• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SFF Build Advice Needed - LGA 775

karazi

n00b
Joined
Oct 16, 2012
Messages
3
1. What will you be doing with this PC?
Web browsing, HTPC/Playback

2. What's your budget?
No budget

3. Where do you live?
Near Microcenter

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget?
Case
Motherboard
PSU
USB WiFi stick (if not built in mobo)

5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
E8400 (65w) or Q9450 (95w)
2x2gb DDR2
Scythe BIG Shuriken Rev A
3.5" 320GB WD Caviar HD

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard?
Ideally Mini-ITX motherboard to keep the case small - nothing fancy

7. What resolution output do you need?
1080p - single LCD TV (32")

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space?
Would like it as small as possible, around the size of a cable box - does not need to fit into a specific space

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have?
I can do some electrical/general handy work. Have screwdrivers/leatherman, drill, metal snips, soldering iron, but no Dremel - but could purchase if necessary

10. How important is the noise/silence of this system?
As silent as possible as it will be for watching media in a 12'x13' bedroom

11. How mobile does this system need to be?
No mobility required

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Have a few copies of XP, Vista, maybe 7 - 32/64 bit

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately

Ultimately I am re-using some old parts from previous LGA 775 builds and would like to fit them into as small of a case as possible so it doesn't take much footprint on/next to my bedroom dresser which my TV sits on. I am thinking of getting an Intel DQ45EK motherboard because it's cheap and has decent reviews. However, I would likely have to buy a new northbridge heat sink because the stock one is tall and will probably interfere with my Shuriken HSF. I realize that many mini-ITX cases do not fit 3.5" hard drives, but would love to know if there is one that does. If there are none, I may have to get a 2.5" HD to accommodate my desire for a small size case. I prefer the cable box shape (3.5" to 4" height - like Lian Li PC-Q12) as opposed to square (like Lian Li PC-Q18). Drawbacks of the Q12 are that the front USB ports require connection to the rear/external mobo cluster, it only fits 2.5" HDs, and there is no opening for a half-height PCIe card, which I may end up using in the future (I could cut a hole myself if I had a Dremel, but I don't). Otherwise the dimensions and look of it are ideal for me. Additionally, I do not need optical disk drive support. I like the look of the Antec ISK series as well but I hear they feel cheap, and only support 2.5" HDs as well. Advice is much appreciated!

Edit: Just found a nice looking case - Chenbro PC78338-250 but may prove too thin (3") for my 2.28" HSF when installed?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your reply! Looks like in my limited research you are correct that the X4500 chip struggles with 1080p, but with a fast enough processor it could potentially work. Other than 1080p it supposedly does well with high quality video.

How would one go about cutting down the chipset cooler? Dremel? Otherwise the links you provided could be useful for replacing it. Thanks again!

Didnt know there still was 775 mobos out there :)

Im not shure if that q45 chipsett can do 1080P ?
regarding the chipsett cooler i think you can just cut it, the scythe fan will cool it properly. or you can get one of the zalman coolers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118014&Tpk=ZM-NBF47

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=872908&CatId=498
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think the Zotac 9300 would be the best bet like you mention, as it has wifi built in, has superior IGP, and I would be able to use my Q9450 with it. Only concern is that it's not readily available to purchase. I see none on any shopping site, and only one current auction on ebay. Hope to find one soon, for a non-ridiculous price. Thanks for your advice!

Hmmm I'd try to find a used zotac 9300 itx, that's your best bet for HTPC duty, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GeFor...167404910?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a7abe736e

or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GeFor...168613530?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a7ad0e49a

Those have a builtin 9300 geforce chipset so you can take advantage of DXVA, Don't get 9300-K-E since that one uses DDR3.

Big shuriken does work fine with this board.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top