Setting up Nework in my room project log

darkmyth

Gawd
We've got redhat up and running installed the new ram ::thanks to fraggster for selling to to me:: $5 shipped for two sticks of 32mb edo ram.

Running into more problems though :rolleyes: the mobo has a limit of how much ram it will recognize so we've only got 14 more mb recognized from the original 32 that was in there. Running smoother though. Still chugg's along. We're attempting to get fluxbox set up on it but we're haveing some problems with it. I downloaded the source tarball from:

http://www.fluxbox.sourceforge.net

runs only on 2mb of ram =D outside of the ram whore of kde. but we can't get it to go without errors with the ./configure command. says we don't have x window libraries and d something. which we run kde so come on now the libraries are there.

The mouse is run through com2 which works for some reason. We've got one nic working. and linux finally recognized my second nic in the box. We are going to get fluxbox running first though since we need to get the box running faster.

will get pictures once we get fluxbox up and running. And if anyone can suggest pics for a background on fluxbox. Themed of course. Going to have mostly black and some blue maybe on the apps.

you know it would have been a lot easier to just run like www.freesco.org or soemthing right ;)

and clean those wires!!! OMG!!! :eek: ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
you know it would have been a lot easier to just run like www.freesco.org or soemthing right ;)

and clean those wires!!! OMG!!! :eek: ;)

haha I plan on cleanen up those wires once we get everything up and running. Untill then it's going to be messy :eek: haha.

hmm I'm just gunna run it the way we are i guess haha. Fluxbox is to replace kde. limited on memory.

successfully compiled and ./configured fluxbox
then ran make and then make install
Got everything else set up and now we just have to configure dhcp and other router configs for it.

(this box is acting as my default gateway for people who haven't read above)

dhcp is haveing dipendancies problems etc. bleh... finally got a theme working on fluxbox but the background image won't be shown and can't figure out how to get it to work. I added backgrounds dir into the .fluxbox directory and added the glass.jpg pic to it. Then went to the init file and put ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds/glass.jpg in the command line with bsetbg.

session.screen0.rootCommand: bsetbg -f ~/backgrounds/zimdib_dark.png they say to list it like that on the fluxbox web-site but it doesn't work.
http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docbook/en/html/chap-bg.html#themes is the address to their site.

went to office max and bought a 5 port d-link switch

lan diagram updated:
lan diagram 4.JPG

This will be the lan that i'll be setting up and will also be adding more computers to it as I go. (get a job and get the money for a system)

We've got dhcpd installed and running, also got iptables configured. Now we are in the process of seeing if the dhcpd is handing out ip's. Then I need to rewire some cat5 and then get to bring it home and set it up :D

Jan -16 -04

::Today (plus some days in the past)::
I have installed and got vnc up and running on my redhat server and have winvnc installed on my main rig at home. I got dhcp up and running. I got iptables set up and filtering packets. I also have samba running and got a shared folder assigned to my local network.

::Tommarow::
I'm going to be setting up the http site and the ftp server. Then going to lug it home at lunch time if I get done before the end of the class hour.

::networking things i got::
d-link 5 port switch
home made awg-24 cat5 straight through cables
home made awg-24 cat5 crossover cable
tables and work benches for computers.

Man I wish my cisco teacher knew anything about linux...we dont have a single linux box in our shool... *cries*

Sounds like you have a pretty cool teacher.. I hope your project turns out alright :D

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
Neat :) Make sure you test those cables to save yourself a lot of possible headache. hehe

haha already tested um, cisco teacher lent my a cat5 tools box, with fluke tester, crimper, scissors, and sheathing stripper.

Originally posted by ksanders2006
Man I wish my cisco teacher knew anything about linux...we dont have a single linux box in our shool... *cries*

Sounds like you have a pretty cool teacher.. I hope your project turns out alright :D

just be like "you need to learn how to use linux now you bastard!"

I run a lan counter-strike server in the cisco room, on a redhat 9 rackmount server machine as well with raid 5. Been getting some lagg lately but for the most part smooth as heck.

Got everything setup and running now on my network. I'll be uploading and hosting some pictures of the network sometime soon onto my apache server.

Back