Setting Up Turn-in Folder For Class

ElectroPulse

Limp Gawd
EDIT: This question has been answered (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040433277&postcount=12)

Hello, all!

I've run into some trouble setting up folder permissions for a turn-in folder that will be mapped on the student computers in the lab, where they can turn in completed assignments.

I'd like to know: How (if there is a way) can I make it so that students can submit work, see the file there, but not open/edit/delete it?

I would like them to be able to copy files/folders in, and have visual confirmation that it was indeed copied. However, I would like to disallow reading of said files so that they cannot just copy someone else's work.

The problem I'm running into is that the "list folder/read data" are combined... I want to list the contents of the folder, but do not want students to be able to read the data.

Currently it's set up like a black hole... They cannot see their files, so have no way of knowing whether it was copied successfully.

If that's not possible, here's another idea:

The main turn-in folder only allows copying files in, no viewing. However, when Student1 copies a file or folder into the turn-in folder, certain permissions are automatically applied to said file/folder that allow them to view it/open it, but not edit it.

Any way to do either of these?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

Last edited:
Not really the answer you are looking for, but you could give each student their own folder.

turn_in/
(world-readable, nothing else)

turn_in/studentA
( full controll for student A)

turn_in/studentB
(full controll for student B)

turn_in/...

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm... The thought crossed my mind, but not necessarily liking the idea of needing to create a folder for each student (any way to auto-generate one for each user?). I also like the ability to just copy+paste all contents into the appropriate assignment/class's folder after each class period... Makes it easier for grading.

After messing around with it for a while longer, it looks like there is no way to do it... As long as a file is visible, it can be opened...

May just have them put the files into a folder named StudentName_Assignment then copy it into the turn-in folder (folders can be visible with no ill-effects), so that they can have some visual confirmation of it being in there.

This is getting a bit more complicated, but you could always give them read/write to their individual turn-in directory, and then create a scheduled task that runs at the end of the period (or whatever) that runs as a more priviledged user and moves any submitted files to another directory that the students do not have access to.

Personally I use git, so they get version control on their assignments. After At X o clock I run a script to download every assignment and I use that version for the correction !

If your using active directory setup homedrives in AD and it will create the folders and permissions.

Grant the students Create permissions and List permissions, but deny them Modify and Read and Write permissions.

This allows them to write to the directory, but not change or delete what they've written once it's there or copy someone's work.

Why not use the CREATOR OWNER system account? Then set that for read/list. Give EVERYONE write permissions. Then they should only be able to see documents that they upload, no one else.

Grant the students Create permissions and List permissions, but deny them Modify and Read and Write permissions.

This allows them to write to the directory, but not change or delete what they've written once it's there or copy someone's work.

Indeed. Remember deny takes priority over allow.

What system/platform is this on? If it's like a standard Windows machine or windows shared network drive/folder, I think your only option is what jabbernotty said--a folder for each student. However, wouldn't there be some conflict where a student decided to delete their original submission, and submit a newer/modified version after the deadline? Unless there's some sort of permissions time window that can be set up, where the folder is only given read/write access at and for a specific time.

Aren't there web apps or free services for document submission? I'd heard of 'Drupal' in the past (it's free AFAIK), but have never used it. I think its context was more for enterprise-level document tracking, but there's no reason why it couldn't work here.

HECK YES.

Just figured it out, while working on permissions for something else...

In the folder that you wish to contain the files in, set a permission for "CREATOR OWNER" with with everything but modify permissions, and have it for subfolders and files only... Then set up a permission for a group that the students will be a part of, set it for "this folder only," and under "Special Permissions" select the following: Traverse folder/execute file, Listfolder/read data, Read attributes, read extended attributes, create files/write data, create folders/append data, and read permissions. Then they are able to turn in assignments, ONLY see their files and folders, and not be able to modify/delete their work once it's submitted! :D

EDIT: Oh... Looks like someone already posted the answer, but I missed it... Not sure if I didn't come back since he made the post, or if I didn't understand what the "CREATOR OWNER" account was at the time... Anyway, it is now working :D

We run Google Apps for Education, it's free.

Than we created accounts for each student, and use Google Drive.

We use a script called gClassFolders, with Google Drive to create a turn-in, handout, and grading environment. Also teachers have been using it to do real-time work with students.

It was easy to do, and works well. Plus!!! It's all free!!!!!!!!!

Back