Setting up new home network from scratch

Pez

[H]ard|Gawd
Greetings experts. I recently purchased a "new-to-me" home, and want to wire it up all the rooms. I also plan on setting up a media server and home security system, but those are topics for another time. I'll be using AT&T Uverse for internet (best I can get in my area). I've never made my own wires before, but I'm looking forward to learning a new (albeit basic) skill. I will have help with running the wires in the walls from someone experienced with doing that.

I'm hoping I can get some help on all the items I'll need. I'm starting completely from scratch, so I'll need everything. Here's what I'm thinking I'll need, but I'll need recommendations and suggestions, as I have sadly not kept current with any of this technology.
Items:
Bulk cables (cat6 I'm guessing)
Network-wiring toolkit (w/ tester)
Wall plates
Patch panel
Router

Thanks in advance.

You won't need a router, you probably already have AT&T stupid residential gateway. You just need a gigabit switch. You should be able to plug your PC's and TV's into the switch, then uplink your switch into the AT&T gateway.

I love AT&T's TV service, but I absolutely hate their ridiculous gateway. I wish they would just provide us with a simple modem so I could use my own router/firewall like every other ISP.

I actually will be using DirecTV instead of Uverse for TV. I'll only be using AT&T for internet.

Any recommendations on any of the parts? I'm especially interested in getting a good networking kit.

For an abundance of smaller network cables - monoprice.com is great - otherwise buy a box of cat6 for the drops. For switches, I usually stick with a gigabit 24 port made by cisco - maybe a small business smart switch?

rj45 connectors: http://www.platinumtools.com/products/100003.php - these are awesome because the wires push through and cut on the other end, no more bad crimps

They have an awesome tool as well.

The closest I would come to making cables would be punching down on the patch panel. It's so cheap to make cables so I'd go that route. Agree with Chandler, monoprice should be the one stop shop for all your layer 1 supplies like patch panel, box of cable, etc.

As far as equipment, Cisco is good, I prefer HP procurve for the warranty and ease of use.

AT&T Uverse best in the area! (run, run away as fast as you can)
Another vote for Monoprice for your network needs.
@ acascianelli
Couldn't you ask AT&T to put the gateway in bridge mode, so you can use your owner router?

Couldn't you ask AT&T to put the gateway in bridge mode, so you can use your owner router?

The gateway doesn't support true bridge mode, the best I can get is called DMZplus mode. I tried doing it this way, I didn't like how my TV's and computers were on 2 different segments of the network. My remote apps on my phone wouldn't work anymore.

I haven't tried putting the TV's behind the router on the DMZ yet. Because of wiring constraints, I'm unable to try that until I rewire a portion of my house.

If they use 2wires like my ISP theres a special firmware they can flash on the gateway to make it a "dumb modem". I asked my ISP about it and they did it for me.

If they use 2wires like my ISP theres a special firmware they can flash on the gateway to make it a "dumb modem". I asked my ISP about it and they did it for me.

I don't think that AT&T would be as willing to do this as your ISP. My gateway is a Motorola 3801HGV.

A few things, first monoprice is a great place to go for cables. If you are wiring your entire house, then I would suggest getting bundled AV/net cables for the rooms you plan to have TVs in. You could get something like one of these bundles:

bundled cables

If your friend has some experience with this, he may know some other places to get bundled cables. You can also find AV electricians that may give some advice. Looking on avsforums is a good place to get advice on wiring as well. The reason for the bundled cables is they are easier to run one cable up or down a floor to a room and carry all or most of the cables you will need, especially for flush or near flush speaker installations.

As for the home networking, what I have always done is buy my own wireless router and I connect its uplink to a DMZ port on the router/modem provided by the ISP. I put all my guests on the ISP router/modem and hide all my stuff behind my own router. Here is what my networking setup generally looks like:

ISP->Guest Network-> Protected wireless range for guests
->DMZ-> Firewall -> Home Router

Home Router-> Hide SSID -> Change network from 192.168.0.1/24 or 192.168.1.1/24 to 192.168.20.1/28 for wired and a /28 for wireless (or whatever your needs may be if allowed by router). Put reserved wired connections for your plugged in devices on MAC authentication. Keep a few ports for expansion or wired guests. Change wireless settings for WPA2 at least. I have authentication through the firewall also for my wireless, but that is a bit dramatic usually.

Now in my house I have a bunch of settings on my firewall for access restrictions. I also have a number of settings on my router for QoS. You don't really need to go that indepth. There are many home routers that come with simple firewalls and QoS features that can handle basic needs.

From the discussion, below is the list of things I plan on getting. This should cover my expected needs for quite some time. I figure 4 cables to the media rooms, 2 to the others. As far as AT&T goes, I could use Comcast, but I hate them more than I hate AT&T. Sadly, no Fios here in the Chicagoland area. My earlier research confirms what acascianelli is stating, that the AT&T router does not support a bridge mode. I think that was done to prevent people from using the home connections like a business (or force them to upgrade to a business connection). I'm definitely not a fan of their hardware, but what can you do with the monopolies here in the States...

Crimping tool from Home Depot (15% off stuff there, since I will be there anyway to buy new locks)

Amazon:
EZ-RJ45 (recommended by Chandler - are these really better/cost effective than the generic ones from Monoprice?)
CISCO SYSTEMS SG100D-08-NA 8 Port Gigabit Switch (I need some opinions on the switch, but this seems reliable from the reviews. 8 port should meet my needs for quite some time, despite the fact that I'll be wiring to support more.)

