Sexualization In Games Is Declining

Sure - women own consoles. Mom bought it for her son! Study is talking about households.

That's what I was thinking. They asked a women if there was a console in the house, they said yes. Console is actually bought/used by the husband or something like that.

The reason that the numbers don't make sense to you is that you are reading them wrong.

They aren't saying that 42% of console owners are women. They are saying that 42% of women own a console. IE if you raided the home of 100 women, on average 42 of them would have a console.

You can't view it in a vacuum. Since the gender ratio in the US is 1:1 if 42% of women own consoles and 37% of men own consoles then that by definition means 53% of console owners are women.

50% of gamers are women, so your post means what?

This gets thrown around all the time but just ask around when you play a multiplayer game. Take your own anecdotal poll. The idea that 50% of gamers are women is completely false once you strip out casual web and mobile games. From my experience, 50% of counter-strike players are not women. 50% of COD players are not women. 50% of division players are not women, 50% of Witcher 3 players are not women, 50% of overwatch players are not women. MMO's you definitely get a higher number but I would be shocked if it's higher than 25-30%. Again, feel free to conduct your own unofficial surveys but if you play a game for 500 hours and barely ever run into a woman, chances are the ratio is NOT 50/50.

This gets thrown around all the time but just ask around when you play a multiplayer game. Take your own anecdotal poll. The idea that 50% of gamers are women is completely false once you strip out casual web and mobile games. From my experience, 50% of counter-strike players are not women. 50% of COD players are not women. 50% of division players are not women, 50% of Witcher 3 players are not women, 50% of overwatch players are not women. MMO's you definitely get a higher number but I would be shocked if it's higher than 25-30%. Again, feel free to conduct your own unofficial surveys but if you play a game for 500 hours and barely ever run into a woman, chances are the ratio is NOT 50/50.

Only multiplayer games qualify when considering whether a person who plays games is a gamer, mobile gaming is sneered at, and single-player games on any platform are not even to be mentioned. What are you, the stop_liking_what_i_don't_like.jpg kid?

Only multiplayer games qualify when considering whether a person who plays games is a gamer, mobile gaming is sneered at, and single-player games on any platform are not even to be mentioned. What are you, the stop_liking_what_i_don't_like.jpg kid?

I guess the question is: who do you want driving the industry, the portion of the population that plays slither.io or the portion of the population that plays Doom?

The reason that the numbers don't make sense to you is that you are reading them wrong.

They aren't saying that 42% of console owners are women. They are saying that 42% of women own a console. IE if you raided the home of 100 women, on average 42 of them would have a console.

100% of mothers with young children who have a console, "own" a console. Doesn't mean they play it.

100% of mothers with young children who have a console, "own" a console. Doesn't mean they play it.

Not relevant to my post. The person that I replied to didn't understand why the male/female numbers didn't add up to 100%, so I explained it to him. Your point, while likely correct (ish), has nothing to do with my post.

Not relevant to my post. The person that I replied to didn't understand why the male/female numbers didn't add up to 100%, so I explained it to him. Your point, while likely correct (ish), has nothing to do with my post.

i like turtles

Everything qualifies but multi-player is something you can personally use as a litmus test.

I'm for artistic freedom. I'm fine if the mainstream shifts away from that a bit, but nobody should try to stifle someone that wants to create something sexualized either. There's an audience for both. People just need to use their brains and decide what's right for them. Instead of complaining that there aren't enough games that cater to women, women should set out to create something that does, WITHOUT stepping on the things that don't. Or, if a bunch of like minded men and women somewhere in the middle want to create a game somewhere in the middle, then go for it. I like sexy women, but I like them in the correct contexts. I'm with those that prefer functional armor for the most part. Well, for a woman that needs armor. When it comes to a sorceress though, that's going to be wearing cloth anyway, why not make her a little sexy. :D Also, I think the majority of people still prefer to look at hot characters male or female (on both sides of the equation) rather than some frumped out six-piece chicken mcnobody. This is fantasy after all. They don't have to be totally glammed out, or completely out of proportion, but sexy is fine, and actually a good thing IMO. I generally like Street Fighter for fighting, but my friends and I (including women) occasionally like to sit down to a few rounds of DOA too. My lady-friends are intelligent, strong women, and they like the sexy characters too. So... there?

Back