• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Setting Up HTPC with LCD TV

willy88

n00b
Joined
May 10, 2008
Messages
29
Hi guys,

I'm planning on building a HTPC and setting it up in my living room. I'm new to this, so if you don't mind, I've got a few questions to ask about setting it up. :)

My HTPC specs are:

Intel E8400 (Existing)
Zotac GeForce 9300 (MCP7a) motherboard
Pioneer BDC-203BK Blu-Ray Drive
500GB Seagate HDD
Hauppauge HVR-2200 Digital TV Tuner
Antec Veris Elite Remote
Corsair VX-450 PSU
Lian-Li V1000 case (Existing)
Kingston 1600Mhz RAM (Existing)
Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe

My TV is

LG 42LH50YD
http://www.lge.com/au/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-42LH50YD.jsp

Speakers: Non at the moment, but planning on getting something better soon. :)
__________________________________________________________________________

Ok, here are my question.

1. Without the Soundcard, I should just be able to connect the HPTC to my TV using a HDMI cable. Am I right?

2. With the soundcard, do I need to use a DVI cable for the video from Mobo to TV and a HDMI cable from the soundcard to the TV? Will that work?

3. If I'm doing it wrong, what is the best way to set up a HTPC with a TV? And if possible, another answer with speakers so I can refer back to this thread when I get the speakers. :)

Thanks a lot guys!

PS: I got those parts as those were the best parts available to me cause I'm in Australia. :)
 
the HDMI cable will carry both video and audio at the same time.... 1 cable


when you get a AVR just plug the HDMI cable into the AVR and then anther HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV

make sure the AVR you buy has the ability to play sound over HDMI as some do not
 
Ah k. But atm I don't have an AVR so I'll be directly plugging the htpc into my tv.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but does the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 support video? Its a soundcard but I'm confused about what it can do. If it can, that would make things a lot easier with just 1 HDMI cable.

Does it mean if any device has a HDMI connection, it can run both audio and video? eg: My video card has a HDMI input. Does that mean that it can play audio as well?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top