Sex Offenders To Register E-Mail Addresses?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Lawmakers are proposing a law that would require sex offenders to register their e-mail and IM addresses to better protect children. This is genius! Everyone knows it’s impossible to register more than one e-mail address.

The legislation introduced in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives also would require the Justice Department to develop a system that would allow commercial social networking Web sites to check members' addresses against individuals listed in the National Sex Offender Registry.

Not only that, I know people who change email addresses every three months. This won't do sh!t. Besides: do they expect the kids to check the addresses of every person they talk to against some (probably decentralized, disorganized) list?

Forgot to add: this is YET ANOTHER example of people with no understanding of technology trying to govern its use.

Forgot to add: this is YET ANOTHER example of people with no understanding of technology trying to govern its use.

Well yeah, legislators are too busy attending daily voting sessions ;)

They have to feel like they're useful. "Hey, this law seems good. Let's feel good about ourselves by pushing this. Plus, can you see anything wrong with it? Me either!"

Even the ones who realize it is stupid have to vote for it if it comes up on the floor. Otherwise the next campaign they will get slammed for "voting to harm the childrreeeennnnnnn!"

Hopefully it gets shelved in committee.

Oh, I don't know. Think about the average age of your average congressman. Most of them, especially in the Senate, didn't grow up with computers. Most are not very internet literate...and they have other people set up their email addresses for them. Getting that changed, to them, is a pain. So it's not too hard to imagine why they might think a piece of legislation like this is a smart idea.

It more than likely won't make it out of committee. This is the real reason why lobby groups are around. To advise congressmen when they're about to make a stupid law. ISPs, content providers, and other internet groups will all have their lobbyists tell the poor tech dumb congress members how ill advised this is, and it will more than likely die before it ever hits the floor for vote.

Why not make it illegal for a sex offender to have an unregistered address, catch one with one and throw them in jail for a few years?

Kind of like taking mobsters down on tax evasion, but anything to get em off the streets.

...... This is genius! Everyone knows it’s impossible to register more than one e-mail address.

That made me LOL for some reason. I think its a step in the right direction but I think they need some real people to direct them to methods that would be more effective. Kind of like hacking, no matter what you do to prevent it, it will always happen on one level or another.

That made me LOL for some reason. I think its a step in the right direction but I think they need some real people to direct them to methods that would be more effective. Kind of like hacking, no matter what you do to prevent it, it will always happen on one level or another.

Yes...but you can say the same thing about any crime really, can't you? Why try to stop murder...no matter what you do to prevent it, it will always happen on one level or another?

Right?

I would think that the idea would be to set up some due dilligence to prevent what you can...and deal with the consequences of what you can't.

I have no idea how I clicked the smiley icon.

Makes you wonder about parents who are on Myspace trying to contact kids. You know it's possible.

"Dad?"
"Yes, honey?"
"What are yo--get off my Myspace page! Can't I have some privacy!?"
"Relax. It's not your page."

Why not make it illegal for a sex offender to have an unregistered address, catch one with one and throw them in jail for a few years?

Kind of like taking mobsters down on tax evasion, but anything to get em off the streets.

Bingo. I don't think the legislators (at least not all of them) are out of touch with the fact that it takes little effort to get an e-mail address. The idea would seem to be to make one more thing illegal for sex offenders so that police can drag them in, and if they're on parole easily violate them back to prison, during an investigation. The fact that such legislation would be popular with the "Think Of The Children" crowd is just a bonus.

Another example of this is the restriction against convicted sex offenders being around children. Everyone knows that you can't actually prevent child molesters from being near children without constant surveillance, which is impossible for both financial and constitutional reasons. BUT, if there's a problem those laws make it much easier to get an ex-convict off the streets.

The thing is they are forgetting what most people seem to forget... The sex offender registries, and designations are for all general sex offenses, not just offences against children, hence the majority of them have no interest in children, so just how broad can the get?

As it is, when a sex offender is paroled or on probation, it's pretty much a violation for them to do anything other than piss, shit and take a shower. The more somebody feels strangulated the greater the chance they will reoffend. So where will the line be drawn between demagoguery, feel good politics, and common sense?

What a douchey typical politician solution...

All I need is to switch to say earthlink and find that say my first name is actually available, so I register it.

What you don't know is some other guy with the same name got his earthlink cancelled for lack of payment due to being in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for child rape.

Not to mention what everyone else in this thread has said about just registering another, etc.

Well yeah, legislators are too busy attending daily voting sessions ;)

They have to feel like they're useful. "Hey, this law seems good. Let's feel good about ourselves by pushing this. Plus, can you see anything wrong with it? Me either!"
Or at least, they should be. Well, correction, they should be there for every single day, not just voting ;)
"But who will think of the children!"

Guess the TV show. Yellow's a clue.
Simpsons ;)

mob, mob, we all mob for mob

Middle-school humor and useless response noted.

Sex offenders should have their internet browsing monitored. Tracking their ever-changing email addresses won't catch anything. Not only would their browsing be tracked, but it could also be filtered. I'd rather block them from certain sites than catch them when they go to them.

