SFF build advice needed

Gopher1

n00b
1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).

Standard home pc stuff; web surfing, email, Word, Photoshop Elements, music storage and playback, light gaming which will only get heavier with a growing youth – it’s 80% Minecraft at this stage, and Excel.

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)

Hadn’t planned on overclocking and never have but would consider it. Will liquid cool if necessary.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?

Would like to stick close to $850 or under, some flexibility.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?

Live in Houston, TX – have a Micro Center and Fry’s, both a little drive but ok.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need (especially if you will need 3.5" hard drives or expansion cards as these may restrict case options).

Building from scratch. Need all except operating system, mouse, keyboard, and monitor:
Case, CPU, Mobo, Memory, GPU, Optical Drive, PSupply, haven’t decided to go with a SSD.

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.

Windows 7 Home Premium

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.

Wi-Fi, HDMI port, 4+ USB 3. Size of system is important but not cast in concrete. We need a small computer for desktop use.

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?

1980p, single monitor – will be getting a new one around 23”

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

No, doesn’t need to fit into a space. Yes, need an optical drive.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?

I can connect two wires with the proper instructions and plugs at each end! I have screwdrivers & Dremel but really don’t want to get into any major case modification. Simple & easy is better for me. Handy enough mechanically but lacking in tech knowledge.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care

Would like it to run cool and somewhat quiet. Need a mid-range gaming pc, not all-out rig at this time.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?

Doesn’t need to be mobile.

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards

Yes, have legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?

Immediately if not sooner.

Note: The Silverstone SG-05 is our first choice in a case because of size and we think it looks ok if we can fit a decent GPU and keep things cool and quiet enough. Need major help in picking parts. The Temjin TJ08-E is also a very nice looking case we would consider although it’s larger and possibly a little tricky to build in.

Here is a base list to get the ball rolling I'm sure others will have a lot of input! Good luck!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($50.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($188.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG BT30N Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Silverstone SG05 ($39.99)
Other: Slimline Sata to Sata Power adapter ($9.12)
Total: $844.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 13:26 EDT-0400

Liquid cooling for an i5 4460 is just..

You also forgot the case.

Otherwise it's not a bad build. I would swap for a cheaper R9 280 though.

Case options: SG13 over the SG05, RVZ01/RVZ02/FTZ01, FT03 mini, Elite 130.

Liquid cooling for an i5 4460 is just..

You also forgot the case.

Otherwise it's not a bad build. I would swap for a cheaper R9 280 though.

Case options: SG13 over the SG05, RVZ01/RVZ02/FTZ01, FT03 mini, Elite 130.

Nope the case is at the bottom listed under 'other' because PC Part Picker didn't have it.

And as for the AIO I find it's a lot quieter and it's more preference than anything, with the SG series though you either need to do AIO or a realllyy low profile cooler.

And I originally thought he'd be better off going with the SG13, but he says he wants an optical drive.

If you want to use an optical drive and an AIO cooler, you'll need to cut off the 2.5" lips in the drive cage.
You can still fit the SSD under the radiator or taped to the PSU though.

Wow, you priced that so close to target I can’t believe it. Thank you very much for the input.

Regarding the optical drive, we use that mainly for ripping CD’d to FLAC & burning stuff for other folks so I suppose I could use an external USB unit if necessary, it’s as much a matter of convenience and desk space as anything.

I swung by Micro Center today and found the Intel Core i5 4590S on sale for $170. Do you think I should jump on that vs. the 4460?

Would liquid cooling be required for this build? I suppose it would be quieter than a fan. I’ve never owned a computer liquid cooled – are they pretty dependable, i.e., don’t leak?

The video card looks nice and compact – that’s a good thing in this case.

In your opinion the SG-13 is the better of the two cases?

Sorry it took a while to reply. Just got home & fixing dinner. Will get on more later.

BTW, I've never used Parts Picker before. Can these items be ordered directly through them or would I need to go to each vendor for them?

Wow, you priced that so close to target I can’t believe it. Thank you very much for the input.

Regarding the optical drive, we use that mainly for ripping CD’d to FLAC & burning stuff for other folks so I suppose I could use an external USB unit if necessary, it’s as much a matter of convenience and desk space as anything.

I swung by Micro Center today and found the Intel Core i5 4590S on sale for $170. Do you think I should jump on that vs. the 4460?

Would liquid cooling be required for this build? I suppose it would be quieter than a fan. I’ve never owned a computer liquid cooled – are they pretty dependable, i.e., don’t leak?

The video card looks nice and compact – that’s a good thing in this case.

In your opinion the SG-13 is the better of the two cases?

Sorry it took a while to reply. Just got home & fixing dinner. Will get on more later.

