Setting up mutliple xbox 360's

kinson

Gawd
Yeah, I have a question on setting up mutliple xbox 360s, I live with my parents and my dad thinks he has to have the house on lockdown because he's a "network administrator". So I have my xbox, ps3, and my brother has an xbox...

I don't have really any problems with ps3 connection, but xbox, I get kicked from games religiously, disconnected from live, and other stupid problems. He won't open the NAT, or even make it moderate. So, what other methods do we have to have mutliple xbox's at one time flawlessly?

quick responses appreciated ;)

Tell him a real network administrator would know something is wrong with the security system when it is keeping things from getting done correctly.

Xbox live is a bit tricky when it comes to ports even when UPnP is enabled. Sometimes it gets messed up and doesn't work properly even when the router is not the issue.

actuall opening ports is a bad ass idea..

tell him

A) enable NAT, as its inside your network and does a lot and it makes no sense to keep it closed..
B) Enable UPnp For the xboxs, its handy as the ports are opened temporarily and then closed after use.

C) get your own net for xbox.. you wont need a big download

port forwarding works best for 1 xbox, having two is a little tricky...

What kind of router do you have at home? If it is a business class router you might be able to vlan the game systems and seperate them from the rest of the home network. This would a good layer of protection without exposing the home computers.

I think the guy above me means, putting each xbox into its own vlan which separates traffic. If your dad is a net admin, then he's gotta have a managed switch at home. that can be done easily. I think the real problem is going to be port forwarding the xboxs. How would traffic on the internet know which xbox it needs to talk to? I dont have an xbox so i dont know what kind of settings you can change it to.

i do have a ps3 though, i just gave my ps3 a static ip then i am forwarding like 5 or 6 ports to the ps3. It made my settings go from 'strict' to 'open'

genius.

xbox uses 3 ports for live, and dozens for the games.. each game is independant the xbox hosts the games not on a server...

tell him to read the [H] rules about posting topics on circumventing network stuffs!

he's not asking how to circumvent security, but rather if it's possible to get it working in this particular situation. Big difference :p

I think the real question is... does this issue only occur when you both are on XBox Live? Or does it happen all the time?

For a test, disconnect one of them from the network for a night. Play on Live on the other.
If issue still happens, it has nothing to do with both XBoxes being on the network.

It happens all the time honestly, but it happens a lot more when both xboxs are running...

as for the douchebags above with the smart ass comments, you can suck my ass... You know nothing of my life situation, and you have no clue if I have a job or not... My life is not your concern, so fuck off...

It's a sonicwall pro 2040, but it's one that allows two modems to be ran through the single router

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it doesn't support the feature you need to have to make more than one xbox work on a single public IP. When DMZ is active, no port forwarding will work. The DMZ will over-ride everything. Nor can you forward the same outside ports to multiple inside ip's. The feature you are looking for is UPnP. A lot of business grade routers don't have it because it's a major security vulnerability should one of the pc's get a virus that can take advantage of UPnP, or *cough* kids with bit torrent and other p2p apps...

Two solutions:
#1 dump the Sonicwall for a more flexible business grade router, pfSense if my #1.
#2 get your dad to get more ip's from your internet company and setup 1:1 nat with the xbox ip's

You probably won't get to do either. I feel for you.

Damn I'm glad I've always had control over the network in my parents house.

EDIT: #3 Hope one of your neighbor's are stupid enough to leave their wifi open, that you get a good signal where your xbox is, and you have a wireless card.

Last edited:
lol I live out in the boondocks of Alabama, no neighbors within reach...

I kinda figured this would be the outcome, but it's all good, thank you very much for trying to help...

I give up lol

actually, it looks like it might be possible, depending on settings available in the router?

Since you are trying to make two Xbox consoles use those ports and you are trying to connect to a server, what you need to do is to use Port Range Triggering. You can't use Port Range Forwarding since it will only set those ports into listening mode to the IP address you set it. So if you use Port Range Forwarding it will only be open/available to one console(the one using the IP address).
YOU NEED TO USE PORT RANGE TRIGGERING.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4983-how-to-connect-two-xbox-360-consoles-on-a-network

The guy that wrote that guide is an idiot, it isn't port triggering that made it work, it was him enabling UPnP that made it work.

Port Triggering would dynamically allocate that triggered port to an xbox 360 inside the network. It still doesn't allow for multiple devices to use the same ports. It's Microsoft's fault for only allowing the UPnP method to work. There is nowhere on the 360 to specify that xbox live use non-standard ports.

Back