanks for the info. I figured the cross flow fan would not fit.

looks great, just try to get a 8800gts, sell the gtx and buy two 320mb gts, one for sff and one for ur other comp

If you like your TJ09 - Definitely Check out the Silverstone SG03 SFF Case - it should be out next month
You can still use the NT06 setup in teh SG03 as in the SG01

Wait to you hit 40 - LOL :D

You know what.. that's a big 'duh' on my part. I have a Silverstone TJ-09 and the 8800GTX fits in there without any issues. I'm spoiled with this case and I totally forgot how big that card really is. Man.. you turn 30 and your mind starts going to shit, cause that right there wsa a n00bie mistake.

Thanks for smacking me upside the head cause I needed it. I wouldn't say I was a big fan of Shuttle, but the system worked good and never failed me. I did not like the lack of hard drive cooling or the limited expansion capabilities of the Shuttle. So on this SFF, I was looking to use more standardized parts.

Again, thanks for the info. I figured the cross flow fan would not fit.

Back