4590S is good, dont bother with aoi, sg05 is awesome.

Yes, we (I) really like the look of the sg-05 and I would like to work with it. Being an inexperienced builder I’d rather stick with stuff that pretty much fits without any case cutting, etc. Just connecting the cables will be challenge enough for me.

A couple more questions:

1-Is it better to order the 450W version of the SG-05 or purchase the case and power supply separate?
2-If I go without the AIO would I be risking heat issues with just the stock fan?
3-Is there a location in the SG-05 for the SSD? I guess it’s time I entered the 21st century and include one.
4-The R9 280 is a bigger video card – will it fit this case and could I use it with the motherboard
Suggested by Jeremy1080?

I’ll try to get by Micro Center tomorrow for the CPU and hopefully decide on a final configuration and order the rest by this weekend.

Thank you again for all your input. I really need the guidance.

Yes, we (I) really like the look of the sg-05 and I would like to work with it. Being an inexperienced builder I’d rather stick with stuff that pretty much fits without any case cutting, etc. Just connecting the cables will be challenge enough for me.

A couple more questions:

1-Is it better to order the 450W version of the SG-05 or purchase the case and power supply separate?
2-If I go without the AIO would I be risking heat issues with just the stock fan?
3-Is there a location in the SG-05 for the SSD? I guess it’s time I entered the 21st century and include one.
4-The R9 280 is a bigger video card – will it fit this case and could I use it with the motherboard
Suggested by Jeremy1080?

I’ll try to get by Micro Center tomorrow for the CPU and hopefully decide on a final configuration and order the rest by this weekend.

Thank you again for all your input. I really need the guidance.

1 both versions of the 450w psu are good
2 no
3 yes
4 really dont know, i only use nvidia. any pcie card will fit in a pcie slot, its standard.

just to add, it will be a little challenging to assemble an ITX system in a SG05 but i believe you can do it, and the GTX 960 is a very good choice for this build

As long as it is possible without adding too many years to my life, and if I can tap the expertise of folks here should I run into problems, I'm game. Other than cable routing and working in tight spaces, any heads-up on major roadblocks?

Perhaps you've never seen the infamous SG05 thread here. There's more than enough info in there to help you out. Watch some videos on YouTube, look at some build guides and you should be fine.

ah yes, and the tiny screws used to fix the optical drive in place, that'll definitely shave a few days of your lifespan off :p

Also, if you're going to use an internal slim optical drive, get a Silverstone model. It comes with a right angle connector (CP10) which will save a few headaches. If you get another model, make sure to pick up one of these cables.

I have looked through the sg-05 thread where various magicians stuff more equipment and wires into this case than I could possibly dream of and that isn't what I'm shooting for here, plus I'm in a bit of a bind time wise which is why I've already ordered many of the parts.

Yes, I have a tiny screw driver. Is it tiny enough? I guess I'll find out soon enough. That I DID make note of whilst perusing the sg-05 thread.

I'm actually ok with mechanical stuff but like I said in my intro, moderate to severely lacking in tech knowledge and it's kinda hard to pick up when you're in a hurry. I'll get the sweaty palms when it comes time to connect the wires/cables.

Oh, I forgot to ask: I'd like a 1TB minimum HDD, preferably 2TB. Western Digital? Green, blue?

Oh, I forgot to ask: I'd like a 1TB minimum HDD, preferably 2TB. Western Digital? Green, blue?

you can use both an ssd and a mechanical drive on this case, the ssd that Jeremy1080 recommended on his post is quite good, wd black is fast but green is good if you only using to store stuff like movies etc

Yes, Jeremy1080 has provided the outline I needed to get going. VERY helpful. Many thanks.

Yes, Jeremy1080 has provided the outline I needed to get going. VERY helpful. Many thanks.

No problem at all! Trust me, I know the first build can be over whelming with choosing parts, so getting a boiler plate down so you can move on from there helps a ton.

Good luck with everything and I hope we get to see some build pictures!

for a 1TB drive you could even go with a 2.5" to save on space

1TB SSD or 1TB Laptop HDD? Because the former will double his budget, and the latter will be so slow compared to a conventional HDD (5,400 RPM vs 7,200 RPM). Although I'm unsure of space inside the SG05

Which one (or both) of these do I need? Is the adapter a two-ended one-piece plug or is it two plugs on a cable?

- Slimline Sata to Sata Power adapter ($9.12) – Jeremy

- Silverstone System Cables CP10 – medeyer

When I asked for a slimline sata to sata power adapter today at Micro Center they showed me a “Serial ATA Power & Data Cable.” On the package it says Data: 7 pin to 7 pin, 20”, and Power: 15 pin to 4 pin 6”. I’m guessing this is not what I need.

