Setting up Win 2003 Router

jkal

n00b
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Messages
35
Hello: I am looking for some help setting up my Windows 2003 Server box as a router on my network. The machine has two nics. I have a DHCP scope set up handing out 192.168.x.x address's and that is working fine. I also have attempted to setup the DNS portion, but need a little help there as well.

My main issue here is how to go about setting up the 2003 box to do routing. Ex. I am trying to get a few other computers, xbox, etc to access the internet through the '03 Server.

Do I go about this through Routing & Remote Access?'

How do I go about confiuring my two nics with IP schemes? IP? SNM? Default Gateway? etc.

Where does my ISP's IP address come into play here?

Any help regarding this topic would be great. Thanks in advance!
 
yes, routing and remote access. your outside interface is likely going to be DHCP, and you wont need to mess with that. there is a wizard to set up the RRaS with, it should have you on the right track in no time. im not sure what you mean by those other questions (ie, SNM), but youll set up the RRaS to be the gateway for everything else. look for an option like that.

btw, the internal nic will not need a default gateway specified.
 
Thanks for the reply.

The main problem is whenever I have DHCP running on the server, it conflicts and fights with the DHCP coming off the cable modem. So, what do I do about that?

I think basically what I need here is for someone to come along and straight up tell me step by step how to set this thing all up. From the DHCP scope, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS, RRaS? If any static routes need to be added in etc. That would be great!
 
On the outside NIC, set the TCP/IP to automatically get IP/Netmask and DNS from DHCP.

Set up the DHCP for only on the inside NIC so it will assign the machines on the internal network with those IP information.

Set up the routing to route from internal to external. It should automatically load from what the outside NIC is using as the external route.

Hope I am clear.
 
I'm not sure that this matters or not, but I am begining to think that it does. I am using VM Ware to simulate the 2003 server. The problem is that when setting up the two NICs in RRaS, it just shows the virtual adapters.

So I am in need of someone who is familiar with the way VM Ware shares/bridges adapters so I can get a clearer understanding.

Or... is this setup even possible through VM Ware to begin with? I don't see why not.

Thanks.
 
I use vmware server for my needs too.

The Windows 2003 guests does not even know that they are being ran inside a vmware host.

They are ran just like they are separate physical servers.
 
SilenceGold, since you have been the only one replying; I thank you for that.

Anyway possible you could give me the run through, step-by-step on how to set this all up and make it work?
 
Back
Top