Severe artifacting during cold boot

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
For the past several days, whenever I cold boot, my primary monitor has extreme artifacting. So extreme that I took a video of it with my BlackBerry.

http://www.toofiles.com/en/oip/videos/3gp/1fvrs6-hpam59-lv92y6.html
If you watch the video, note that my secondary monitor is connected to the primary DVI output. With the monitors connected normally, the monitor on the right starts immediately with a cloudy gray/white screen (when it should be black). Also note that the honeycomb pattern you see on my logon screen is part of the wallpaper.

I've never had a monitor or video card epically fail, so this isn't familiar territory. And because this artifacting has happened not too long after receiving a replacement GTX 260 from EVGA, I'm even more torn. That's not to say that the replacement video card hasn't introduced its own issues though. First I was suffering BSODs every day. I ran memtest, Orthos, and prime95. All clean. I then flashed my BIOS to the latest firmware, which also restored default settings, which dropped my OC, and the BSODs disappeared. Perhaps an issue with my OC, although I had it running at 3.6 for almost two years, since I first assembled the system, and didn't notice any issues.

Asus P5Q Pro
E8400 @ 3.6 (now at stock 3.0)
Corsair HX620
2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800

EVGA has already approved RMA #2 with a free shipping label to ship back the first replacement card. Is my monitor coincidentally going bad, or is it something the video card is producing?

Things I've noticed:
  • Switching the DVI ports each monitor uses makes no difference. The Asus still artifacts and the other monitor displays normally.
  • After cold booting and seeing the artifacts, the monitor still has the mangled picture after disconnecting it, and I noticed a subtle high-pitched buzz/squeal coming from it this past boot up.
  • I hope to be able to connect the monitor to my file server and cold boot it to see if it really is the monitor.

yeah sounds like the monitor is bad. try connecting it to a laptop or other computer asap to find out. how old is it? if its still under warranty you should see about an rma on it. if its past warranty, google your model to see if anyone else has had similar issues. if nothing, take out the controller board and bake it. :)

The Asus website says to contact the point of sale. My Newegg invoice states a 30-day return policy, and then lists the Asus helpdesk URL. Which is it?

Hmmm... aren't you dealing with NewEgg and not Asus? I would contact NewEgg about this if you purchased the monitor within 30 days.

I bought it Feb 2009. I meant that the invoice lists Newegg's 30-day replacement warranty, and then lists the Asus help desk URL as if you're supposed to contact them after 30 days.

Back