SFF (as small as possible) for servers

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
I'm looking for ideas on really small cases which will be for low-cost servers. They will use Micro-ATX motherboards and will be all integrated VGA, LAN, SATA etc. The only real requirements I have is that it's got at least a 200W power supply (preferably more) and that it can handle the Prescott P4's. They should also be fairly cheap.

http://www.directron.com/cs4117.html

This is an example of what I'm looking for recommendations on.

Just an FYI, but Prescott and "really small case" don't really work well together. I had the stock HSF on a 3.2 Prescott in an antec Aria case, and it sounded like a damn hair dryer trying to keep that thing cool, at idle. Depending on which Prescott you get, it'll dissipate around 84-104 watts of heat.
That Casetronics box only has 1 60mm fan for cooling, it looks like you might be able to squeeze an 80 in there, but I doubt it. The Aria has been pretty decent, after watercooling the Pressy, got room for 3 hd's, a 300 watt psu and decent case cooling. Not too much more than the Casetronics box, probably around $100 or so. I guess it mostly depends on whether you are looking for something more along the lines of the desktop design of the Casetronics or something more cube-like. Hope that helps.

I disagree. I carry a nice mini-case that includes a 300W sparkle PSU (I sell it for $49.95) and I have done several with 3.2E chips and the Zalman CNPS7000-CU and they'be been great!

I almost went with that zalman cooler, but it didn't look like it was gonna fit in the aria with their funky psu. I would like to know which case you're using with that zalman, as I'm considering another build fairly soon. Thanks.

I'll take a pic of the case today so you can get an idea of what it is. I have assembled many with the zalman cooler, so I know 100% that it fits.

I have an aria laying on the bench, but I hate it so much that I've never put any components in it -- I don't know if the zalman fits in there.

normal_100_0362.JPG

normal_100_0363.JPG

normal_100_0364.JPG

normal_100_0365.JPG

normal_100_0366.JPG

Back