Setting Up my first server

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
The other day I decided to buy myself a server to use as a local place on the network to have all my media. I want to setup a local domain but im have trouble doing it properly or something. When I try to connect my Workstations to it it says that it cannot find the domain.

Is there any good tutorials for doing this?
Im not using the Server for DHCP because im using a Wireless Dlink Router.
Any General Suggestions?

i guess you are using some flavor of windows server as you mentioned a domain and it is his first server.
Setting up a local domain is really not worth it, if you want to include roaming profiles and everything it just gets too slow. Setting up the group policy can also take hours.

Is the dns server set up correctly? Make sure dns is set up correctly on the server and then point your boxes to it in TCP/IP properties.

My server is simply on a workgroup running 2003 enterprise running file and print services. works great and i dont have to worry about domain slowdowns. Just for a media server this seems the way to go.

I should also tell you another need of mine is to be able to remote access several workstations over the internet or vpn.

Sounds like you don't have the machines dns point to the server. You can configure your router to give the dns servers out as the windows server. Either this or disable dhcp on the router and let the windows server handle it(which is what I would recomend).

As far as VPN goes all you need to do is setup windows server for vpn and forward the vpn port to it from the router. Router has to support vpn passthrough for this to work.

Setting up a local domain is really not worth it, if you want to include roaming profiles and everything it just gets too slow. Setting up the group policy can also take hours.

There are a few benefits, though. If all your computers are in a domain, you can set up Windows Software Update Services (WSUS) on the server, make a few changes to the group policy, and all the updates for MS software on your network is handled from the server. Also, a few lines in the group policy, one DHCP entry and a few in the registry and the server is an authoritative time server...it goes out and syncs time with an internet time server every so often, and keeps all your computers with the right time, all the time. There are others things too; these are just examples.

Back