Setting up printer on network

Timdog

Gawd
My parents just got a new printer and need me to set it up so that all the computers in the house can print from it. That means my desktop, my dad's work laptop (old IBM thinkpad with win2000), their shared desktop, and my mom's MacBook. We have a wireless router with a simple wireless network set up.

I first tried installing the printer to my desktop, which runs vista. The printer was just plugged into the wall though I did have it join our network. My computer was easy, it detected the printer over the wireless network and I installed the drivers to get it working. Only problem is when I add it on the other computers, they have to go through my desktop in order to print so my desktop always has to be on. I would rather have it be my parent's desktop that is the print "server" since I'm at college so my desktop isn't on for weeks at a time.

I tried deleting the printer from my desktop and tried adding it first with their desktop and it doesn't pick up the printer. What else can I try? Their desktop is running XP.

is the printer network printer or is it just usb only?

if its usb just install the printer to whatever computer stays on, right click on it and share it.

on the other computers to go start > run type in the \\computernameofprintserver and double click on printer.

if its a network printer, or wireless printer, join it to the wireless network and then run the installer program on each computer.

is the printer network printer or is it just usb only?

if its usb just install the printer to whatever computer stays on, right click on it and share it.

on the other computers to go start > run type in the \\computernameofprintserver and double click on printer.

if its a network printer, or wireless printer, join it to the wireless network and then run the installer program on each computer.

It's wireless. Didn't even come with a USB cable. I'll try inserting the CD with the printer removed from my computer but it just seems like the other computers can't pick it up and have to go through mine first.

u sure you joined it to the wireless?

go into the menus on the printer itself, should be one for network, join it to the wireless, then get the ip address.

go into a web browser and go to that ip address, i generally then give it a manual ip.

now on each machine just try pinigng that IP

then install and select network installation.

what kind of printer, hp or what?

Back