Middle-school humor and useless response noted.

Sex offenders should have their internet browsing monitored. Tracking their ever-changing email addresses won't catch anything. Not only would their browsing be tracked, but it could also be filtered. I'd rather block them from certain sites than catch them when they go to them.

Then you wonder why people don't like you. :rolleyes:

Then you wonder why people don't like you. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure you're the only one here. Are you implying that your penultimate response in this thread beared any relevance?

I didn't think so. Had anyone else messed up italicizing a word, you never would've quoted it and tried to be funny.

Pretty sure you're the only one here. Are you implying that your penultimate response in this thread beared any relevance?

I didn't think so. Had anyone else messed up italicizing a word, you never would've quoted it and tried to be funny.

Your response originally had relevance? Oh wait I forgot, you only like to criticize people whenever you can by using words... in fact thats all you have... just words :rolleyes:

I would have said that to anyone, I thought it was "creative"

you only like to criticize people whenever you can by using words...
Everytime I respond to something, you have to quote and refute it. I see many of your posts and don't do anything because I'm more mature than that; I don't feel the need to frivolously refute people due to personal issues. Fortunately only you're taking it personally.

in fact thats all you have... just words :rolleyes:

Isn't that all you have as well? Aside from your favorite emoticon, that is.

I would have said that to anyone

Doubt it.

I thought it was "creative"

Unfortunately, creative doesn't always mean effective, and by that I mean funny.

Would you like to take this to PM or are you and I going to cause many threads to become locked?

Everytime I respond to something, you have to quote and refute it. I see many of your posts and don't do anything because I'm more mature than that; I don't feel the need to frivolously refute people due to personal issues. Fortunately only you're taking it personally.

Trust me, you are not that important that I have to respond to every one of your posts. You are more mature than that? What are you talking about? Seems like somone here is taking things a little personal. You see many of my posts but don't do anything about it? Okay, I'm sure thousands do too. Refute people? Umm am I missing something, perhaps you are blinded by the fact that whenever somone has an idea you have to respond burning thier bridge down, and you call that mature and refuting? Out of all the people that I know, I would have at least expected you to have the greater honor in not burning peoples ideas down, especially considering that you are a creative writer.. but perhaps karma has it's ways.

Isn't that all you have as well? Aside from your favorite emoticon, that is.
Actually no, I don't have just words. I have quite a slew of professional experiences and certifications/degrees to back myself up, you on the other hand have a arts degree in creative writing... not much going for ya there in technicality issues.

Doubt it.

Because lets not forget, you are the all important one here. Where do you think I get most of my posts from? Following you around? I think not. Perhaps you want to get to the understanding that you are not the all important person here and the world and posts do not revolve around you.

Unfortunately, creative doesn't always mean effective, and by that I mean funny.
Welcome to the internet buddy. Not everyone is going to share your ideas of funny. Perhaps, as said again, you want to look at yourself and realize the world does not revolve around you?

Would you like to take this to PM or are you and I going to cause many threads to become locked?
Like I said before, I'm not following you around nor care to respond to everyone of your posts, perhaps I don't care to PM either? You seem to have a hard time dropping things, do you really need to flex the art skills that you obtained?

whenever somone has an idea you have to respond burning thier bridge down, and you call that mature and refuting? Out of all the people that I know, I would have at least expected you to have the greater honor in not burning peoples ideas down, especially considering that you are a creative writer.. but perhaps karma has it's ways.
First, stop using clichés.

Second, I don't refute everyone. Touché on the absolute statements, eh?

Third, do you know what karma is? Karma does not affect one's current life, but the next one. You might enjoy reading about Buddhism.

Fourth, Creative Writing has no relation to one's morals regarding "burning people's bridges down." Do you even know what that cliché means?

Actually no, I don't have just words. I have quite a slew of professional experiences and certifications/degrees to back myself up, you on the other hand have a arts degree in creative writing... not much going for ya there in technicality issues.

This would be a valid point, except we aren't arguing about technical issues. By the way, thank you for your three or four visits to my website, indicating you've viewed my profile each time and clicked on my website. And you say you aren't following me around.

Because lets not forget, you are the all important one here. Where do you think I get most of my posts from? Following you around? I think not. Perhaps you want to get to the understanding that you are not the all important person here and the world and posts do not revolve around you.
I've never claimed to be important here. You're making that stretch, and it's qutie flattering. I also didn't claim that posts revolve around me. I've no idea from where you snatched that crazy notion.

Welcome to the internet buddy. Not everyone is going to share your ideas of funny. Perhaps, as said again, you want to look at yourself and realize the world does not revolve around you?
Not your buddy. And it wasn't funny. Find someone who thinks it is and I'll revoke my opinion. If they say 'LOL' it doesn't count.

And again, you're the only one making any claims about what revolves around me.

Like I said before, I'm not following you around nor care to respond to everyone of your posts, perhaps I don't care to PM either? You seem to have a hard time dropping things, do you really need to flex the art skills that you obtained?
I don't care. Don't PM then. It's not my thread that'll get locked because we can't stay on topic.