Monoprice:
12 port patch panel
Bulk cat6 cable (I'm going with the 24 AWG stranded one)
4 hole wall plate (x2)
2 hole wall plate (x8)
Cat6 Punch Down Keystone Jack (x20)

[edit: added] I'll have to think about bundled cables, as I still need to work out speaker placements and such.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
...My earlier research confirms what acascianelli is stating, that the AT&T router does not support a bridge mode...

You're gateway might have DMZplus mode, which is kind of half-ass bridge mode. If you absolutely need to use your own router, this would work. But I believe it would give you a double-NAT setup. And if you're TV's are connected by Ethernet, I'm not sure which LAN segment they would need to sit on to continue working.

My eventual goal is to have HTPC's for each TV, so there's a good chance I won't have smart TV's that need an internet connection.

The DMZ mode on the 2Wires do not double NAT. They assign a public IP right to the device. At least that's how our ISP does them. The gateway and the device in DMZ then each get their own public IP from the ISP.

Since you're going to punch this down, make sure to get solid cable, not stranded.

Home Router-> Hide SSID

Hiding the SSID does not significantly increase the security of the network and may affect battery life on portable devices that "remember" the network when they are away from the network.

To the OP:

I wouldn't worry about crimping, just get bulk solid core and punchdown to the wall plates and the patch panel. Buy premade patch cable as you generally don't want to use solid core for patch cable anyway and Cat6 can be difficult to crimp to spec.

To the OP:

I wouldn't worry about crimping, just get bulk solid core and punchdown to the wall plates and the patch panel. Buy premade patch cable as you generally don't want to use solid core for patch cable anyway and Cat6 can be difficult to crimp to spec.

Thanks dev. I've read several other threads on here that stated the same. I'll pick those up at a later time, as I've been seeing deals pop up on craigslist for cat6 cables every week or so, and I can get some at work.

I've got my orders in the respective shopping carts. Even with the S&H costs of the bulk cable from Monoprice, it's still more cost effective to get it there than from Amazon.

Final thoughts before I pull the trigger?

Amazon ($111.11):
Paladin Tools 70025 RJ45 Network Cable Tester Kit - Paladin Tools, $25.99
CISCO SYSTEMS SG100D-08-NA 8 Port Gigabit Switch - CISCO SYSTEMS - ENTERPRISE, $54.99
Platinum Tools 100010C EZ-RJ45 Cat 6+ Connectors, Clamshell, 50-Pieces, $30.13

Monoprice ($221.66):
2x Wall Plate for Keystone, 4 Hole - White, $0.76
10x Wall Plate for Keystone, 2 Hole - White, $3.40
1000FT 23AWG Cat6 500MHz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), Bulk Ethernet Bare Copper Cable - Orange, $105.24
20x Cat6 Punch Down Keystone Jack - White, $24.60
Cat6 Patch Panel 110 Type 24 Port (568A/B Compatible), $19.82
Punch-Down Impact Tool for 66 and 110/88 Type, $12.95
3 Ways Modular Plug Crimps, Strips, and Cuts Tool with Ratchet [HT-L2182R], $19.02
Adjustable Cable Jacket Stripper [HT-S501B], $4.55

Total: $332.77

Why'd you get orange cable? Lol. Not that it matters at all. Just curious.

Why 20 Keystones and a 24 port patch but only a 8 port switch?
How many devices are you going to run?
I understand making all the drops the first time i just don’t like re-buying switches.

Last edited:
Why'd you get orange cable? Lol. Not that it matters at all. Just curious.

I figured I'd go with something bright so it will be easier to spot when I run it through the attic. In a perfect world I'd want to run different colors to different rooms, but that isn't feasible for me at the present. Ultimately... it didn't really matter. Nobody should be seeing these anyway.

Why 20 Keystones and a 24 port patch but only a 8 port switch?
How many devices are you going to run?
I understand making all the drops the first time i just don’t like re-buying switches.

I don't expect to have that many active connections for quite some time, maybe 2 in the Family Room and 2 in the Living Room. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to wire up my office, or just run a cable hidden by floor boards. I don't take physical possession of the house until next week, so I don't know fully what I can and can't do w/o ripping up walls.

I'm not expecting to need more than 8 actual connections for awhile. I want to run 4 connections to each media room (ie. Living Room and Family Room), then run 2 to 3 bedrooms and possibly 2 to the kitchen (wife wants something in there, but I'm not certain that's doable).

But you're right, I'll need at least as many Keystones (28) as I have wall ports. If I need more hardware, I can always pick it up at Tiger Direct or Home Depot. In regards to the switch, something like NetGear ProSafe JGS524 v2 24 Port Gigabit External Switch Managed Stackable used off of Ebay might be a better route (more ports for about the same price). That way, I can immediately run a short patch cable from the port patch to the router.

Off topic - I'm rather surprised I'm finding used switches on Ebay for half the price of Craigslist (older model of the above linked switch). I could just get this guy's entire lab (sadly, I don't have the cash for that).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any reason why you're not just going wireless? Just curious. Yeah, gigabit is fun, but for most purposes (yes, even 1080p streaming) wireless is fine as long as you get some high quality wireless APs (think Cisco Aironet). You could save yourself a lot of dough on cables (and work!!).

Guess I should have asked what your budget is. Aironets may be out of the question as they're pretty expensive.

Last edited:
An Cisco Aironet looks to cost comparable to all the other gear I'm getting. For my future HTPC's, I wasn't planning on making them wireless. I'm know wireless would suit my needs (and I would go that route if I have to), but I'd prefer to use wires at the present.

I can understand that I suppose. To be honest, what you're doing sounds really fun. I wish I had the motivation to do it to my own house, but I don't. :/

If you use the ends that I suggested, get the platinum crimping tool as well. The tool will cut the wires on the other end for you so that you do not have to pluck them off yourself. It makes life simple - also I do not like the homedepot tools anyway.

Back