• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SFF-8088 - LSI2008 Controller card suggestions?

styx0r

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
301
Hey storage experts,

I'm gearing up to create a new ZFS server, and I have most of my parts selected. I'm planning on creating an all-in-one Napp-it machine.

I'm avoiding purchasing a norco case because I don't anticipate needing 24 bays soon, and I'm already spending a significant amount of money on hardware (CPU, RAM, Mboard, HDDs) - so I want to use this 8-drive hot-swap enclosure I already have that uses 2 x SFF-8088 cables to connect to an ancient RocketRAID 2322.

My question is simple: Who makes an LSI2008 based controller card that has 2 x SFF-8088 external connections, so I can use my existing enclosure with 3tb drives and ZFS? It does not seem like supermicro makes one. Thoughts?

So far the least expensive controller that meets my needs is made by LSI, and its MSRP is over $400. Should I sell my 8 drive external enclosure and buy an internal expander for ~$150 and bite the bullet on the case?
 
Have you considered buying adapters for the cables?

There are many options for SAS 8087 - SAS 8088 that could help you out here.

Though, In the end, It is probably cheaper to get an internal card + expansion and then a single set of cables to go out to the external enclosure...
 
edit - that one wasn't external... not sure where i saw an external one. I'll edit again if i think of it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top