I could easily drop this if you could as well. You've clearly taken me far too seriously and feel the same need that I do to defend myself.

Call me crazy.. but why have we let these people back out into society at all?

Pop a bullet in their head and be done with it. you molest a kid, you have no use to society any longer. No one has ever "come clean" from this kind of sick addiction..

But a more realistic approach would be to register their computer IP and Mac address. If they are found on the internet using any other computer or connection, send them to max security for 10 years, no parole.

Or, knock all this legislative masturbation to the circular file and just off the sick bastards.

Because it's 2007 and we still value human life, both physically and the emotionally. And do you have any proof that no one changes their ways?

I do agree to an extent. If you're not gonna keep them in jail, then you better do a better job monitoring them. Do sex offenders have people to periodically check in with, like a parole officer?

It's good that neighbors are notified of a sex offender moving in, but it's not enough. Legislators aren't focusing on the fundamentals. Registering email isn't as far as registering their network adapter and knowing exactly what they're doing. What about registering their car and having a GPS tracker?

I cannot agree that sexual offenders should be executed. I don't see abuse as being worse than murder. Maybe the consequences aren't bad enough. Unfortunately people find alcohol and drugs and they forget about the legal system. Hormones over laws, right? :(

Death by snoo-snoo! :D

Because it's 2007 and we still value human life, both physically and the emotionally. And do you have any proof that no one changes their ways?

I do agree to an extent. If you're not gonna keep them in jail, then you better do a better job monitoring them. Do sex offenders have people to periodically check in with, like a parole officer?

It's good that neighbors are notified of a sex offender moving in, but it's not enough. Legislators aren't focusing on the fundamentals. Registering email isn't as far as registering their network adapter and knowing exactly what they're doing. What about registering their car and having a GPS tracker?

I cannot agree that sexual offenders should be executed. I don't see abuse as being worse than murder. Maybe the consequences aren't bad enough. Unfortunately people find alcohol and drugs and they forget about the legal system. Hormones over laws, right? :(

Death by snoo-snoo! :D
A fellow Futurama watch eh?

Anyway, tracking them on the internet just doesn't work as well as a complete block. How are they suppose to get around the system if they can't access the information on how to do it? ;) A nice external web filter should be a nice addition to their computer view habits, as well as monitoring and flagging potential things. And when I say monitoring, I mean every single key stroke.

Why not just ban them for all electronic and communications devices... like they do to hackers.

Why spend tax payers money on intricate systems, tracking, and such when you can just save money and stop the root of the cause.

Why not just ban them for all electronic and communications devices... like they do to hackers.

Why spend tax payers money on intricate systems, tracking, and such when you can just save money and stop the root of the cause.

Because they need to reintegrated into society and lead a full life because they earned it back :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

/sarcasm off now

A fellow Futurama watch eh?

Anyway, tracking them on the internet just doesn't work as well as a complete block. How are they suppose to get around the system if they can't access the information on how to do it? ;) A nice external web filter should be a nice addition to their computer view habits, as well as monitoring and flagging potential things. And when I say monitoring, I mean every single key stroke.

I also talked about a block though, one similar to a school's if not more harsh.

But by releasing them back into the public, regardless of if we should or not, we're implying that they deserve to have some kind of a life again. They invaded someone else's privacy and violated them, but as a human they need some themselves, with a leash on.

Too bad we can't put up Wanted (or Sexual Offender) posters like in the Old West. :p

I also talked about a block though, one similar to a school's if not more harsh.

But by releasing them back into the public, regardless of if we should or not, we're implying that they deserve to have some kind of a life again. They invaded someone else's privacy and violated them, but as a human they need some themselves, with a leash on.

Too bad we can't put up Wanted (or Sexual Offender) posters like in the Old West. :p

Why would you want a sexual offender? :p You sick duck! lol

So you want them to have a normal life and re-try at it but then you want to impliment a nazi filtering rule block on them?

Remember your own quote, you mentioned this is 2007. If you want them to have some kind of life again you can't do such actions.

Please indicate in my posts where the word NORMAL shows up. Thank you.

:rolleyes: Good job nitpicking!!! Regardless of what word I used or didn't use, my statement still stands against your statement

:rolleyes: Good job nitpicking!!! Regardless of what word I used or didn't use, my statement still stands against your statement

It's about what word I didn't use. And good observation that your statement stands against mine. I wouldn't have known that. Good job being obvious.

I never said they should return to a normal life. Talk about nitpicking, you read into what I say more than is needed.

It's about what word I didn't use. And good observation that your statement stands against mine. I wouldn't have known that. Good job being obvious.

I never said they should return to a normal life. Talk about nitpicking, you read into what I say more than is needed.

You say I'm obvious... umm.. you were the one pointing out that you didn't say "Normal" (I quote so you won't assume anymore.

You lost the argument, why don't you start arguing the facts instead of trying to derail in an attempt to discredit your opponent argumentor?

Back