SFF Build advice

mejobloggs

Weaksauce
Hi guys, would love your help with this

1. What will you be doing with this PC?
Battlefield 3 (medium graphics is ok), Programming / Visual Studio

2. What's your budget?
I want to aim for under £600 including tax/shipping, budget flexible since that may be unrealistic (?), but cost is important. Want to look at second hand parts to get good price/performance.

I'm new to UK so if someone can advise on how to buy non-dodgy or overclocked-to-death pc parts that would be awesome

3. Where do you live?
London near Paddington. New here so not sure what's around

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget?
What I'm aiming for: (please advise me of better options if some things I have picked aren't good)

Screen: None.
Silverstone TJ08B-E
Intel 2500k (wanting to OC to 4ghz, don't want extreme 4.5ghz+ sorta thing)
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Second hand ATI 5850
Second hand 1tb hdd, not sure what's good?
8gb low profile ram. This any good?
Decent CPU Cooler?
Around 650w PSU should give me room to upgrade gfx later? Will a normal size PSU fit TJ08?

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard?
Ok (ie, not rubbish) audio quality without needing soundcard

Need to be able to overclock Intel 2500k to 4ghz which is easily achievable I believe?

Does anyone have experience with the Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3? I saw some places saying you can't change CPU voltage, and some saying you can. Would be nice to have confirmation either way

7. What resolution output do you need?
1200p. Don't need multi monitor

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space?
No

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring?
I'm ok with building a pc, but not case modding etc. I don't have any tools yet... Screwdriver recommendations?

10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem?
Quiet is nice. Probably want to get a fairly quiet GPU as that's usually the thing that has bothered me in the past

11. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
Maybe moving between flats every few months. I'm more worried about how to safely transport an LCD though

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
I already have Win 7 64bit

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?
Couple of weeks

Last edited:
I have a feeling that once you see how easy it is to get to 4GHz you're gonna settle on something a little higher. Good luck with the build, let us know how it turns out.

Second hand 1tb??? no way, never ever go with a second hand hdd, unless you mean used HDD owned by yourself of course

Hm never had a problem buying used hdds before. Thought it seemed pretty safe. Just get them to run a health check

Hm never had a problem buying used hdds before. Thought it seemed pretty safe. Just get them to run a health check

never had problems buying them myself always make sure to check health and if it has warranty is big plus to me

Jen

Anyone know if the motherboard I choose will be ok? Haven't been able to find much info on it

Back