SFF build: E3-1230 v3 or i5-4670k?

omega-x

2[H]4U
Putting together an upgrade from an AMD APU.

If I overclock the K at all I won't be pushing it past 4.0 (if that) unless it can go much further on stock air.

Kind of figure the HT of the xeon will help more, but the only use for this is gaming (paired with a 290x), so it may be a complete wash between the two.

Not in a rush to wait for skylake either. the next upgrade after would be DDR4 or some other major improvement.

I'd just stick with a Z97 + i5 build for a pure gaming system. If you do anything that could show meaningful advantages from more cache and/or HT, then go with the E3.

The only time HT would help me is with vmware viewer and all I ever run are very low-end use cases like Kali linux and a couple of lab VM's (metasploitable, vulnerable web app labs, etc. They don't require anything in the way of actual compute)

Only reason I was looking at the Xeon was "similar price..maybe why not?". Plus 8 threads should future proof against game ports from the 8C/8T consoles.

You're probably not going to gain much futureproofing since console ports will be tailored for 4C/4T for quite some time since 4C/8T in gaming PC's isn't the majority, and game devs know this. When the time comes for 4C/8T CPUs to be more of a necessity for ports, whatever you buy now will likely be long in the tooth and you'll need to upgrade again.

Yeah fair point.

ended up biting on a 4690k instead of the 4670k because it was cheaper..

Nice grab!

You upgrading your 860K rig? If so, your mind will be blown coming from that and letting your 290X breathe and really shine. \m/

Yeah. holding back the 290x is mainly why, too.

The 860k is fantastic though, for what it is.

Yep...I have nothing against the FM2+ processors. Great all-around package with stout IGPs. My next HTPC upgrade be AMDs next gen APU.

You'd get away even on old used trinity chips for HTPC but for that sort of thing I'd recommend carrizo-L over carrizo unless you need medium-gaming performance.

I forget if they're going native-4k decode or not but unless you need *that* there's nothing that a kabini/beema APU can't do at the low end.

I considered that when I built my HTPC last year, but current IGP is just too weak for playing the games my kids and I do at 1080p. I'm hoping the next gen APU really gets a big boost in that department.

Yeah once you get into 1080p modern gaming the APU's lose ground fast. Current rumor is Carrizo is a 2x boost of GPU over Kaveri, but take it with a grain of salt.

It'd be nice to have one desktop chip that's on par with the consoles though.

I hear ya on that.

...And I'm hoping that exact rumor rings true come release. Would love to have that kind of graphics performance without the added power draw and heat of a discrete GPU.

Back