Severe BenQ Smearing

BigDH01

Limp Gawd
I recently upgraded my video card to a 4870 with my old BenQ 241W monitor. After awhile, I noticed a smearing issue that I hadn't had, or at least hadn't noticed, with my 8800gts. That monitor developed a line of stuck pixels on the left-hand side, so I was hoping that the smearing was a result of some other defect in the overdrive circuitry. I RMA'd that panel and received a 241WZ. I'm noticing the same issue and am finding it extremely annoying.

I have an old Dell 2001fp also attached to this vid card and it is much, much better. This 16ms panel makes the 241 look like an old 25 or 35 ms panel. However, this is only noticeable with very dark grays and blacks. For example, if I open MS Paint and create the darkest gray box possible and put a black circle in said box and move this window around my screen, it will leave a trail 1 to 2 inches in length with even a little speed. This does not happen on my Dell. If I put a lighter color circle in the box, I can see purple edges but little smearing which indicates that the overdrive is working. If I use the smooth image (whatever it's called) feature, the black on gray smearing is much better but the flickering is unbearable.

I can tell you that I would've noticed this for many years when I had my original 241W. This is extremely annoying and reminds me of the old 1901fp monitor that I returned to Dell for smearing. Even this forum's gray bars around the topics smear quite badly. Has anyone noticed that a change in video card causes extreme smearing?

For reference, I turned the blue down to 47 (and I still think this monitor is a bit blue), the contrast is 45, and brightness is 22.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I might just get a new monitor.

I've noticed that a change in drivers causes less ghosting. This is with a Samsung p2370 though.

Back