BTW, I purchased both the WD Black HDD and the i5 4590S at Micro Center today. Everything else is on order from the vendors listed in Jeremy1080’s initial post. Waiting.

Many thanks to all for getting me this far. This board is great!

For the 5.25" Slim Optical Drive, SATA 3 Gb/s, I’m guessing that all I need is #2 below, correct? It’s a cable vs. a solid plug with two sides, correct?

1. Slimline Sata to Sata Power adapter ($9.12) – Jeremy1080

2. Silverstone System Cables CP10 – medeyer

I asked for a Slimline sata to sata power adapter today at Micro Center and they showed me a package that said, “Serial ATA Power & Data Cable; Data: 7 pin to 7 pin 20”, and, Power: 15 pin to 4 pin 6”. I’m guessing that’s not what I need.

BYW, I purchased the WD Black HDD and the i5 4690S at Micro Center today. The remaining items are on order from the vendors in Jeremy1018’s parts list. Waiting . . .

Many thanks to all up to this point - your input was critical to getting my project started.

This board is awesome.

PC part picker only collects items and shows you prices at various stores (if you're still wondering).

You'll have to order from the stores themselves, but on PC part picker you can choose a single store to get more accurate pricing and do other things.

two examples:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Four more components arrived today in the little brown truck:

- Ballistix 8GB Kit
- ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
- Silverstone ST45SF-G V2.0
- EVGA GeForce GTX960

Expecting the case, optical drive, and optional cable to arrive any day.

Outside of the memory each component will require two connections/cables – one to the power supply and the other to the mother board, right?

A couple questions:

1. The SSD arrived with no cables. Will the power supply include a power cable to fit? Then I’ll also need a SATA cable to connect it to the motherboard, right?
2. The optical drive will also arrive without cables or software however I have already ordered the SATA to mini-SATA cable. Will the power supply provide a power cable?
3. Will the Silverstone SG-05 Lite include the tiny screws for the optical drive?
4. Also, will Windows 7 natively play blu-Ray or will I need something like VLC Player?
5. This computer may be used in a location with a direct Ethernet connection into the RJ45 jack or it may be used remotely via Wi-Fi. If direct connect I assume that I will not need to attach the included antennas on the motherboard?
6. Once Windows 7 Home Premium is installed on the SDD will it be a problem to later upgrade to Windows 10? Stupid question?

Many thanks.

jesus dude, you are seriously asking these questions? holy shit! :D

1 sata cables to connect all to motherboard, sata power connectors from power supply to power them all.
2 yes
3 yes, it includes screws for everything
4 if needed use vlc or shark advanced codecs http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html
5 no need for antennas if direct connect, you can even remove the wifi card from the motherboard if you fell like.
6 no!

Thanks for answering my questions, D4rkn3ss. You have been very helpful.

I've never even seen a SSD before it arrived via UPS today, seriously. That's why I'm here. I wouldn't be asking these questions if I just went over to the box store and threw some money at a salesman who knows even less than I do, if that's possible. Just trying to build something a little better. I'm excited . . . and just a little nervous over turning this entire project into a brick. Looking over the instruction books . . .

it will be fine, no worries, it wont turn into a brick :p, ask away anything you need to know :)

and you had to go straight for a SG05 build huh? thats pretty cool. just take your time, any doubt you ask, anything

Hehe, sorry to shock you with my questions but like I already posted, I’m new at this and the fact that you’re not doesn’t change that fact. I’m not afraid of screwing things together (woops, I haven’t installed a slim optical drive yet) but to be honest, cables intimidate the hell out of me and there are about a dozen, well 10 actually, in the HD box – mostly all different. I’ll just take my time and figure out where they go.

I decided on the SG-05 for a couple reasons:

1. Desk space – we’re severely limited there. In fact finding good work space for this build will be a challenge.

2. We (both my wife and I) like the simple, clean looks of the case. Lots of reviewers say it remains one of the best SFF cases in terms of layout, cooling, assembly, etc., and Silverstone seems to be well regarded as a case builder. I’ve been reading about Jeremy1080’s build and have to admit that Lian Li has some gorgeous cases, also very well regarded, but more than we require or wish to pay. For example, the PC-Q08 has six HDD bays @ $105. Trust me when I tell you that I’m envious of the computer savvy everyone has here.

3. While visiting a box store I pulled the side off a large $800 desktop and it was all air space inside and no video card. I thought I’d like to try to do better.

That’s about it – waiting for the rest of my stuff to arrive.

Have a great 4th weekend.

you'll be savvy too when you finish this :p, and is not really a concern the lack of hdd bays on the SG05 because 8TB drives are widely available these days. you also can hook up an external drive for doing backup once a month if you want to be safe.

Back