Setting up pfSense under ESXi

-=bb=-

n00b
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a pfSense firewall with an Untangle machine behind it and am having some difficulties.

This is all being done under ESXi if that makes any difference.

I am using 3 virtual switches (called LAN, UntangleBridge and ADSL).

Intitially my configuration was :

To LAN I have a single machine connected (XP VM for testing) and the LAN connection of Untangle (in bridged mode)/ No NICs associated with this switch under ESXi
To UntangleBridged I have the WAN conenction of Untangle and the LAN connection of pfSense. there are no NICs associated with this under ESXi
To ADSL I have the WAN connection of pfSense and the NIC that is associated with this switch is connected directly to the ADSL modem. I also have another VM XP box connected to this for testing purposes.

However, I couldn't get it to work at all in this configuration so have removed the Untangle box to see if I can get everything up and running just behind the pfSense so that I can diagnose what the problem is (well, I know the problem is me, but exactly what it is I am doing wrong ;))

My current configuration is

A single XP VM (XP_LAN) and the LAN connection of pfSense on the LAN vSwitch and a single XP VM (XP_WAN) box and the WAN connection of pfSense on the ADSL vSwitch.

So far I can get to the stage where :

From XP_WAN (using the modem as a default gateway) I can ping external sites, surf, ping the WAN port of pfSense. Everything works fine behind the ADSL modem as far as I can see.
From pfSense command line I can ping the ADSL modem, ping external sites, telnet to port 80 of external sites, ping XP_WAN and ping the LAN interface.
From XP_LAN I can resolve hostnames, can ping both LAN and WAN interfaces on the pfSense VM but I cannot ping anything externally including other sites, XP_WAN or the ADSL modem.

From my initial testing, it looks like everything is OK between the modem and the WAN interface of pfSense but there must be a configuration problem in pfSense that is preventing devices on the LAN reaching further than the WAN interface.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot from here?

Many thanks in advance.

Further information

XP_LAN : 192.168.5.169, g/w 192.168.5.1
pfSense LAN : 192.168.5.1
pfSense WAN : 192.168.10.10 g/w 192.168.10.1
XP_WAN : 192.168.10.99 g/w 192.168.10.1
ADSL modem : 192.168.10.1

pfSense rules currently in place :

WAN : Allow all (Proto : *, Source *, Port *, Dest *, Gateway *, Queue none, Schedule Blank). Block Private Networks unchecked, Block bogon networks checked.
LAN :Allow all (Proto : *, Source *, Port *, Dest *, Gateway *, Queue none, Schedule Blank). Otherwise default Anti Lockout and allow LAN to any.

Screenshots:

Problem solved : something must have gone wrong on the first install. Ran up a second pfSense VM with identical configuration and it worked first time.

bb

Back