Setup for testing video cards

quiktake

Gawd
Not sure where to put this...

A buddy of mine sells high end video cards and needs somebody to test the returns. He wants to give me $10 each card.

Is a z68 motherboard and a dual core Pentium sufficient for running Heaven and Furmark for 30 minutes? I assume neither benchmark is cpu limited and would suffice. All have all the other components necassary including a 750watt seasonic power supply.

If its only to test stability, dual core should be fine. I'd nix Furmark, unless you are wanting to heat the card up to its max, and probably add valley or firestrike.

Heaven is nice though :D

for video card testing heat is key. that way you can tell if the heating system is fully funtional and there are no artifacts. Are there any games that are famous for showing artifacting that heaven and furmark wouldn't show as easily?

3DMark series is pretty good as stress tests. I'd just loop each graphics test from 06 til now for 15 minutes. Then loop heaven for 1 hour. Then Valley for 1 hour. Should be good then, I think.

If you just want to make sure that it works I think your set up should be fine. Now if you want to benchmark it and whatnot I think you would need to upgrade your platform so that your platform's CPU doesn't bottleneck the high end GPU whatever it may be.

Back