Setting up Netgear WNDR3700

Ghoststalker

Limp Gawd
Just purchased this router based on the sticky thread. I'll be using it for a home network, my wife connects primarily through wireless. My PC connects via a hard line, as does my Xbox 360 and printer. My PS3 / Wii use wireless.

Any recommendations for setting it up? What firmware should I go with? It looks like it supports DD-WRT but I've never used that firmware and I don't know if I should.

I have the same router and have been monitoring the DD-WRT thread for some time now. DD-WRT support is flakey at best...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53016&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am using the latest firmware and everything is fine for my use (two different wireless networks, one 2.4GHz and one 5GHz). A couple of issues that I have with the default firmware:
  • Port Mapping: Under the "UPnP" section, you obviously see the option to configure Port Mapping. But you cannot configure via the web interface. I need to use a third party UPnP program to program my port mappings... but if I reset/power cycle the router, I lose all the settings and have to re-program the mapping
  • WDS: When using the wireless repeating function, you can only specific WEP as the wirelelss protocol. I would like to see the option to use WPA-PSK

Other than that... it's a pretty awesome router!

Avoid DD-WRT for now!!! It may permanently screw up your wireless, as it has for a small percentage of users.

I would disable things your not using, personally I have disabled guest network, USB feature and net transfer statistics (still buggy).

Enjoy yours! I have two and love them!

i dont mean to hijack this thread but i just got this router and am having problems with dropped connections while using the N radio

does N wireless have bad wall penetration?

here is a diagram of my router in relation to my room while using my ipad

i had a linksys wrt54gl and didnt have this problem
i use my ipad in my room at night and all the doors from living room to my room are closed

housediagram.jpg

Back