Setup advice for desktop

abnorm

n00b
I currently have Dynaudio BM5A monitors hooked up to my desktop though E-MU 1616M soundcard. I use to do sound editing, but now I just want a nice setup for music listening. BM5A sound good, but very clinical (not musical). Maybe they just need a sub?

I also have Denon AVR-2805 + a pair of Monitor Audio S1 speakers that haven't been used in a while. Would this setup work ok for close listening on computer table? Or can you recommend something else? I am interested in a nice 2.1 setup.

Well this isn't something I see every day. :D

First thing I'd do personally is hook up the receiver and S1s and see how they sound compared to the BM5As. There's nothing like an old-fashioned listening test to see which you like better, and since both are in hand...

Close listening with speakers tends to be somewhat problematic, and it's mostly a physics issue. Although if you get really, really close then the physics starts helping and it gets much easier to build well instead - and then we call them headphones (farking optimization problems). For now, I would just see if you like the S1 setup. I'm going to assume the sound card you have probably has a solid DAC circuit, but I doubt it can match up to the amplification in even a cheap receiver just because of the size involved. This alone might make up the difference.

Ah, room pics and size would help. I am full of ideas. Like setting the speakers up for a or b listening with the speakers in different positions. Like put the Missions in a wider, further away, more traditional position to give you a larger sound stage. You could just push back a few feet to get this effect. Just ideas.

if you're not happy with the nearfield performance of the monitor audio speakers you could try to apply a little EQ on the dynaudio speakers. maybe you could improve the "clinic" sound with a bit bass and treble boost.

I have them hooked up through a Mackie mixer with EQ. It helps a little bit, but I am still not happy with the sound. I will try to connect my S1 speakers through the Denon receiver this weekend, but without a subwoofer they probably won't help much.

You have good equipment. I think that you could do better sure. Almost always the case.

Sounds as if you want a more natural, live sound.

First, do some room treatments to ensure that you are getting the most out of what you have. Then start looking for new equipment if you are still unhappy.

This company is wonderful and the most affordable of its kind. You will be amazed at what happens when your room is right.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

Back