Setting up New Laptop - Basic Software Questions

airrob

n00b
Alright guys, I'm setting up my new laptop, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Anti-virus software. We have a couple options here. My school offers me Symantec Corporate 10 for free - but I installed that and it takes up like 30 megs of memory. (Granted, I have a gig, but still.) We also have AVG and Avast, or any other free software. Is that sort of memory usage by Symantec normal and I should just deal with it, or should I switch to an alternative?

2. Software firewall. Most of the time I'll be connecting from behind a router, but when I take my laptop say to class or the library, I'll be on the open Internet. Is the Windows XP firewall sufficient? If not, which software firewall would you recommend - ZoneAlarm, Kerio, something else?

3. Media playing. I remember a list that said everything one needed to play media files. This included Media Player Classic, Real Alternative, QT Alternative, FFDShow, etc. Anybody remember where this was, or what programs I need? Also, would you guys recommend Winamp Lite or Full?

4. Instant messaging. I have been using Trillian, but it's lack of being able to view HTML in profiles is really annoying. Is there an decent alternative? I need something that works with AIM and MSN preferably, but AIM only would be ok too.

5. Wireless router. The WRT54G gets a lot of talk around here, but both raving about it and people saying they can't get it to work at all. Is there something better, or should I just suck it up and get this? And if so, which firmware should I use? HyperWRT, Sveasoft, other?

Thanks for your help in advance.

1) AVG
2) I use a router, otherwise i use ZoneAlarm. somebody else can answer that. theres something else better than that
3) iTunes for audio. i rarely watch movies, but when i do i just use windows media player or DivX.
4) just 'acquire' Trillian Pro 3.1 ;)
5) i highly recommend the linksys WRT54G. i dont personally own it, but its highly regarded as the best. somebody else can direct you to third-party firmware.

1) Check with your school's admin. They might test and kick you off the network if they find you're not using Symantec. If you're free to use whatever you want, then you might consider NOD32.

2) I'm happy with the XP Firewall. If you're not, and you must leave ports open, then maybe you should go with ZoneAlarm.

3) I'm happy with Windows Media Player. I guess I should say I'm resigned to using it; Real Player has its stupid adds and always-on connection. The MusicMatch Jukebox has a terrible UI. I don't like WinAmp's playlist manager. The Windows Media Player UI is garrish, as far as I'm concerned.

4) I don't IM, so I'll pass on this one.

5) I use a WAP54G. I'm quite happy with it. I've got the HyperWAP firmware to jack the power up.

1. AVG
2. Kerio 2.1.5
3. VLCPlayer is all you'll need.
4. For trillian, i had a plugin to view html in profiles.
5. i use the wrt54g w/ the firmware wifi-box, and i like it.

The Windows Media Player Classic will play Real and Quicktime. That is what its for, so drop Quicktime and Realplayer off of your list.

Back